PDA

View Full Version : So frustrated with airline policies!!!!

edurnemk
07-13-2010, 12:13 PM
Ok, so we moved abroad a few months ago, and next week for the first time we'll be travelling with a local airline with DS. I am so frustrated by their lack of info, weird bagagge policies for children....

1. There is no clear info on their webpage as to what's allowed as exception items for kids. It says I can take a stroller or infant seat, not any car seat, it has to be an infant seat.

2. They charge extra bagagge by the kilo! 6 USD per Kilo ($3 a pound). I know the cribs at the resort are terrible since I've been there before, an accident waiting to happen, really. So I need to travel with stroller (this one is free), car seat, and pack n play! I don't even want to do the math, it will cost me a fortune!

3. I called the airline to ask if I can install our car seat on DS's seat, and after 30 minutes of being transfered all around and being put on hold, and treated like I'm nuts for wanting to install a car seat on a plane, the answer is no. Since he's 2 and paid for a seat he can't bring a car seat on board. That makes no sense! Why would you allow more stuff for a baby that may have not paid for a seat, than for one that paid adult price for one? I get it that here people don't put their kids on car seats on a plane, and that's strange for them, but how can they say if he's under 2 it's ok if he's 2 it's not? And no convertibles, only bucket seats? What difference does it make to them? Once installed they both take up one seat.

I mean I can let it go and have him fly with no car seat, ok, but I need the car seat at our destination, so I have to pay for it as extra baggage, I hate that.

Well... at least I know I won't have to haul the car seat through the airport...(I'm flying alone with DS).

I'm writing to the corporate office to complain.

buddyleebaby
07-13-2010, 01:25 PM
I would try your luck when you go to check-in.

When we have flown overseas, we have been allowed to check our crib (pack and play) at no additional cost. We have also been able to carry our carseats on board to install them for our (over age 2) children to use.

Every time I have called the airline to get clarification on luggage policies, etc., I get conflicting answers. But the people at the airport seem to have a better handle on things.

Good Luck!

jal
07-13-2010, 02:21 PM
Are ALL the following TRUE:

1. Child has paid for a seat (not flying free in mommy's lap)
2. The seat is labelled for aircraft use
3. The child has a windows seat (or reasonable expectation of getting a window seat)
4. Terms of service does not clearly indicate a car seat is NOT allowed
5. The seat isn't so big that you can't expect it to fit.

If so, then quit asking questions and simply take the seat with you to the airport. Don't take it with you to the check-in counter (if you have to go to one to drop off your luggage). Just simply lug it with you into the terminal. You might get stopped and get a few queries from the airline personnel at the gate, but so long as you pass all these tests (especailly a factory label on the seat indicating it's designed for aircraft), then you should reasonably expect to be allowed to use the seat on the plane. If for some reason they insist that you can not use the seat on the plane, then have them gate-check it and at least it should get to your destination without additional baggage fees (because you SHOULD be allowed to use it on the plane, not just transport it).

And while I would expect to be allowed to gate-check a stroller, IMHO a parent shouldn't EXPECT to transport a Pac-n-play for free (unless it's a part of the allowance for passenger's luggage... but you might run into size issues there). Otherwise, the only other "baby" items I would expect to be allowed to carry on-board for free would be what ever you can "REASONABLY" carry (and need) in a diaper bag (i.e. if mom is allowed a 'purse' as carry-on, the a ticket paying child should be allowed a diaper bag as a carry-on, even if mommy is carrying both).

edurnemk
07-13-2010, 02:41 PM
Are ALL the following TRUE:

1. Child has paid for a seat (not flying free in mommy's lap)
2. The seat is labelled for aircraft use
3. The child has a windows seat (or reasonable expectation of getting a window seat)
4. Terms of service does not clearly indicate a car seat is NOT allowed
5. The seat isn't so big that you can't expect it to fit.

If so, then quit asking questions and simply take the seat with you to the airport. Don't take it with you to the check-in counter (if you have to go to one to drop off your luggage). Just simply lug it with you into the terminal. You might get stopped and get a few queries from the airline personnel at the gate, but so long as you pass all these tests (especailly a factory label on the seat indicating it's designed for aircraft), then you should reasonably expect to be allowed to use the seat on the plane. If for some reason they insist that you can not use the seat on the plane, then have them gate-check it and at least it should get to your destination without additional baggage fees (because you SHOULD be allowed to use it on the plane, not just transport it).

Well, yeah, all of the above is true, I think I'll take my chances at the gate.

And while I would expect to be allowed to gate-check a stroller, IMHO a parent shouldn't EXPECT to transport a Pac-n-play for free (unless it's a part of the allowance for passenger's luggage... but you might run into size issues there). Otherwise, the only other "baby" items I would expect to be allowed to carry on-board for free would be what ever you can "REASONABLY" carry (and need) in a diaper bag (i.e. if mom is allowed a 'purse' as carry-on, the a ticket paying child should be allowed a diaper bag as a carry-on, even if mommy is carrying both).

Oh I didn't expect to take th PnP as an exception item, just as part of DS's luggage allowance. I plan to pack one suitcase for the both of us (my allowance), and then the PnP (his allowance), diaper bag and purse as carry ons (1 for each of us), stroller as courtesy item (gate check). And worst case, I'll have to pay weight of car seat x $6 x 2 (round trip).

nfowife
07-14-2010, 04:52 AM
are you in Europe? The carseat thing is annoying. Basically the "rule" for most Euro carriers is that the child (over 2) must be buckled in the seat using the belt for take off and landing. During the flight you are permitted to use the carseat....but not sure where you are supposed to put it when the kid is in the seat without it, kwim? I finally gave up and just check the carseat in a bag as luggage. It just wasn't worth the hassle. And I've had the same airline allow my carseats as "free" luggage on the outgoing flight but on the return tell me I had to pay 20 euro for each one or carry them on (I chose the latter, as they were my inexpensive travel carseats and not worth 20 euro each to me in the first place).
It blows my mind how they would think that a 2 year old would be safer bouncing around with a loose lap belt on a plane than strapped into a carseat attached to the plane's seat with a 5 point harness. Ugh!!!