PDA

View Full Version : Pregnancy Test Result...

drcarpiodds
07-12-2010, 07:52 PM
when breastfeeding?

Never had experience with this type of thing...

Lately been having some weird symptoms that would normally point to pregnancy...

HOWEVER, I've been exclusively breastfeeding my 6 month old, so I haven't had a normal period...

We're open to having DC3, so we haven't been using protection...

I've taken a couple pregnancy tests - both negative, BUT I still have the sore breasts (not from breastfeeding), a little dip in milk supply, increased discharge down there (sorry if this is TMI), and I've been feeling really queasy and tired...

SOoOoo... Is it possible to have a false negative because I'm breastfeeding? Anyone have any experience with this...

THANKS in advance...

wellyes
07-12-2010, 08:25 PM
Maybe you are ovulating - that would explain the symptoms too.

swissair81
07-12-2010, 08:26 PM
The last 2 times I got prgnant while breastfeeding. Both times I got a positive pregnancy test. Maybe you should wait a few days & test again.

Roni
07-12-2010, 08:49 PM
I got pregnant with dd#2 while I was breastfeeding, and the test was positive. But, dd1 was almost 2 1/2, and I had been ovulating regularly. With this pregnancy, although I wasn't breasfeeding, my cycle was weird, and my first pregnancy test came out negative. I waited a few days and tried again. Then it was positive. So, it could be too early to tell. Or, like PP suggested, you could be ovulating.

drcarpiodds
07-13-2010, 03:56 AM
Maybe you are ovulating - that would explain the symptoms too.

is queasiness a symptom of ovulation?

Never had this before with pregnancy (no morning sickness with ds1 and 2) or ovulation...

I've been feeling really grossed out lately, but I'm not febrile or sick with anything in particular...

Never thought I would say this... but oh how I miss my period...

It kept me on point with everything...

Now I'm lost in the unknown cycle...

daisymommy
07-13-2010, 09:53 AM
Or it could be that you are getting ready to start your period for the first real cycle post-partum. I would wait a week, then retest.

Snow mom
07-13-2010, 10:49 AM
I agree with Amy-- wait a week and retest. BF wouldn't interfere with test results. They measure a hormone that wouldn't be affected by BF.

bostonsmama
07-13-2010, 11:52 AM
Ditto Lisa. Breastfeeding hormones would not affect hcg levels measured in your urine or blood...and most nausea doesn't show up when it's too early for hcg to show up in urine. Get a sensative test (like FRER or a Dollar Tree one), use first morning urine, and try again, but it sounds like something else.

missym
07-13-2010, 11:59 AM
That comes close to describing how I felt leading up to my period while breastfeeding. I would also sometimes get waves of nausea while nursing during my period, or feel agitated about having a baby at the breast, esp. when they were older and had teeth.

ewpmsw
07-13-2010, 03:55 PM
ITA that you should wait and retest in a few days. Hormones can make us feel funky for all kinds of reasons - I recall feeling icky on a morning-sickness level a few times while BFing and not pg. Seemed to be caused by hormonal changes and always happened when I'd have a change in supply, like an increase or decrease in demand by DD. It happened when she weaned, too.

drcarpiodds
07-14-2010, 01:43 AM
everyone!

Great input...

You ladies are great!