PDA

View Full Version : UPDATE: Anxiety and Feeling Overwhelmed

lizzywednesday
07-14-2010, 09:47 PM
UPDATE:

Well, DD's cardiology follow-up was this past Tuesday (7/27) and the news is still the same. (Of course, she's measured 24" long and weighs 13lbs 12oz, so she's still doing well otherwise. Oh, and she learned how to roll over and is working really hard on sitting up.)

HOWEVER, her cardiologist was very encouraged by the pictures from the echo because it looked like her heart was handling the pressures OK. Of course, she'd just nursed and was napping during this latest echo, but she's been calm for the last two, so I think it's a fair comparison. (I'll have to remember for next time that she should nurse BEFORE they call her for her echo to encourage sleepiness. She hates the gel!!!)

This doesn't mean her stenosis has resolved itself or that she won't need another procedure. She still has the stenosis and she still needs another cath.

We now have a rough timeline for when her next cath will happen. The cardiologist thinks it should take place around 3 months from now, but we'll have a more definite timeline after her next appointment in September.

So, my rainbow is still working its mojo ... and so are all of your thoughts & prayers. Thank you for your continued concern for my family and me!

================================================== ========
No, this isn't another b!tch about my DH. We worked that out after my last BP posting that he lurked out.

This is about DD and her continuing cardiac issues. *sigh*

Background about DD's condition & my prenatal anxiety about it is in this thread: http://www.windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=343540&highlight=nicu

For the record, we received TOP NOTCH care at CHoP and though our nearly 2 weeks there (I was admitted/induced on 3/8, delivered DD by C-section on 3/9, DD was discharged on 3/19) were sucky because of the situation, the staff made it suck less.

Anyhow ... DD had her June follow up with cardiology a couple of weeks ago.

The good news is my EBF baby is growing & gaining weight, up from a "discharge weight" of 7lbs 12oz to 12lbs 5oz and now around 25" from 19.75". Her BP is fine, color is good and O2 level is within normal ranges.

The less than great news is ... her stenosis wasn't solved by the original cath that they did when she was 12 hours old. (Yes. 12 HOURS old.)

They want to repeat the balloon valvuloplasty at some point soon. We just don't know when.

I think we will know more after her next follow up, so I am trying not to stress, but the fact is she will still need another cath procedure and will still need to go to the hospital for it.

We were taken off guard by the news because we were under the impression that DD was improving. It also didn't help that I watched the movie Something the Lord Made the day after her follow up; her condition is named in the movie but the treatment was actually for a different condition. (IMDB: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0386792/)

Truthfully, the saving grace is that her risks decrease as she grows bigger, so her stay will be more like an overnight than another 10-day stay like we had when she was born, so I guess it's not *that* bad, but I am still frazzled by the idea. I didn't plan for a second stay!!!

jent
07-14-2010, 09:49 PM
Sending you :grouphug:.

elizabethkott
07-14-2010, 09:52 PM
Oh poop.
:grouphug:
You've done a wonderful job, mama. Look at the power of your EBF-ing!!!!

Dr C
07-14-2010, 09:54 PM
Yup... she's bigger and this procedure should be easier... and it certainly is a good sign that she is gaining weight and strong enough to be such a good nurser!
But bless your heart for having to go through this again. Hugs!

larig
07-14-2010, 09:59 PM
hope your little one is better soon, and hugs to you.

ThreeofUs
07-14-2010, 10:11 PM
You've done a great job with her, Liz, and you're a super-mommy!

:hug::hug: to all of you. She's doing well, so all the odds are that she'll be all right with another procedure, and you'll make it through together. :hug::hug:

arivecchi
07-14-2010, 10:12 PM
Hang in there mama. You are doing amazing. :hug: Hope your LO is better soon.

gatorsmom
07-14-2010, 10:46 PM
Oh, big hugs. The good news is that those heart catheter procedure are so common place now and the doctors are so good at doing them. It's still scary though when you're a mom.. :hug: and p and pt.

citymama
07-15-2010, 01:39 AM
Just wanted to send best wishes and blessings for your DD. And a big hug for you. Please keep us posted and hope all goes amazingly well.

