PDA

View Full Version : Nap/Sleep Help ? for 13 month DS

KenReeves
07-12-2010, 10:18 AM
Hi

Our DS is 13 months old now and used to be a great napper and sleeper. He used to sleep in the AM for about an hour, the PM for an hour+ and go to sleep from 8:30pm-7am.

Over the last few weeks, our routine has been anything but. We have always "rocked him" to sleep and now for most sleep sessions, that doesn't work. We have had several occasions where the PM nap do not happen and it takes over an hour to put him down later in the night. We know we need to wean him off the "parental rocking" but don't know how to do this. We tried the Ferber "cry it out" a few months back with disastrous results for both DS and parents. Having read Dr. Sears book, he clearly agrees that this is not a good method either.

So, a couple questions:
1.) When do babies wean from 2 naps to 1 nap -- any tips on how to do this?

2.) If we don't want to "rock" anymore, how do we transition away from that (vs. going cold turkey)

3.) Is it common for babies to undo previously good sleep habits. We wonder sometimes if it has to do with a "poor" eating day --- as he is not the best solid food eater.

Thanks very much for your comments!

jdruffel
07-12-2010, 12:37 PM
Our daughter transitioned from 2 to 1 nap at 12 months because of daycare. I thought she would be way overtired but she did just fine. Her 1 nap was at 11:30. She napped for 1 1/2 hours. Then went to bed at 7pm and once she was only on one nap she went to bed way easier. We did the Ferber method at 7 months for her and it worked well but I understand that it is not for every baby. Our friends who rocked their child to sleep laid on the floor in the room with their child until she fell alseep. Hope this helps.:)

Uno-Mom
07-18-2010, 01:26 AM
KenR - just drifted past your post and noticed you didn't get many responses. If you need more suggestions, you might post in one of the other forums that get more traffic. People don't seem to get down to this one much.

I can't really advise because my daughter is only 8 mos. But like the last poster said, the Ferber plan really works for many families. But not everyone. And you really have to stick to it. I hope, hope, hope we never need it but that's what we will do if our baby's habits go downhill. I got very serious about researching baby sleep habits because I've had a sleep disorder for many years - SO don't want my kid(s) to suffer that same path!

Just like there are a lot of peopel who dislike Ferber, there are a lot of people who disagree with Sears (I'm not a huge fan, though I do like some of the things he says) - everybody has an opinion, that's for sure!

The Baby 411 book has a good run down of the different sleep theorists, if you haven't already looked there.

Good luck!

KrisM
07-18-2010, 01:44 AM
Hi

So, a couple questions:
1.) When do babies wean from 2 naps to 1 nap -- any tips on how to do this?

2.) If we don't want to "rock" anymore, how do we transition away from that (vs. going cold turkey)

3.) Is it common for babies to undo previously good sleep habits. We wonder sometimes if it has to do with a "poor" eating day --- as he is not the best solid food eater.

Thanks very much for your comments!

1. Mine did around 13 months. I would just keep them busy in the morning and move the afternoon nap up earlier in the day. So, if naps were 9:30-10:30 and 1-3, I'd move the PM nap to 11:30-2 or so.

2. I never did that, but I'd try rocking until drowsy, but not asleep for a few days. Then, just hold until drowsy with no rocking for another few days. Then, hold and cuddle for a bit, but not until he's drowsy.

3. Babies go through a lot of milestones and sleep can change with any of them. Is he learning to walk? Getting a molar? Does he not like some of the food and has an upset tummy? Lots of things can make a baby/toddler change sleep habits.

Good luck!