PDA

View Full Version : Is this normal for a rashguard?

MontrealMum
07-12-2010, 04:26 PM
DS' rash guard is so incredibly tight that I'm afraid that I'm hurting him when I pull it on and off. It's much worse than yanking on a t-neck or similar. It's a LE size 3T though he usually takes a 2T in tops, he's mostly legs. Bought the larger size because they were out of the 2T in the color I wanted. It fits fine (little baggy) once it's on, but the neckhole is seriously small. Is this normal? He has a normal sized head, 50% for his age.

The last two years he was in a full suit that zipped in the front so this is my first experience with the shirts. The rash guard isn't too important for our pool use up here, but we have a beach vacation coming up and I NEED him to wear it. Help!

Should I try another brand even though they're mostly sold out now? Or are they supposed to be this tight? Or does anyone know of a brand with a partial zip at the neck? TIA :)

love_a_latte
07-12-2010, 04:54 PM
DS's LE rash guard was super tight at first, but loosened out after a few (5ish) wearings. It's not super loose now, but loose enough that I don't feel like I am going to pull his head off anymore.

HTH!

elektra
07-12-2010, 05:23 PM
That's how all of ours are. Both kids protest a bit as I'm putting it on or taking it off, but I personally like them a little tighter. I feel like their is less drag as less chance for sand to get all up in there. It covers their neck better too in terms of sun protection. Plus I just like the way it looks better. Less sloppy IMO.

arivecchi
07-12-2010, 05:28 PM
I'm the opposite. LOL. I don't like tight ones because it looks uncomfortable to me, so I always buy bigger sizes so they fit loosely.

Tondi G
07-12-2010, 05:44 PM
we always size up... neither of my boys like anything to be tight fitting.

sansdieu
07-12-2010, 05:49 PM
I always size up on the rashguards, too (and LE kids' swimwear in particular runs 1-2 sizes too small anyway). I don't want DD to be in something constricting when it's hot out, nor do I want to have struggle to pull something over her poor head.

DD is in 3T in most kids' lines, but in size 4-5 LE rashguards (either labeled as S or XS, I can't remember). Same for Speedo rashguards. Having said that, there are some rashguards that fit much better than others, that aren't meant to cut off circulation.

WatchingThemGrow
07-12-2010, 06:24 PM
What color is it? Wanna trade for a 4T? Is shipping to/from the states crazy? We have sizes 2T, 4T and 4. We wear them a little big, but not where the arms are too long. How are the arms on him once you get it on? We have a seaport Small (4) that's sort of extra/backup.

FYI - LE has a size 4 in navy l/s in stock right now http://www.landsend.com/pp/LongSleeveSolidRashGuard~205374_1189.html?bcc=y&action=order_more&sku_0=::PJL&CM_MERCH=IDX_00006_0000000152_0000000648&origin=index

KrisM
07-12-2010, 07:03 PM
We always buy a couple sizes big, too.

elektra
07-12-2010, 07:09 PM
I guess I'm the odd man out! Maybe I am just used to seeing surfers wear them tight or something? So maybe that's how I have been conditioned as far as how I think they are supposed to look.
I have a feeling when DS grows up, I might feel differently about the tight thing too. Might be a boy vs. girl thing.
But for now we are all about the form fitting rash guards. ;)

MontrealMum
07-12-2010, 07:26 PM
Thanks for all the help guys! I've never worn one of these myself but he's so uncomfortable so I worry about how tight it is going on.

WTG, I'd be up for a trade except I'm not sure it'd get here in time, though I guess I could have you send it to my mom's in MI. We have the orange short sleeve in 3T, so I'd be looking for that in a 4T which they're all out of online. We're going on a beach vacation in the US in Aug. so that's what the rash guard is mostly for. Our pool times are short, and mostly in the evening so it's not as big a deal for that.

I thought I'd check HA too. I think they have the 2.5/3 yr size still in some things. Does anyone know if the Hanna rashguards run larger than the LE ones? I guess I could do the navy LE in a pinch - do you think 4T is big enough to go if he's normally in a 2T top?

robinsmommy
07-13-2010, 12:47 PM
We also size up, and also look for ones with zippers to help with getting it over the head. A few years ago LE had ones that zipped, not sure if they do now.....

hobie
07-13-2010, 03:07 PM
Last year we were able to get Gap l/s rash guards, with a zipper opening for the neck...haven't seen them this year...

sansdieu
07-13-2010, 04:01 PM
Remember those rashguard suits from Protect-a-Bub that were $6 a couple of years ago? Those were made from a different kind of fabric. They didn't cut off circulation (in fact, DD can still wear her size 2 suit now, even though the sleeves are a bit too short) and are made of this cool fabric that blocks the sun, but doesn't trap the fine sand the same way as LE stuff does. I wonder if anybody sells any stuff from a similar fabric (it's the same, I think, that's used on their stroller shades).

MommyAllison
07-13-2010, 07:43 PM
I couldn't get DS' Speedo rashguard on over his head, though it was definitely his size with room to grow. The neck on it was super tight, and I could hear stitches starting to pop when I tried to pull it on. We haven't had trouble with any others though.

nrp
07-13-2010, 08:19 PM
I had the same experience with DD's LE rashguard. It was super tight to get over her head and I almost returned it but got lazy. After the first couple of wearings, it loosened up a bit.

MamaSnoo
07-13-2010, 10:28 PM
All but one of our has been tight at the neck, and cute trim, but not tight everywhere else. Some were so small in the neck (and I did not realize it until too late to return) that I had to cut a slit in the back of the cuff at the neckline. They still worked fine after that.