PDA

View Full Version : stupid dog owners

kerridean
07-11-2010, 06:40 PM
Someone please explain to me WHY people get dogs just to throw them in the backyard for 24 hours a day???? The jerk behind me has a dog. He leaves it out all day and all night with no available shade or shelter. I am not sure if he has water available. I cannot tell. They never walk it or play with it...ever. They never even go into the backyard. The grass is 3 feet high and the yard is neglected. Did I mention we live in SOUTH TEXAS????

Should I call? There is a bit of a barking problem as well. It is not as bad as it could be, but still annoying. Who can blame the poor dog for barking?

swrc00
07-11-2010, 06:48 PM
I would totally call, especially if you think the dog has no shelter or water. Poor dog!

infomama
07-11-2010, 06:49 PM
More like criminal dog owners. Call for sure...that poor dog.

Ceepa
07-11-2010, 07:25 PM
Yes. I'd call. Poor doggie.

R2sweetboys
07-11-2010, 07:35 PM
Yes, please do call. This poor dog has no way to help himself so he needs an advocate. You can be that for him! I really hope he is re-homed or that his situation changes drastically. I have no tolerance for animal neglect/abuse.

MamaMolly
07-11-2010, 11:29 PM
Please call. In my secret heart of hearts, I'd never admit this to anyone IRL, but in my secret heart of hearts I wish someone would narc out my sister and her DH about their dogs. And I dearly love my sister, she is a good person. But her dogs would be better off in a different home. They are toeing the line of neglect. Not there, but sooo close. The dogs get food, water and shelter, and that is about it.

Sigh.

ha98ed14
07-12-2010, 12:35 PM
Call the local animal authority (county?) and SPCA, if they work in your area. It is considered cruelty to animals to leave them outside with out adequate shelter. No water is criminal. As in against the law. I wish it was as criminal as child abuse.

yournamehere
07-12-2010, 12:39 PM
Yes call. no water or shelter is criminal

jal
07-12-2010, 12:42 PM
Based on the limited information you've provided, I think you are going to need more to be able to report them. I guess the main reason I say this is because you don't report anything about the physical condition (emaciated, wounds, etc) of the dog. So assuming he's in ok physical condition, he's obviously alive and therefore getting food, water, some sort of shelter that's keeping him from heat exhaustion.

Now I'll admit, from what you've decribed... they might as well bough a gold fish, or installed a koi pond... but I don't think it's illegal to buy a dog of ignore it so long as you provided for it's physical needs.

So while I agree, that ain't no life for a dog... unless there is something physically wrong beyond what you've describe, I think you're going to just be wasting everyone's time to report.

On the flip side, I you can determine the dog has wounds or open sores, look emaciated, or shows any other symptoms of abuse, absolutely report the dog. But if you just don't like the way the dog is being treated, so long as the owners are doing their legal duty, there's not much point.

swissair81
07-12-2010, 02:33 PM
There was a dog on my parents block that would go around chasing and biting people. After he bit my brother, my mother called the animal services to come get him. It turned out that it belonged to a little boy who lived with his grandparents. The dog was kept in the garage until the little boy came home from school & then he let it outside. I couldn't really blame the dog for being crazy after being cooped up all day, but I was sure glad that they didn't allow the family to keep him.

Talking about animal neglect, some guy was keeping about 100 cats in his house in a city near me. I heard about it on the news. Luckily, one of the neighbors ratted on him & they took all the poor kitties away. They had to tear the house down. The inside was no longer habitable for humans. Not sure how that guy & his cats were living there.