PDA

View Full Version : Bikini wax question

Myira
07-14-2010, 11:28 AM
I know probably should not be in Momwear, but I was not sure whether lounge was the right place for it either. Can someone explain bikini wax to me?

And those of you that do it, how often do you have to keep doing it to not have that uncomfortable feeling after the short growth?

What about using a razor? I ask this because recently I tried to take care of it myself and frankly I made a mess of things down there. I used the Venus disposable razor and coochy cream. Did not get a good shave and boy am I uncomfortable. Actually thinking I may have to see a doctor if this does not go away in a week or so :48:

Nicsmom
07-14-2010, 12:19 PM
I do not wax regularly as I alternate between waxing and shaving. Waxing is somewhat painful but it's not uncomfortable when the hair starts to grow back, as it is with shaving. Also it lasts much longer...a couple of months, maybe? I guess that depends, each person is different. Because I do not always wax my hair has not grown thinner with time, but my friends who only wax say that is another advantage of waxing.

swissair81
07-14-2010, 04:15 PM
What about using a razor? I ask this because recently I tried to take care of it myself and frankly I made a mess of things down there. I used the Venus disposable razor and coochy cream. Did not get a good shave and boy am I uncomfortable. Actually thinking I may have to see a doctor if this does not go away in a week or so :48:

Yeah, I did that to myself once. To be very blunt, it felt like raw meat down there for months. I used hydrocortisone cream to minimize the discomfort. I gave up after that. There is a thread in the Pregnancy section with ideas. I think someone mentioned using a trimmer.

christiedavid3
07-14-2010, 04:17 PM
I'm actually in the process of doing laser hair removal down there because I got an amazing Groupon deal. :jammin:

That said, I do shave regularly, and have done Brazilian bikini waxes (OUCH!)

I don't have any issues with shaving. Make sure you shave WITH the grain of the hair, and not against it. Shaving against the grain will surely cause ingrown hairs. The more often you shave, the less ingrowns you will get.

I use the Venus reusable razors and shaving gel. It really just takes time to get used to shaving.

Myira
07-14-2010, 05:45 PM
I would like to Brazilian once but the pain aspect makes me run away. I'd love laser on my legs, I have a jungle there from shaving too, and thats really annoying to wax/shave all the time.

MamaSnoo
07-14-2010, 11:22 PM
I wax myself at home, but it is a pretty conservative job. Just so I can go to the pool. The pain really decreases over time. I have to do it about once every month for bikini. I do use a trimmer for the rest of the hair in the bikini area, just to keep it relatively kempt looking, not bald. Because I do not take everything off, there is no discomfort.

I tried waxing my legs, but could not get the results I wanted. I changed to an epilator. I have liked that a lot. You do need to exfoliate to help prevent ingrown hairs. This also gets more confortable with time.

I still shave my pits. I am just chicken to do anything else!

sansdieu
07-15-2010, 12:23 AM
I caved in and bought this (it was on Costco with a coupon a couple of months ago):

http://www.silkn.com/

It's similar to laser (well, technically it's light, not laser), but can be done at home. The problem with doing laser at the salon (other than the prohibitively high cost) is that you're supposed to follow a certain schedule (hair growth cycle), and who has time for that? So anyway, I've used it about 5 times on the bikini already, and I must say that, of all the areas I've treated, I get the best results in the bikini area. (I also had all kinds of problems, irritatations, ingrown hairs after shaving and/or waxing.) It works pretty well on legs too. Underarms, suprisingly, I'm least happy with.

Regardless, it would be nice to find a swimshort that looks good and not dowdy...