MontrealMum
07-15-2010, 02:30 AM
Lizzy, I'm so sorry but just want to say that you're doing a great job :cheerleader1: and hang in there - it sounds like your DD is a fighter too :bouncy: And feel free to come here to vent anytime :grouphug:

elektra
07-15-2010, 02:39 AM
You always seem so composed in your posts about your DD's heart and all that you and she have had to go through in order to treat her condition.
When my DD's ultrasound and fetal echo were showing a heart defect (that later resolved itself or just was not showing up on the following ultrasounds) I was a wreck and definitely NOT composed.
You must be the perfect mom for a baby who needs this extra kind of care!
Seriously, you are handling things so well, even your own anxiety. Your positive vibes, even in the midst of your fears and anxieties, are showing through are sure to pay off. :)

elephantmeg
07-15-2010, 06:03 AM
aww huge hugs. I am so sorry that she'll need another procedure!

boogiemomz
07-15-2010, 07:45 AM
So sorry, Liz, and big hugs :hug:. It's so discouraging to have one more (big) thing piled on you and your family, just when you thought you couldn't take any more and things were starting to settle down. Prayers for your sweet little one and for your nerves throughout the process. She will be fine and you will all get through it! You're a great, strong mama!! more :hug:

JTsMom
07-15-2010, 08:24 AM
:hug::hug::hug:

DS's surgery was at 3 months. At 13 months, he had to have a cath done for stenosis in a place that had not been a problem during the surgery. When the cardiologist called to tell me, I actually broke down on the phone with him. I said to him, "This is never going to be over, is it? We're never going to be able to put this behind us. We're never going to have a normal life"

He said, "Jason heart is a work in progress. No, his heart is never going to be normal, and yes, you'll always have to watch him, and yes, we'll have to tweak things here and there. But when he's running around with the other kids in Kindergarten, because he WILL be running around and playing with the other kids, I have no doubt, are you going to be thinking about this every day? No. Things like these caths are going to take up a few days of your lives, but the majority of the time, life will be 'normal'."

I know how badly it sucks. I really do. But thinking of it as just a few days out of thousands really helps me get through it. I just had to schedule a cardiac MRI for Jason yesterday, and I am terrified to the core that they are going to tell me he needs another OH surgery. I couldn't even sleep last night, and it's not until August. I hate, hate, hate this stuff, so I'm just repeating that motto to myself over and over.

You're right- it won't be as bad this time. She's bigger and stronger. You are stronger too, and you haven't just given birth. BF is well established. You know her, and you know how best to comfort her. You are both going to do great.

More :hug::hug::hug:. Let me know if you need to talk.

lizzywednesday
07-15-2010, 01:15 PM
Thanks everybody.

I'll have more news after her appointment in a couple weeks, though we'll be down the shore at my mother's so my internet access is going to be a bit spotty.

Maybe I am more composed about this because I saw a rainbow in the sky on my way to work the other day and it gave me comfort. I don't care if you're religious or not, but a rainbow in my part of the world is pretty special, so taking it as a sign from the Universe tends to make me feel better. (Case in point: I saw a rainbow on the way to our amnio at 21wks 5d and that made me feel that the test results we'd be getting back would be what we'd hoped for.)

mousemom
07-16-2010, 09:55 PM
I'm sorry you're dealing with this. But it's wonderful that your DD is growing and gaining so well! I hope your rainbow turns out to be a good omen.

scrooks
07-16-2010, 10:27 PM
:grouphug: So sorry your DD need another procedure. You've been doing a great job in a tough situation. You can get through this procedure and I will pray it is the last she needs!

Melbel
07-16-2010, 10:33 PM
Sending more prayers and positive thoughts for you and your little one. It is incredibly hard when little ones are not well. I still remember the beautiful rainbow that appeared as my FIL was getting out of brain surgery. It was such a comfort.

Melarina
07-17-2010, 06:35 AM
sending prayers your way! hoping this issue is resolved for your little girl and your family -- so sorry you are going through this

hillview
07-17-2010, 08:52 AM
HUGS mama. Medical situations with little ones is so miserable and stressful. DS2 had brain surgery at 3 months and the while process was just awful and stressful. Take care of yourself. This too shall pass. Getting top notch medical care is so key. HUGS.
/hillary

mommy111
07-18-2010, 11:02 AM
Lizzy, hang in there.:grouphug:

ewpmsw
07-18-2010, 03:12 PM
Sending p's and pt's for your daughter and family.

Green22
07-20-2010, 10:38 PM
Lots of :grouphug: