PDA

View Full Version : When did your kids stop playing with blocks?

new_mommy25
07-13-2010, 06:40 PM
We have 2 sets of M&D standard unit blocks, 1 set of alphabet blocks, 1 set Haba Fantasy blocks, and 2 sets of wooden people in various sizes.

DS is almost 7, DD is 4. DS used to play with the blocks all the time but I can't remember the last time he pulled them out. DD never really played with them.

They're taking up an entire shelf in the living room (we have a small house, no playroom) and I am trying to reorganize. I can't decide whether to leave them as is, to put them in the closet in the event the kids want to play with them again one day, or pass them on to my 21 month old niece. We're not planning on any more children any time soon, but I also haven't closed that door. I may want another child in a few years.

When did your children stop playing with blocks? I'm scared to ask my kids whether I should keep them or not because they always vote in favor of keeping. I prefer to purge when they are not around. :love-retry:

Momof3Labs
07-13-2010, 11:17 PM
ds2 has been having a blast with our unit blocks lately! I dug them out because they were one of the few toys that are baby safe. DS1 has had fun, too, but not as much as ds2. So I vote to wait on purging blocks (or at least keep some of them, if not all).

zoestargrove
07-15-2010, 11:56 AM
My kids are 5.5 and 7 and use the unit blocks and kapla blocks every day. I don't see them going away anytime soon in our house.

swissair81
07-15-2010, 02:37 PM
Put them in the closet and see if they miss them. I rotate toys frequently anyway. The only ones I leave out all of the time, are the perennial favorites. My kids love blocks though. I'd sooner put away their dolls (another favorite), than their building materials.

fivi2
07-15-2010, 02:43 PM
Can you set them next to another toy (or buy some new accessories) to see if that helps? Maybe some matchbox cars to make ramps and tunnels and garages for, or plastic animals to make a zoo or a farm? My girls love building things *for* something, more than just building for the sake of building.