PDA

View Full Version : did u shave??

prats
07-14-2010, 05:24 PM
i cant believe i am actually asking this but..... did anyone shave completely down there before your due date?waxing is out of question coz its too painful.

lizzywednesday
07-14-2010, 05:48 PM
I would have if I could have reached/seen the area, but, as it was, shaving my LEGS was hard enough!!!

Good luck.

swissair81
07-14-2010, 05:49 PM
No. Not in preparation for any of my births.

Myira
07-14-2010, 05:50 PM
I did not shave my last pregnancy & labor, and always thought what the hell my doctor's seen it all. But now after reading so many care enough to be presentable down there, I think I feel a little embarrassed :tongue5: and I have decided next time I will do what it takes to get that neat look.

swissair81
07-14-2010, 05:53 PM
I hate to be crude and all, but having seen many women have babies, not that many really cared about being 'presentable'. Next point, the doctors, midwives, nurses, etc, don't care either.

Beth24
07-14-2010, 06:02 PM
I totally agree with swissair. I would just worry about yourself. I didn't do anything more than a normal shave of the legs. I really doubt your ob or midwife or nurse will even notice. And think about how uncomfortable it could be when the hair grows back!

swissair81
07-14-2010, 06:04 PM
I totally agree with swissair. I would just worry about yourself. I didn't do anything more than a normal shave of the legs. I really doubt your ob or midwife or nurse will even notice. And think about how uncomfortable it could be when the hair grows back!

If I cared about anything at all, it would be to give myself an enema when I go into labor. I'm sure you can guess why. I'd probably shave my legs too, but I'm not prone to uncontrollable hairiness, so maybe not.

Fairy
07-14-2010, 06:09 PM
i cant believe i am actually asking this but.....

Dude, that's why we're here. Seriously, whatever your topic of discomfort or ickiness or TMI, who else ya gonna ask but strangers on a message board who have no idea who you are and you don't have to look in the eye but will tell you what you wanna know?

swissair81
07-14-2010, 06:10 PM
Dude, that's why we're here. Seriously, whatever your topic of discomfort or ickiness or TMI, who else ya gonna ask but strangers on a message board who have no idea who you are and you don't have to look in the eye but will tell you what you wanna know?

:yeahthat: Ask all the questions you would never ask your friends.

larig
07-14-2010, 06:36 PM
I hate to be crude and all, but having seen many women have babies, not that many really cared about being 'presentable'. Next point, the doctors, midwives, nurses, etc, don't care either.

:yeahthat:

that was totally the very last thing on my mind. Seriously. Besides, who needs the itch you're inevitably going to get when you're trying to recover?

ETA: I was way more concerned about pooping during delivery, which I did not do, but it was my irrational concern in the moment (funny what we all worry about).

Sweetum
07-14-2010, 06:42 PM
During our birth class, the RN who did the class didn't talk about shaving, but she did talk about pooping, and spoke about it quite matter of factly (" you will likely do that, but it'll all be taken care of...") and that put me at ease :)

Roni
07-14-2010, 06:46 PM
I would not shave. The only reason I care about my bikini line is because I swim.

SnuggleBuggles
07-14-2010, 07:29 PM
No way. I wouldn't want the discomfort of hair regrowth while recovering down there. I did trim up a bit but I didn't do more than that.

Beth

luckytwenty
07-14-2010, 07:30 PM
No, but if you have a c-section, they will shave for you. It itches when it grows back, so it might be worth it to wax. I am having a third scheduled C and am considering getting a thorough wax a few days before my surgery but want to check with my OB first in case that could cause other problems.

SnuggleBuggles
07-14-2010, 07:34 PM
No, but if you have a c-section, they will shave for you. It itches when it grows back, so it might be worth it to wax. I am having a third scheduled C and am considering getting a thorough wax a few days before my surgery but want to check with my OB first in case that could cause other problems.

I can't believe they still do this. US News and World Report ran a study 6-7y ago about how they aren't shaving any more b/c it increases infection risks from ingrowns and such.

Beth

swissair81
07-14-2010, 07:37 PM
I can't believe they still do this. US News and World Report ran a study 6-7y ago about how they aren't shaving any more b/c it increases infection risks from ingrowns and such.

