PDA

View Full Version : Bikini wax while pregnant?

LadyPeter
07-13-2010, 01:15 PM
I've never had one before and I realize now may not be the best time. Has anyone had experience getting waxed "down there" while pg? Should I reconsider?

elektra
07-13-2010, 01:20 PM
It hurts like a MUGG during pregnancy FYI. I had a wax right before a Hawaii trip at 6 months pregnant, and I would probably do it again because who wants to deal with bikini line issues when you are 6 months preggo and in a bathing suit every day for a week, but dude, it hurt pretty bad. More blood flow to the area I think is the reason.
My plan was to go back again right before my due date to be all nice and neat for delivery, but that was not going to happen.

luckytwenty
07-13-2010, 01:24 PM
I get it done once a month and it's no biggie for me, but I've been waxing for years. I think it hurts the most when you have your period, and of course you don't deal with that for at least 9 months when pregnant.

I just get the "V" style and always have, as I've never been interested in going all bare/Brazilian/etc. Just enough so I can wear a bathing suit and not be self conscious.

elektra
07-13-2010, 01:27 PM
I get it done once a month and it's no biggie for me, but I've been waxing for years. I think it hurts the most when you have your period, and of course you don't deal with that for at least 9 months when pregnant.

I just get the "V" style and always have, as I've never been interested in going all bare/Brazilian/etc. Just enough so I can wear a bathing suit and not be self conscious.

See I used to be a somewhat regular waxer too (don't ask the state of the union these days though! :bag) but the pregnant one really did a number on me. I mean yes, it hurts just normally, but I had to take a knee after the one at 6mo.
BUT, I went all out, playboy, brazillian, whatever your place calls it. Leaving just a patch in front.

So this is probably great advice to just go more minimal on the sides. Because I think the whole underneath part was what did me in, not the sides IYKWIM.

swissair81
07-13-2010, 01:32 PM
I honestly have enough baring down there at the doctor once in a blue moon. I'm not in a rush to do it at the salon either. I usually do my own maintenance, but I have a big ole belly in the way at the moment. My state of the union is probably shocking.

luckytwenty
07-13-2010, 01:35 PM
Because I think the whole underneath part was what did me in, not the sides IYKWIM.

I have had that whole underneath part done before, and that area is indeed very tender! I don't think the sides are nearly as sensitive. Honestly, an upper lip wax (which I also need while PG) is a lot more painful.

swissair81
07-13-2010, 01:39 PM
Anyone ever use this? http://www.amazon.com/Remington-BKT-1000-Shape-Bikini-Trimmer/dp/B0000BY85E/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

ewpmsw
07-13-2010, 03:48 PM
Anyone ever use this? http://www.amazon.com/Remington-BKT-1000-Shape-Bikini-Trimmer/dp/B0000BY85E/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Not that model, but similar ones made for personal trimming. They do an okay job, but tend to chafe or scrape a bit when you can't see what you're doing because of a preggo belly and things are already sensitive from being pg.

LadyPeter
07-13-2010, 07:17 PM
I usually do my own grooming too, but now it's like my arms aren't long enough. And it's getting to the point where I'm afraid my midwife will do an impromptu exam and I won't be ready! She usually doesn't, but it would be just my luck.

swissair81
07-13-2010, 07:22 PM
Not that model, but similar ones made for personal trimming. They do an okay job, but tend to chafe or scrape a bit when you can't see what you're doing because of a preggo belly and things are already sensitive from being pg.

Advice? Something better? I wax my brows & lip, but I do draw the line there.

Roni
07-13-2010, 10:37 PM
When I have to wear a bathing suit without board shorts, I usually do sugaring instead of waxing, but the last time I went, I had to have wax because the sugar wasn't working for some reason. I found that my skin was especially sensitive as the hair started growing back. With dd#1 I had a sugaring too close to my due date, & I had that uncomfortable growth happening right after she was born. It was awful. So, no more waxing this pregnancy for me.

swissair81
07-13-2010, 10:51 PM
Sugaring?

Roni
07-14-2010, 12:06 PM
Sugaring is like waxing, but it's a sugary mixture. It's better for sensitive skin than waxing is, but it's really hard to find a place that does it.

TonFirst
07-14-2010, 12:51 PM
Oh my goodness, I was waxed once when I was pregnant with my first. I NEVER made that mistake again. I was a frequent waxer before my pregnancies and barely felt any pain at all - until that one time when I was pregnant.