PDA

View Full Version : Braxton-Hicks fan club

swissair81
07-12-2010, 11:31 AM
Anyone want to join? I know I'm going to spend the next 8 weeks or so contracting or cramping. I already have been for the past couple days. At least my actual labors are short. Does anyone else hate the term 'false' labor? Say 'aye'.

Roni
07-12-2010, 12:13 PM
Aye. I'm right with you. I'll be @32 weeks tomorrow. My first two were late, but I had lots of false alarms.

swissair81
07-12-2010, 12:28 PM
So we're due 3 days apart. I was 32 weeks on Saturday. We can commiserate together.
I have lots of false alarms, but my last 2 were early. DD2 was 3+ weeks early & DS was 8 days early.

LadyPeter
07-12-2010, 12:33 PM
Forgive my newbie-ness, but when do these usually start? What do they feel like? Wikipedia and all my pregnancy books are wildly inconsistent.

swissair81
07-12-2010, 12:45 PM
Hey we were all newbies once. Supposedly they are painless tightenings of your abdomen. In reality though, BH contractions are contractions that hurt but don't dilate your cervix. They start about the end of your 2nd, beginning of your 3rd trimester & are annoying because sometimes it's hard to tell if they are real. Usually they tell you to walk around, eat, drink, shower or take a nap, as contractions that are 'false' often stop when you do one of those activities. In reality though, what happens is that you call your Dr and they tell you to go in just to be 'safe' & then you just feel stupid when they send you home. Not always though- I had 3 false alarms for DS- Time #1- I was dilating & they kept me for 2 hours to walk to see if they would admit me. I was there all night. Time #2- they kept me all night because baby had a heart decel & they were deciding whether to induce me (at 37 weeks). Time #3- They were also evaluating me for induction because my fluid was markedly decreased. So if it's painful enough to bother you, it isn't really something you should ignore.

I don't know about anyone else though, but I had absolutely 0 BH contractions with #1. With #2 & 3, I had multiple false alarms.

ewpmsw
07-12-2010, 01:40 PM
Aye-yi-yi. I'm 35 weeks and so sick of BH. Add bloated, gassy tummy and a super busy baby to the mix - I'm going to say they can be a little bit painful from time to time. Not unbearably so. Mostly uncomfortable and annoying. I've had them both times and had a really long labor with DD #1 - If BH are going to help my body get ready (and hopefully that means a shorter labor this time), I'll join the fan club.

swissair81
07-12-2010, 01:46 PM
Lucky you. Mine are painful at times, and I don't usually dilate until I go into labor. My labors are quick though. My labor with DD2- was violently quick. They called it precipitous. I prefer longer and calmer. Which is what I had with DS (and I was lucky I had a natural labor with him, because at least one Dr wanted to induce me so I wouldn't be unpredictable.)

jerigirl
07-12-2010, 01:50 PM
Me!!! :wavey: I had them (not knowing what they were then) starting at about 28 weeks with DS1 and ended up delivering at 34 wks. This pg I started them much earlier but my doc isn't as concerned. He says they are pretty common with subsequent pregnancies. As long as they aren't regular and I am not having any spotting/bleeding, leaking etc. he is OK with that. We are doing progesterone therapy to hopefully prevent another 34 week delivery this time.

elizabethkott
07-12-2010, 01:56 PM
Me! Me!
We actually spent the wee hours of the morning at L&D! I was having very regular contractions, but no cervical dialation, so they gave me the choice to either continue managing at the hosipital or manage at home. You know - home - that magical place where you can eat and drink? So now I'm home, still contracting, but on the couch.
I'm 35 weeks tomorrow, so hopefully I'll go a bit longer. My OB did say that because of the GD, they would likely induce in either week 37 or 38 anyway, so...
I just don't want this little guy out any second sooner than he has to be, kwim?

swissair81
07-12-2010, 01:56 PM
Me!!! :wavey: I had them (not knowing what they were then) starting at about 28 weeks with DS1 and ended up delivering at 34 wks. This pg I started them much earlier but my doc isn't as concerned. He says they are pretty common with subsequent pregnancies. As long as they aren't regular and I am not having any spotting/bleeding, leaking etc. he is OK with that. We are doing progesterone therapy to hopefully prevent another 34 week delivery this time.