Beth

for vaginal births. they shave for c-sections to keep the incision site clear.

KrisM
07-14-2010, 08:15 PM

But, they only shaved about 1/2 inch at the top, where the cut would be for me.

Beth24
07-14-2010, 08:31 PM
If I cared about anything at all, it would be to give myself an enema when I go into labor. I'm sure you can guess why. I'd probably shave my legs too, but I'm not prone to uncontrollable hairiness, so maybe not.

You know what is so funny about my most recent birth experience 2 weeks ago, which was my 4th--I was just as excited about not pooping during the pushing as I was about doing it without pain medication for the first time! That is pretty sad isn't it?

swissair81
07-14-2010, 08:54 PM
You know what is so funny about my most recent birth experience 2 weeks ago, which was my 4th--I was just as excited about not pooping during the pushing as I was about doing it without pain medication for the first time! That is pretty sad isn't it?

That's pretty darn hilarious.

c&j04
07-14-2010, 09:18 PM
Apparently I was too uptight but I had everything trimmed basically down to nothing. The nurses in my room said "oh wow, you shaved. Now we don"t have to." Got back to the OR and someone said "looks like they didn't have time to shave. Let's quick fit that in." And that is how I ended up dealing with the worst ingrown hairs I've ever imagined.....and still am 11 weeks later:irked:

indigo99
07-14-2010, 09:24 PM
I had a c-section after pushing and don't know if they shaved me at all. I certainly didn't notice it anyway. I did trim up a bit before going to the hospital, but that was mainly in preparation of all the bleeding/pads afterward. I wouldn't shave.

Smillow
07-14-2010, 09:37 PM
:bag
I had DH give me a thorough trim in my last month of pregnancy - I felt really gross and wanted to feel cleaner. I ended up with a c-section & they did shave the area where the incision would be.

SnuggleBuggles
07-14-2010, 09:39 PM
for vaginal births. they shave for c-sections to keep the incision site clear.

It was a study talking about abdominal surgery.

Beth

swissair81
07-14-2010, 09:43 PM
It was a study talking about abdominal surgery.

Beth

Hmm, that's pretty funny. They shave just about every pre-op site in existence. Have been for quite some time.

happymom
07-14-2010, 09:44 PM
I had a c-section after pushing and don't know if they shaved me at all. I certainly didn't notice it anyway. I did trim up a bit before going to the hospital, but that was mainly in preparation of all the bleeding/pads afterward. I wouldn't shave.

I also had a c-section after pushing. It was an emergency c-section and they did not shave at all...I guess they simply did not have time. But the incision was above the bikini area anyways, so it was not necessary to shave.

swissair81
07-14-2010, 09:45 PM
I also had a c-section after pushing. It was an emergency c-section and they did not shave at all...I guess they simply did not have time. But the incision was above the bikini area anyways, so it was not necessary to shave.

I can imagine that they would forgo shaving in an emergency. Getting the baby out is the top priority at that point, not the pre-op checklist.

Myira
07-14-2010, 11:32 PM

:yeahthat: a 100 times

This is what has me hooked to this board I confess.

I heard on npr some expert say that these internet communities are becoming a crucial and integral part of people's lives in todays world. Don't remember the exact segment/program....

Sorry to digress OP, but just could not help myself.

prats
07-15-2010, 08:39 AM
heyyy thanks a lot for the quick response.........i didnt expect so many answers in such a short time!! this is awesome......looks like i was just too worried about being clean down there.......i am relieved!! i am in my 39th week and have an internal exam today...

SnuggleBuggles
07-15-2010, 08:58 AM
Hmm, that's pretty funny. They shave just about every pre-op site in existence. Have been for quite some time.

