PDA

View Full Version : Lego Woes

Raidra
07-12-2010, 03:28 PM
Colwyn and Lachlann love Legos. They have lots of loose Legos to build with, but they also love getting new sets. I used to put them together for them, but now Colwyn is getting really good at it.. he did the Star Wars X-Wing yesterday which is 8-12.

However.. they also want to play with the sets like they would regular toys, but they break. And they always break in ways that are hard to figure out how to put it back together.

Does anyone else have this problem? How do you deal with it? They're always upset when the things break.. I put the X-Wing back together twice already. Has anyone used glue for the non-moving parts?

khm
07-12-2010, 03:32 PM
I think gluing them would be a nightmare.... and they'd still break. ;)

My son just figured out that if he wants to fly things around, he's got other space ships to do that with. Enormous lego sets are to be built and admired, broken down and rebuilt, but not "played with".

The 2cents of another lego mom.

Tondi G
07-12-2010, 03:35 PM
I feel your pain! I have 2 boys who love Lego's too.... my DS1 especially. I have tried to put so many sets back together... sometimes it's easy and other times I give up!

My DS1 actually was in love with the Halo themed Megabloks and got a few sets for Christmas. Mega Bloks are NOTHING like lego. pieces were warped and a lot of bricks didn't go together well, it was incredibly frustrating for my DS and my DH. My DH ended up buying the Superglue and gluing each brick as it went together. It has held strong and my boys are able to play with them without having them crumble in their hands!

If you want to glue lego sets, I highly recommend getting super glue with the brush. Tried with the gel and it was messy... brush worked beautifully!

daisymommy
07-12-2010, 03:40 PM
My son just figured out that if he wants to fly things around, he's got other space ships to do that with. Enormous lego sets are to be built and admired, broken down and rebuilt, but not "played with".

:yeahthat: It's like building a model--not a toy to play with. I would gently try to explain this to them. Josh leaves his creations on display on bookshelves for a few days for us all to admire, and then takes them apart. But he tells everyone "don't touch them or play with them or they'll break!"

elephantmeg
07-12-2010, 03:58 PM
we have the same problem here. It is driving DH NUTS!

gatorsmom
07-12-2010, 04:06 PM
Same problem here. I've told the boys that if they don't want their newly built spaceships to get broken or dropped ( or grabbed by the twins) then they need to put them up high and out of reach or back in the box.

We have more if a provlem here with keeping all the right pieces together so that when they want to build them again they can find the right pieces.

belovedgandp
07-12-2010, 04:14 PM
My policy is, if you break it you fix it. Now the 3YO tries to "play" with the 6YO's creations. He's usually good, but will break them occasionally. 6YO is very patient to put them back together for him, but we've limited younger brother to small cars and trucks so far. I have put together a couple more complicated ones that the 3YO got to on accident.

Raidra
07-12-2010, 04:27 PM
We have more if a provlem here with keeping all the right pieces together so that when they want to build them again they can find the right pieces.

That's a huge problem of ours, too. They don't keep the pieces separate, so it's pretty hopeless. That's why I hate buying Lego sets and wish they would ask for something else. We have plenty of loose Legos already.