PDA

View Full Version : My 2 yo ate ketchup for supper tonight.

ShanaMama
07-14-2010, 07:15 PM
In honor of this post I actually checked the ingredients. HFCS and corn syrup. Great supper.
The best (worst?) part is that I'm totally cool with it. She ate a good breakfast and lunch so I'm not stressing over supper. She'll live.

MamaMolly
07-14-2010, 08:39 PM
Meh. You are absolutely right, she'll live and in my book it counts towards a veggie. NOt exactly counts *as* a veggie, but towards the daily total.

SnuggleBuggles
07-14-2010, 09:56 PM
LOL! When ds2 was sick a few weeks back I was willing to give him any food he wanted b/c he wasn't eating well. he asked for ketchup. He didn't really eat it but I was ok with it.

Beth

ShanaMama
07-14-2010, 10:10 PM
Meh. You are absolutely right, she'll live and in my book it counts towards a veggie. NOt exactly counts *as* a veggie, but towards the daily total.

Hmmm, we were at the dr for well checks this week and he asked if my girls eat fruits and veggies. Had i known I could count ketchup as a veggie my answer would have been slightly less disappointing.

DietCokeLover
07-14-2010, 10:12 PM
That's the closest I can get my dc to a veggie. I'm thrilled when they eat ketchup! lol

gatorsmom
07-14-2010, 10:15 PM
In honor of this post I actually checked the ingredients. HFCS and corn syrup. Great supper.
The best (worst?) part is that I'm totally cool with it. She ate a good breakfast and lunch so I'm not stressing over supper. She'll live.

Well, it's better than mayonaise.

ShanaMama
07-14-2010, 10:19 PM
Well, it's better than mayonaise.

ROFL! DD is allergic to eggs so I keep her far away from mayo. She did eat a bit of sunbutter out of the jar to round out her nutritious dinner. IIRC she gave me a look that said Can I lick the inside of the cover? And I was like, yeah, whatever. I must be getting old.

MamaSnoo
07-14-2010, 11:30 PM
BTDT. DD loves it, and I still remember when she realized that she could use her food as a scoop for shoveling the ketchup in her mouth instead of actually eating the food.

FWIW, organic ketchup (which sounds stupid conceptually) does not have HFCS. So, we buy that, and I think she only has it for dinner (exclusively) about once every two weeks.

I am with you, as long as she is getting a varied diet overall, you cannot sweat this stuff!

JBaxter
07-15-2010, 07:02 AM
We use the Heinz Organic Ketchup and I have a toddler who will keep licking and redipping one fry till all the ketchup is gone. I have to hide the bottle after giving him is portion.

sarahsthreads
07-15-2010, 10:38 AM
That's OK, my 5 yo ate sour cream for supper last night. Not the potato it was on, nor the zucchini it was next to. She might have eaten one microscopic bite of steak, it was hard to tell with the mess she created all over her plate. Clearly we should not be such mean parents and make such weird meals that have all "yucky" things in them.

My 2 yo adores ketchup too. We've been buying the new Simply Heinz which is made with sugar instead of HFCS. I was worried because it only came in a largish bottle, but I'm pretty sure we won't have a problem going through it all before it expires - DD2 would eat it with a spoon if we let her. Mmm....ketchup soup...

Sarah :)

Minnifer
07-15-2010, 11:45 AM
Oh yeah. The other night our new nanny made the mistake of putting ketchup on DD's steak at dinner. Which meant that DD ignored everything on the plate *but* the ketchup, and that is all she ate. We had to pretend the bottle was empty to avoid the full blown tantrum from not giving her more.

What the heck is it w/this - I mean, ketchup is tasty I suppose, but why is it like kiddie crack??? I'm mildly comforted that we use Annie's Organic, which also has sugar instead of HFCS, but still...

pinkmomagain
07-15-2010, 12:23 PM
My 4.5yo eats ketchup on a hot dog bun....no hot dog. But I am a "let it go" kinda mom when it comes to food.

HIU8
07-15-2010, 12:53 PM
My kids are like that with mustard. I have to hide the bottle. they get one dollup and that's it. Last night DS's dinner was noodles and mustard.

sarahsthreads
07-15-2010, 01:18 PM
My 4.5yo eats ketchup on a hot dog bun....no hot dog. But I am a "let it go" kinda mom when it comes to food.
That reminds me - my 5 yo usually asks for a hamburger at family picnics... Hold the meat. Seriously, one time at a restaurant, she had a meltdown because they put meat on her hamburger. She thought the hamburger was the bun. My kids have strange food preferences!

Sarah :)

MissM'sMom
07-15-2010, 02:44 PM
This thread makes me laugh, and glad to know I am not the only one having troubles with getting a very stubborn child to eat. Last night, she had tortilla chips for dinner. I am afraid to give her ketchup, as I know she would probably just suck it directly from the bottle!

army_mom
07-17-2010, 11:12 PM
wow. so my DD is totally normal! She has a great love for ketchup and sour cream. And also dips ANYTHING on her plate into the ketchup. over and over again. I do wonder why kids are so in love with this condiment? I can't really complain though because DD is a GREAT eater and eats everything minus asparagus and loves fruits and veggies. At least ketchup is better than candy, which DD hasn't really learned about yet....

ewpmsw
07-18-2010, 03:17 PM
Catsup rocks. We're at risk of cultivating a catsup ("ca-poop") habit at the dinner table. DD will eat green beans and other veggies... IF she can dip them in catsup. Works for us.