Yeah, the article was from a few years back. It sounded quite convincing to me. Here's some info, if you are interested:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2502186/pdf/annrcse01587-0009.pdf

"The day of surgery, if the surgical site needs to be shaved, ask to be clippered, not shaved with a razor, which can create nicks where bacteria thrive."
http://www.cnn.com/2008/HEALTH/05/01/ep.avoiding.infection/index.html

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/559891_4

Beth

swissair81
07-15-2010, 09:01 AM
[deleted.

swissair81
07-15-2010, 09:07 AM
Yeah, the article was from a few years back. It sounded quite convincing to me. Here's some info, if you are interested:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2502186/pdf/annrcse01587-0009.pdf

"The day of surgery, if the surgical site needs to be shaved, ask to be clippered, not shaved with a razor, which can create nicks where bacteria thrive."
http://www.cnn.com/2008/HEALTH/05/01/ep.avoiding.infection/index.html

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/559891_4

Beth

It's definitely an interesting study. The problem comes in when someone asks to have their pubic hair clippered instead of shaved & you don't have a clipper (like in my department). All the other items they suggest, didn't have to do with specific floor stock. Asking your dr or nurse if they washed their hands or marked your surgical site or hung pre op antibiotics doesn't require you to have anything special, just do what you are supposed to in the first place.

newg
07-15-2010, 09:37 AM
I stopped shaving about a month ago....it's hard enough to get my legs done. I had a c-section last time and I honestly can't remember if theyshaved me. I dontthink they did because me scar is above my hair line. My mom still tells me stories about how she was completely shaved and growing the hair back out was more painful than recovering fromgiving birth.

Babymakes3
07-15-2010, 10:07 AM
Ummm so I guess i'll be the lone ranger here. I shave everything all the time, not just before I gave birth. I pushed then got a c-section but I don't remember hearing anyone mention oh good we don't have to shave or trim her. I've been doing it for so long that luckily I didn't need to see down there at the end of my pregnancy to do it. After however I struggled so I went out and got I think Veet with the bladeless razor and had hubby help with down there and my legs, hehe.

mom2MandC
07-15-2010, 10:08 AM
I was specifically told not to shave a few days before my scheduled csection because of the risk of infection (as someone posted above). But was told if needed, they may "trim" so that the surgical tape would not be painful to get off.
It is funny that at such an exciting, joyous time we all worry about these things!!

creativelightbulb
07-15-2010, 11:20 AM
it has crossed my mind lately as the big date approaches but I honestly can't reach it soooooo....NEXT...lol

BabyBearsMom
07-15-2010, 11:32 AM

WolfpackMom
07-15-2010, 11:45 AM
Nope, I had enough trouble attempting to shave my legs and I know plenty of people who didnt even attempt to do that. Drs have seen all there is to see, I wouldnt worry about it.

lchang25000
07-15-2010, 12:09 PM
I shaved/trimmed often during pregnancy and also before and after. It's not for "looks" but makes me feel "cleaner". The hair growing back does not bother me or make me itch at all.

BabyMine
07-15-2010, 12:29 PM
I shaved/trimmed often during pregnancy and also before and after. It's not for "looks" but makes me feel "cleaner". The hair growing back does not bother me or make me itch at all.

:yeahthat: It was a PITA to do but it just made me feel cleaner and was easier to clean with all the post partum discharge.

ewpmsw
07-15-2010, 03:24 PM

This. Definitely for comfort and not for looks. I've considered asking DH for some help, but honestly, I don't want nicks from a razor or shaver just before and after I deliver a baby. If things look uneven or whatever in the delivery room, oh well.

In re pooping during delivery: Meh. DH is/was way more concerned about that than me. He felt the need to tell me ASAP that his poo fears were realized after our first DC was born.

WolfpackMom
07-15-2010, 03:54 PM
In re pooping during delivery: Meh. DH is/was way more concerned about that than me. He felt the need to tell me ASAP that his poo fears were realized after our first DC was born.

I specifically told my husband to not, under any circumstance, tell me if I did. I asked him afterward ofcourse and he told me I didnt but I dont know if thats the truth...and I dont care, I didnt want to know!

swissair81
07-15-2010, 03:56 PM
My nurse told me. My DH was so upset at her, he specifically lied to me to make me feel better.

oneontheway
07-15-2010, 04:49 PM
That is so funny. My DH says I didn't but I've always suspected different. I was so fearful of it during DS1 that it took me forever pushing because I wasn't pushing the right way since I was afraid to poop. This is now my third time around and if it gets the baby out faster and easier then I'll get over it :)

LexyLou
07-15-2010, 05:15 PM
I kinda trimmed down there during my pregnancies just because I was pregnant during the summer both times and spent a lot of time at the beach/pools.

