PDA

View Full Version : ISO: Zucchini Recipes

alien_host
07-11-2010, 02:43 PM
any kind...bread, side dish, MAIN dish....I'm overrun with zucchinis from my garden!

I usually grill them with olive oil, balsamic and herbs....but we will get tired of that quick.

jerigirl
07-11-2010, 02:46 PM
I have made this before. It is pretty good!
http://www.tasteofhome.com/Recipes/Dilly-Zucchini-Casserole

DebbieJ
07-11-2010, 02:47 PM
make zucchini bread!

www.allrecipes.com is my favorite recipe site. Search by ingredient and I'm sure you'll find a ton of recipes. I think I printed a zucchini risotto recipe from there but never tried it.

happymom
07-11-2010, 03:00 PM
Ratatouille is yummy. I don't usually follow a recipe- I usually just sautee onions and garlic. Then add zuchinni rounds (unpeeled), eggplant cubes (optional), and mushroom slices (optional). Warm on fire for a few minutes. Add tomato sauce and spices- you can add diced tomatoes too if you want. Cook covered over low flame till everything is soft.

When I have less time or patience, I just throw all the ingredients in a pan, cover it, and stick it on the oven on 350 until soft.

I also like to cut the zuchinni into chunks (unpeeled) and stir fry with some onions and garlic. I add this to cooked brown rice, and sprinkle in some soy sauce. Delicious side dish!

larig
07-11-2010, 03:48 PM
Ina Garten's tian--(I originally found it in Barefoot in Paris)--the gruyere makes it extra delicious.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/vegetable-tian-recipe/index.html

it looks a lot like Ratatouille from the movie Ratatouille.

trentsmom
07-11-2010, 06:05 PM
I've made zucchini "crab" cakes before. They were pretty good! Lots of recipes on the 'net. Here's one: http://allrecipes.com//Recipe/connies-zucchini-crab-cakes/Detail.aspx

eta: I was looking for a link to a chocolate zucchini cake that I've made, and on the same page were lots of zuke ideas. HTH. http://voices.washingtonpost.com/mighty-appetite/2007/07/never_enough_zucchini_recipes.html

AbbysMom
07-11-2010, 06:26 PM
I cut up 2 zucchini (in half and then in chunks) and saute in oil with a pint of grape tomatoes and 2 yellows peppers with a little garlic, salt and pepper. Yummy and the kids love it.

happymom
07-11-2010, 09:53 PM
I cut up 2 zucchini (in half and then in chunks) and saute in oil with a pint of grape tomatoes and 2 yellows peppers with a little garlic, salt and pepper. Yummy and the kids love it.

Ooh that sounds yummy.

Just thought of another one- stuffed zuchinni. I have made it two ways-don't have exact recipes with me (can get them if you want) but basically

1) Steam whole zuchinnis till slightly soft. Cut in half the long way. Scoop out the inside, leaving enough left by the peel so it holds shape. Mix the scooped out zuchinn with sauteed veggies-such as diced eggplant, mushrooms, etc. Maybe add some egg and breadcrumbs. Put back into zuchinni carefully and bake. Pretty and yummy.

2) Similar to above, except make a filling with ground beef.

DrSally
07-11-2010, 10:05 PM
Mmmm, all these sound so yummy. My neighbor has promised me her next zucchini out of her garden (they're huge).

cono0507
07-11-2010, 10:42 PM
My MIL introduced me to chocolate zucchini cake. Very yummy and we used many of our garden zucchini for this in the past:
http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Chocolate-Zucchini-Cake-907

alien_host
07-12-2010, 06:26 PM
Thanks so much! I'm actually on vacation right now and expect some serious baseball bats when we get home!

I love it, a good mix of cakes, breads and well healthier options ;)

fivi2
07-12-2010, 08:27 PM
I used to saute some zucchini, garlic, mushrooms in some olive oil and serve over pasta with parm cheese and pepper. Dh claims to be allergic to squash and zucchini, so I haven't in a while, but I think that is what I did!

Oh yeah, I have also sauteed zucchini (or yellow squash), garlic and onions in oil and served with rice in tortillas like veggie fajitas - with cheese, sour cream, salsa, etc. Again, I haven't done it in years, but it was good! (you could add peppers, I just personally don't like them!)

hellokitty
07-12-2010, 11:00 PM
Lol, I am in the same situation! If you get really desperate, you can always grate it and freeze the zucchini, so when you make soups or bread, you can add a baggie of zucchini to it. That's my back up plan if I end up with zucchini coming out of my ears.

jent
07-12-2010, 11:10 PM
*Zucchini pancakes
*With pasta- slice, sautee with olive oil & garlic, toss with pasta, basil, freshly squeezed lemon juice, & grated pecorino
*baked frittata- I have to dig out my stepmom's recipe-- IIRC it has sliced zucchini, eggs, bisquick, and maybe feta

Nyfeara
07-13-2010, 09:56 AM
DS won't eat zucchini sauteed, but if I cut it up into sticks & bread it, then bake or fry it - we're good to go. He will eat a ton of it that way with a little ranch dressing to dip in.