Did your baby spend time in the NICU?
Right now I'm doing fine, but I had complications that affected my placenta earlier in pregnancy. So there is a risk of me delivering earlier. Once I'm past 34 weeks I will breathe MUCH easier.

swissair81
07-12-2010, 01:58 PM
Me! Me!
We actually spent the wee hours of the morning at L&D! I was having very regular contractions, but no cervical dialation, so they gave me the choice to either continue managing at the hosipital or manage at home. You know - home - that magical place where you can eat and drink? So now I'm home, still contracting, but on the couch.
I'm 35 weeks tomorrow, so hopefully I'll go a bit longer. My OB did say that because of the GD, they would likely induce in either week 37 or 38 anyway, so...
I just don't want this little guy out any second sooner than he has to be, kwim?

Did they give you meds to take at home? Or are you just supposed to take it easy? (You know you are probably contracting from all that birthday party excitement, right?)
37 weeks is awful early to induce. Can they wait until 38?

jerigirl
07-12-2010, 02:14 PM
Did your baby spend time in the NICU?
Right now I'm doing fine, but I had complications that affected my placenta earlier in pregnancy. So there is a risk of me delivering earlier. Once I'm past 34 weeks I will breathe MUCH easier.

Suprisingly NO he didn't need the NICU. His lungs were fine and he weighed 6 lbs at birth! I got the steriod shot about 33 weeks + (when I lost my plug and started more regular cx's) just to be sure DS's lungs were developing. They were able to hold off labor/delivery for a few days with medication, until my water broke naturally at 34 weeks. DS did stay in the regular nursery for about 10 days due to feeding issues. He didn't have his suck/swallow reflex coordinated so feeding was difficult. They put a nasogastric tube thru his nose to his stomach for about 4-5 days to feed him. Overall our experience was pretty positive compared to how it could have been, but as a FTM it was very overwhelming.

swissair81
07-12-2010, 02:19 PM
Suprisingly NO he didn't need the NICU. His lungs were fine and he weighed 6 lbs at birth! I got the steriod shot about 33 weeks + (when I lost my plug and started more regular cx's) just to be sure DS's lungs were developing. They were able to hold off labor/delivery for a few days with medication, until my water broke naturally at 34 weeks. DS did stay in the regular nursery for about 10 days due to feeding issues. He didn't have his suck/swallow reflex coordinated so feeding was difficult. They put a nasogastric tube thru his nose to his stomach for about 4-5 days to feed him. Overall our experience was pretty positive compared to how it could have been, but as a FTM it was very overwhelming.

Wow. That does sound overwhelming. 6 lbs is a nice weight (My 36 5/7 weeks baby was 5 lbs 11 oz) for a 34 weeker. I hope things are easier for you this time.

elizabethkott
07-12-2010, 02:43 PM
Did they give you meds to take at home? Or are you just supposed to take it easy? (You know you are probably contracting from all that birthday party excitement, right?)
37 weeks is awful early to induce. Can they wait until 38?

Nope, no meds for home. Just rest, hydrate, blah blah blah. I've actually got a call in to my OB b/c they had let up for a bit and now they're baaaaaaaaaack.
If they induce when I'm 37 weeks, it will be on like the 5th or 6th day of the 37th week, so a *bit* better... Hoo boy, does this suck!!!

jerigirl
07-12-2010, 02:47 PM
Wow. That does sound overwhelming. 6 lbs is a nice weight (My 36 5/7 weeks baby was 5 lbs 11 oz) for a 34 weeker. I hope things are easier for you this time.

Thank you! I have come across other 34 weekers that did pretty good at birth as well. A common problem is feeding issues b/c 34 weeks is right around the time the suck/swallow reflex is developed.

Hopefully you can hang on for a few more weeks and not have to worry about it! Stay put little baby!!

swissair81
07-12-2010, 02:48 PM
I only mentioned that because one of mine was born at not quite 37 weeks. I know they aren't considered preemie at that GA, but she was. It was really challenging. I was lucky that she was fine & didn't need a special nursery or anything. My youngest brother was also born at 37 weeks & he spent a week in the special care nursery because his lungs weren't so developed.

The rest hydrate thing is no fun. I was on bedrest with 2 pregnancies. The abovementioned one from 31-36 weeks & my current pregnancy- from 10-24 weeks. It's definitely not so much fun.

swissair81
07-12-2010, 02:51 PM
Thank you! I have come across other 34 weekers that did pretty good at birth as well. A common problem is feeding issues b/c 34 weeks is right around the time the suck/swallow reflex is developed.