I did have to entrust DH to shave in the final trimester, luckily my DH is JGE (Just Gay Enough) so I fully trust him with a razor in that region. :ROTFLMAO:

As for pooping on the table. We joked about it. I figured it would happen and didn't really care but I just called my mom who was present for both kids and she said I never did, in either. I made her swear she wasn't just saying that but she said I didn't. DH said I didn't either so I guess I have super sphincter control. Now that's something to be proud of.:wink2:

sste
07-15-2010, 05:28 PM
This didn't even occur to me. Not only did I not shave, during my c-section my ob went out of her way to only shave the small strip of hair that would have potentially interfered with her procedure.

Also, in terms of appearances, I tend to think women look a little odd when their public hair is in perfect triangular geometric alignment (or the narrow rectangular strip)! So to me its not a real boon in terms of looking presentable or attractive.

Last, dh is a health care provider as are many of our friends and as a generalization it takes ALOT to gross nurses, doc, etc out. Really alot. I can't tell you the dinner conversations I have heard, the times friends have suggested I publicly pull up shirt/wiggle pants down so they can investigate a mole before we go out, etc.

swissair81
07-15-2010, 05:32 PM
as a generalization it takes A LOT to gross nurses, doc, etc out. Really a lot.

cindys
07-15-2010, 06:13 PM
With my last c-section I went and got a wax...It was so great...

Had I know how much cleaner and better it would be for healing wise I would have done it with my other c-sections.

Plus, I didnt see any hair growing back for almost 8 weeks!

And it didnt hurt when I got the waxing done.

Cindy
Mama to 3 boys...19, 4 & 21mos :love-retry::love-retry::love-retry:

lchang25000
07-15-2010, 06:14 PM
Last, dh is a health care provider as are many of our friends and as a generalization it takes ALOT to gross nurses, doc, etc out. Really alot.

DH and I are both HCPs as well and it is true that it takes a lot to gross me out. If I am grossed out for some reason, I can still keep a straight face and look calm. I still prefer to shave/trim down there regardless, for my sake.

sunnyside
07-15-2010, 06:15 PM
Last, dh is a health care provider as are many of our friends and as a generalization it takes ALOT to gross nurses, doc, etc out. Really alot.

My dads a dr. and my mom is a nurse and I believe this is true, but the OB that delivered me got grossed out. After he cleaned me up he said I hadn't delivered the placenta in time and that I only had a 30 minute window and if it wasn't delivered in that half hour I'd have to have surgery. So I said should I try to push it out? And he got ready and said to go ahead. But he was yelling at me to push harder so I pushed really hard and it flew out and into a plastic bin and splashed all over him and he made a disgusted sound like "Uuuuuuuawwggh" and made a face. I apologized and said I didn't mean to but he did say push harder.

sste
07-15-2010, 06:32 PM
My dads a dr. and my mom is a nurse and I believe this is true, but the OB that delivered me got grossed out. After he cleaned me up he said I hadn't delivered the placenta in time and that I only had a 30 minute window and if it wasn't delivered in that half hour I'd have to have surgery. So I said should I try to push it out? And he got ready and said to go ahead. But he was yelling at me to push harder so I pushed really hard and it flew out and into a plastic bin and splashed all over him and he made a disgusted sound like "Uuuuuuuawwggh" and made a face. I apologized and said I didn't mean to but he did say push harder.

That is hilarious! Well, maybe full body contact with feces (or was it placenta) will get to them! I have a feeling (I don't even want to know) that my dh has experienced some, uh, splashage too but it didn't phase him beyond the immediate moment as I never heard about it at home. :)

swissair81
07-15-2010, 06:45 PM

That is bizarre. I honestly had a placenta explode all over me when I tried to put it in the bin. I had to change my scrubs (obviously), but I was laughing about it. Doctors who get grossed out AND show it need to change their profession.

My dh makes so much fun of me: I can deal with any bodily fluid or excretion, but I get grossed out by chicken fat.

ivegotayen
07-16-2010, 01:08 AM
Just chiming in on the c-section topic floating around in this thread...

My hospital no longer shaves women as part of c-section prep. They may trim if needed, but that's it.

Myira
07-16-2010, 08:53 AM

:hysterical: gave me a good laugh picturing this