We're getting lots of zucchini from our garden too, so I think I'm going to try & bread some up & freeze it. See if that works so that we can have it available longer without the hassle of cutting it, breading it, etc. on those nights that we want it.

craftysierra
07-14-2010, 03:17 PM
Last year my Mom grated some and froze it worked great for breads & cakes later especially good use for the BIG ones!

Sierra

zoestargrove
07-15-2010, 08:17 AM
Last year my Mom grated some and froze it worked great for breads & cakes later especially good use for the BIG ones!

Sierra

when I get overwhelmed with the quantity of zukes I also chop some up and freeze. They can be roasted later with red onions, red peppers, eggplant, garlic, some herbs and olive oil. or just thrown into a soup or chili.

This recipe is simple and looks yummy. http://smittenkitchen.com/2007/08/my-favorite-side-dish/

edited to add the original recipe because the first link omitted the romano cheese - http://www.saveur.com/article/Recipes/Sauteed-Zucchini-with-Toasted-Almonds-and-Pecorino

alien_host
07-17-2010, 12:44 PM
Thank you for the idea to freeze uncooked zucchini....I have 5-6 HUGE ones...I'm afraid that they will taste terrible though. One of the downsides of going on vacation in the summer I guess. Hopefully they will be good for zucchini bread at least...although I'm not thrilled about turning on the oven in 90 degree heat. ;)

zoestargrove
07-19-2010, 02:12 PM
Alien host - You could grate and freeze your super large zucchinis and then they can later be used in breads, cakes, or zucchini patties when the kitchen is cooler.

Twoboos
07-19-2010, 02:41 PM
These are baking right now, so I can't say how they are, but they smell good!!

My adjustments are in brackets, notes from the original cook are in parentheses.

Chocolate Chip Zucchini Muffins
Adapted from Martha Stewart's Cupcakes via Big City Cooking
Makes 24 muffins

3 cups all-purpose flour [I did 1 1/2 each white/whole wheat]
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg [I omitted]
1/4 tsp ground cloves [I omitted]
1 cup vegetable oil [I did 1/2c oil and 1/2c apple sauce]
2 large eggs, at room temperature
1 tbsp vanilla extract
3/4 tsp grated lemon zest
2 cups sugar (original recipe had packed brown sugar) [I used 1 1/2c Packed Brown sugar]
3 cups packed grated zucchini
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips (optional) [I used about 3/4c]

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and line muffin tins with paper liners.

Whisk together flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves. In another bowl, whisk together oil, eggs, vanilla and lemon zest until well blended. Whisk in brown sugar until smooth. Stir in zucchini and then add flour mixture and stir until just combined. Stir in chocolate chips.

Divide the batter evenly into muffin tins. Bake for 20 minutes or until inserted toothpick comes out clean. Transfer muffins on a wire rack to cool.

alien_host
07-19-2010, 03:58 PM
These are baking right now, so I can't say how they are, but they smell good!!

My adjustments are in brackets, notes from the original cook are in parentheses.

Chocolate Chip Zucchini Muffins
Adapted from Martha Stewart's Cupcakes via Big City Cooking
Makes 24 muffins

3 cups all-purpose flour [I did 1 1/2 each white/whole wheat]
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg [I omitted]
1/4 tsp ground cloves [I omitted]
1 cup vegetable oil [I did 1/2c oil and 1/2c apple sauce]
2 large eggs, at room temperature
1 tbsp vanilla extract
3/4 tsp grated lemon zest
2 cups sugar (original recipe had packed brown sugar) [I used 1 1/2c Packed Brown sugar]
3 cups packed grated zucchini
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips (optional) [I used about 3/4c]

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and line muffin tins with paper liners.

Whisk together flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves. In another bowl, whisk together oil, eggs, vanilla and lemon zest until well blended. Whisk in brown sugar until smooth. Stir in zucchini and then add flour mixture and stir until just combined. Stir in chocolate chips.

Divide the batter evenly into muffin tins. Bake for 20 minutes or until inserted toothpick comes out clean. Transfer muffins on a wire rack to cool.