Hopefully you can hang on for a few more weeks and not have to worry about it! Stay put little baby!!

34 weeks begins that blessed period of time known as 'late preterm'. Nearly all babies who are born after 34 weeks are okay. Were you able to BF your baby?

I am really hoping to go until 38 weeks. My Dr's wife is having a baby & he's taking off until 8/24. That will be 38 3/7 weeks for me. I have decided it's perfect. Isn't that nice of me?

jerigirl
07-12-2010, 03:21 PM
34 weeks begins that blessed period of time known as 'late preterm'. Nearly all babies who are born after 34 weeks are okay. Were you able to BF your baby?

I am really hoping to go until 38 weeks. My Dr's wife is having a baby & he's taking off until 8/24. That will be 38 3/7 weeks for me. I have decided it's perfect. Isn't that nice of me?

No we didn't ever breastfeed. We just couldn't get it coordinated. I exclusively pumped for a few months and then started supplementing with formula. The hospital I delivered at was weak with the breastfeeding support and I was really in denial as to how difficult it might be (especially with a 34 weeker). I had some vision of them pulling him out and putting him to my breast and he immediately nurses, easy peasy! Totally NOT what happened! Looking back, now with more knowledge, I should have sought out my own lactaction consultant for help. Oh well, you can only make decisions based on the knowledge you have at the time.

Sounds like you have your plan worked out perfectly! :ROTFLMAO: Now hopefully baby cooperates!

swissair81
07-12-2010, 03:25 PM
Sounds like you have your plan worked out perfectly! :ROTFLMAO: Now hopefully baby cooperates!

I have a good track record:

DD1 was born the day after my nursing final (that I begged my instructor to allow me to take 2 days early) ,2 days after clinicals were over for the semester & the day before my Dr went out of town for an undetermined amount of time.

DD2 was born when I honestly couldn't stand the preterm labor anymore & was thinking of jumping out a window.

DS was born almost exactly 24 hours before a scheduled induction.

How's that for timing?

newg
07-12-2010, 07:06 PM
My DD was born at week 34 when my water broke......no steroids or anything, and she came out just fine, went in my room with me too. Had some issues with BF, but we made it 13 months with BF!

My Braxton Hicks started about a week or two ago and just last thursday I was dialated so I went to the hospital for steroids, magnesium and some other stuff. I'm home now on complete bedrest, taking procardia (sp?), and they're hoping I will make it at least three more weeks (I'm 33 right now).
So as long as my contractions aren't regular, stay less than 6 an hour and nothing else happens...I should go to at least week 36!

swissair81
07-12-2010, 07:28 PM
We're rooting for baby (and mine) to stay comfy for another 3. (Actually I would need 3.5 weeks, but who's counting?)

BTW, you spelled procardia correctly.

elizabethkott
07-12-2010, 08:01 PM
Totally OT, but I was talking with a friend over the weekend about the liklihood of being induced and she said it wold be awesome if I could induce on August 9th, because then the birthdate would be 8/9/10! Hadn't even occured to me!
The OB got back to me and said not to bother going back in unless the contractions got stronger - she was less concerned about the rate of time between them (at one point I was at like 3 minutes, but they were mild contractions). I was able to take a nap, and I've been pretty good (knock on wood!) so far since then - they're now infrequent and not that strong at all. Just drinking lots of fluid and staying on the couch.
I'm a bit concerned that I wasn't given an amount of time to "take it easy" for. Not like I'm about to go out and run a marathon or anything, but any advice? Another day or so? A week?

swissair81
07-12-2010, 08:10 PM
Totally OT, but I was talking with a friend over the weekend about the liklihood of being induced and she said it wold be awesome if I could induce on August 9th, because then the birthdate would be 8/9/10! Hadn't even occured to me!
The OB got back to me and said not to bother going back in unless the contractions got stronger - she was less concerned about the rate of time between them (at one point I was at like 3 minutes, but they were mild contractions). I was able to take a nap, and I've been pretty good (knock on wood!) so far since then - they're now infrequent and not that strong at all. Just drinking lots of fluid and staying on the couch.
I'm a bit concerned that I wasn't given an amount of time to "take it easy" for. Not like I'm about to go out and run a marathon or anything, but any advice? Another day or so? A week?

How far along are you? I would for sure be careful until 36 weeks.

