PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have reviews on the Toddler Patapum?

ang79
07-13-2010, 01:47 PM
Found a gently used black Toddler Patapum for $55, is that a good deal? I currently have an Action Baby Carrier and like it, but after trying out a friend's Ergo, I can see how the extra waist support would be nicer for longer carries (I'm thinking trips to the zoo, hikes, etc.). Right now I mainly use my ABC for short walks, short shopping trips, and if DD (19 mos.) just wants to be held while I'm doing things around the house. And I almost always do back carries.

For reference I'm small (5'2", 108 lbs.) and so is DD (she was just 20 lbs. and 31" at her last appt. a month ago). I'm guess I would need the toddler size vs. the baby size of the Patapum? I'm a bit hesitant about the ease of getting her in and out by myself with that extra strap on the Toddler version though.

Would love to hear your likes/dislikes!

hobie
07-13-2010, 08:32 PM
The patapum is a well made carrier, and you will love the support that the hip belt adds.

KrisM
07-13-2010, 09:07 PM
I find it hard to get the kids in and out because of having to get their legs through a hole. I can do it, but it's not super easy.

It is comfy to wear and I put DS2 in it around 20 lbs or so.

Smillow
07-13-2010, 09:28 PM
I have both the Ergo & the Toddler Patapum. I had the Ergo first & put DS in @7 months (weighed > 20lbs) and love it. I bought the Patapum when he was 10 months old because I got a great deal on in on ebay & I had heard it had a higher back & DS has a loooong torso. I have not used the Patapum much & have just started doing back carries in the Ergo. I used the Patapum the other day for a back carry & I think it was easier to get him on my back by myself (DS is now 16 months) than the Ergo (or maybe we are just getting better at it) but I don't think I had it adjusted right as my back is now sore & the buckles rubbed at my armpits. I have heard that the Patapum is good for larger people (I am large). I like the wider waist belt on the Ergo. But then again, I have used the Ergo alot and the Patapum probably 2X.
HTH!

ang79
07-14-2010, 08:08 AM
Thanks for the input! I went ahead and got the one on Ebay. It looks like it is the newest model with the moisture wicking fabric on the straps, so I'm hoping its cooler than the Ergo that I tried from my friend (I get hot very easily in the summer and especially when I'm using a carrier!). I plan on keeping my ABC for short carries or when she wasnt up/down frequently but am hoping the TP will feel better for longer carries.