Ooooh, please report back on how these taste! Although I don't want to put my oven on today...maybe it will cool down later in the week.

Twoboos
07-19-2010, 04:08 PM
Ooooh, please report back on how these taste! Although I don't want to put my oven on today...maybe it will cool down later in the week.

I had to cook them today - once I started looking at recipes, it had to be done! :p

They came out pretty good, if I do say so! DD2 deemed them her new #1 favorite muffin. This is saying something, the girl is a muffin aficionado. Even DD1 ate them, and she is a bit wary of muffins in general but coming around.

I think you could even cut the choc chips to 1/2 cup if you use the mini choc chops - they spread around a little more and give the impression there is more choc in there than there really is. I didn't have enough mini's so I chopped up some regular sized ones.

I'm also going to be trying some other ideas posted here, YUMMY!!

DrSally
07-19-2010, 04:18 PM
My mom just gave me 2 huge zucchini's. I diced them chunkily and sauteed them in EVOO, s & p and a little garlic. It was a really yummy side dish to the Costco pulled pork (thank you to the person who posted on that!)

zoestargrove
08-12-2010, 02:40 PM
My friend made this for me the other night and it was delicous! I'm going to give it a try this weekend.

Raw Zucchini Hummus (yields over 3 cups)
2 zucchini, chopped
½ cup lemon or lime juice
1 tsp salt
1 ½ tsp cumin (she didn't have, so threw in a handful of fresh cilantro)
1 cup raw tahini (the Artisana brand is nice; substitute regular tahini if you need to)
4 tbsp olive oil
½ cup raw sesame seeds (she didn't add this)

My friend improvised and added a handful of baby spinach and a dash of hot sauce

Vitamix instructions:
Put all ingredients in your Vitamix and blend till smooth!
Food processor instructions:
Same as above. You may have a hard time blending the sesame seeds, so I recommend soaking them for a few hours first, halving the recipe, and stopping frequently to scrape the bowl. You can also omit the seeds entirely, but in that case I also recommend omitting the olive oil to keep a thick consistency.

babyready
08-12-2010, 02:55 PM
This blog has great zucchini recipes: http://saltandchocolate.blogspot.com/

I've done her zucchini soup and it was quite good. Am going to try some fried zucchini tonight!

alien_host
08-12-2010, 04:11 PM
The chocolate zucchini cake was great! Thanks to the PP who posted it!

I also got this receipe from friend...very tasty! I baked them in the toaster oven. They were pretty and very yummy!

Cheesy Zucchini Bites appetizer:

Ingredients
5 medium zucchini (about 6 inches long)
4 ounces blue cheese, crumbled
3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
1 teaspoon dried basil
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1 pint cherry tomatoes, thinly sliced

Directions
1. Cut zucchini into 3/4-inch slices. Using a melon baller or small spoon, scoop out the insides and discard, leaving the bottom intact. Place zucchini on an ungreased baking sheet; spoon 1/2teaspoon crumbled blue cheese into each.

2. Combine the Parmesan cheese, basil, and pepper; sprinkle half over blue cheese. Top each with a tomato slice; sprinkle with the remaining Parmesan mixture. Bake at 400°F until cheese is melted, 5-7 minutes. Serve warm.

SoloMelody
09-14-2010, 06:33 PM
dressing
3 tblps olive oil
3 tblsps vinegar/apple cider vinger
1 tblsp dijon mustard
1/2 tsp red chilli powder
3-4 cloves of garlic grated/minced
2 tblsps of grated/minced red onion
salt & pepper

whisk all the above together, adjust seasoning as desired. The longer it sits the better it tastes. If using raisins add now. They will rehydrate and taste yummy!

2-3 zucchinis halved lengthwise and then sliced
1/4-1/2 cup of black/red grapes halved or raisins

Add zucchini and grapes(if using them) and serve immediately.

Twoboos
09-14-2010, 06:35 PM
Ok, the Choc Chip Zucchini muffins are a new favorite here. DD2 requests these and they are now officially her favorite. not sure what's going to happen once zucchini season is over!! :)

I made these for a get together, they were yummy!

Baked Zucchini Squares

Ingredients
1 cup biscuit/baking mix
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
1-1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
1-1/2 teaspoons dried basil
1/2 teaspoon salt
4 eggs
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 small onion, chopped
3 medium zucchini, thinly sliced

Directions
In a bowl, combine the biscuit mix, Parmesan cheese, parsley, oregano, basil and salt. Combine eggs, oil and onion; stir into dry ingredients just until combined. Stir in zucchini. Transfer to a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown and set. Cut into squares.*Yield:*16-20 servings.