As for cool induction dates, just be aware that inductions can take up to 3 days. (Although 8/9/10 is pretty cool). I know someone due in October who is hoping for a 10/10/10 birthdate.

elizabethkott
07-12-2010, 08:20 PM
How far along are you? I would for sure be careful until 36 weeks.

As for cool induction dates, just be aware that inductions can take up to 3 days. (Although 8/9/10 is pretty cool). I know someone due in October who is hoping for a 10/10/10 birthdate.

I'm 35 weeks tomorrow. :)
I had to be induced with my first - he was 3 days overdue and my fluid levels were way low. I was admitted at about 2:30 in the afternoon and he was born at 3:30am... so I guess I've just been assuming that all inductions are that quick!

swissair81
07-12-2010, 08:23 PM
I'm 35 weeks tomorrow. :)
I had to be induced with my first - he was 3 days overdue and my fluid levels were way low. I was admitted at about 2:30 in the afternoon and he was born at 3:30am... so I guess I've just been assuming that all inductions are that quick!

That's real nice. Usually they do something called a Bishop's score, to assess the likelihood of a successful induction. The higher your score is, the more likely it is. But yeah, I've had ladies come in for an induction the night before. They induce at 6 am on day 1. They keep the pump going all day & turn it off at about 6 (for supper), unless something is actually going on. Then they start again at 6. Usually those are the ladies who have a completely closed cervix & they aren't ready to have a baby.

As for low fluid inductions, I had one scheduled for 10/23 at 6 am. Sonny boy heard my plainitive cries & I went into labor at about 2 am on 10/22. Little boy made his appearance at about 5:30.

Roni
07-12-2010, 08:43 PM
Dd#2 was induced 13 days after my due date. It took about 12 hours before she was born. They didn't start the pitocin right away, though, because I was having contractions already, and I was GBS positive. I was expecting a much quicker delivery, and it was my birthday, so I was so not happy spending the day in labor. But, once she decided to come, it was really fast. I was about to get an epidural, and I realized it was time to push. I was so happy to not have the epidural.

I have had BH with all of my pregnancies. I think they started earlier this time. I also had false labor with both girls. I don't know if I would completely call it false labor because I was actually dilated for a long time before I went into labor/ got induced.

newg
07-12-2010, 09:27 PM
I'm having a c-section, regardless of if I go into labor on my own or not........DH has already mentioned a few times how cool it would be if DD's birthday was 8/9/10......but I don't know if I'll go that long now.

I had always thought 8/19/10 would be neat, 'cause DD's birthday is 2/19/08 and then they'd be exactly 2.5 yrs. apart.......................but at this point I'm going to be happy with any birthday!!!

jerigirl
07-12-2010, 09:35 PM
I almost had DS1 on 6/6/06 :icon_twisted: but were able to hold off until 6/10/06.

newg
07-12-2010, 09:43 PM
I almost had DS1 on 6/6/06 :icon_twisted: but were able to hold off until 6/10/06.

lol............on one of my OB visits I stepped on the scale and weighed 166.6lbs and the nurse wouldn't write it down! She said I could pick: 165 or 167lbs, but she couldn't put down the real thing!
It honestly didn't even occur to me about the numbers!

swissair81
07-12-2010, 09:44 PM
So what did you pick?

newg
07-12-2010, 09:51 PM
So what did you pick?

167.......I figured that way my next weigh in wouldn't be as high ;)

momtoonegirl
07-12-2010, 09:54 PM
I am 38 weeks and the BH have been kicking in a lot in the last couple days. Because of AMA, I have non stress tests and fluid levels twice weekly, and today the NST showed some contractions, but they were irregular. Fluid was a little low, so I am also on the rest and hydrate protocol until I am rechecked in a couple of days. I have been trying to push the fluids and it does seem as if the contractions have eased a bit. I know they will not stop my labor at this point, but there were some more things that I wanted to do before the baby's arrival, so we'll see.

swissair81
07-12-2010, 10:11 PM
167.......I figured that way my next weigh in wouldn't be as high ;)

I hate weigh ins. I have one tomorrow, so of course I'm eating pringles now (after being good for 2 weeks). I always cave right before the weigh in.

MrsZaz
07-12-2010, 10:15 PM
Just to chime in....I have a 34 weeker (5 lbs), he only needed to stay in the NICU for 10 days. My 32 weeker stayed a month. Both are doing amazing. You would never know they were preemies.

Good luck

Colleen