PDA

View Full Version : Any "no 'poo" people out there? (shampoo, of course!)

LarsMal
07-15-2010, 08:52 PM
I am finally giving the whole no 'poo thing a shot. I bought some bottles at Target and mixed up my baking soda/water "shampoo" in one and the apple cider vinegar/water "rinse" in the other. I've read about the recommended usage (couple times/week) but how many times/week CAN you use it?

I have been working out- hard- about 5 or 6 days a week lately. The kind where you can smell the sweat coming out of your hair when you hit the shower. Gross, but in a feel good way! I don't think rinsing with water is enough, but maybe it is. Does anyone know if it's bad to use the bs and acv stuff almost every day?

amldaley
07-15-2010, 09:45 PM
Try using a drop or two of tea tree oil in with some water every couple of days when you are working out and sweating alot. There are other things you can use too including mint, vitamin e oil, etc.

Would love to hear how it goes for you!!!! Keep us posted!

maestramommy
07-15-2010, 10:22 PM
Can you tell me what parts bc/water and what parts acv/water you used? I did the bc thing but just mixed it into a paste in the shower. I didn't use the acv rinse. But maybe I should. I went back to shampoo because it seemed like the bc wasn't getting my hair clean enough. It felt all matted and dreadlock like. I tried washing my hair with conditioner, and that actually worked a little better. But neither really solved my original problem/reason for going no poo, which was my itchy scalp. I am currently using Aveeno baby shampoo and Suave conditioner while I ponder my next step.

twowhat?
07-15-2010, 10:32 PM
That's so funny - I JUST tried this tonight! I didn't measure anything, just mixed some baking soda with water. And I didn't try the vinegar rinse this time, just put a bit of regular conditioner on the ends. My hair actually feels just as clean as if I had used shampoo...but I remain skeptical until longer follow-up times are met.

SunCB
07-15-2010, 10:47 PM
For the most part I was no poo for awhile just water but every now and again I felt lie I had to really wash it bc I was not happy with the way it felt/smelled/looked. For me, I started pretty slowly since I poo'd every day. Started with every other day then 3rd, 4th etc with just water the other days. I would do each for a few months. Now, since we moved to the south and it gets so much HOTTER here during the summer and I really have been WO too I have tended to poo more often. Maybe if I did a baking soda wash and vinegar rinse I would not.

MamaKath
07-16-2010, 01:33 AM
I have been doing every other to every third day depending on activity for baking soda wash. The off days I "wash" it really well with water (massaging as if). It is summer so my hair is up a lot because of the heat so I am not quite as worried. I use the vinegar rinse maybe 2 times a week, I have been also using some store bought conditioner since we are swimming a lot. Too much washing, your hair will be like straw.

LarsMal
07-16-2010, 02:21 PM
Can you tell me what parts bc/water and what parts acv/water you used? I did the bc thing but just mixed it into a paste in the shower. I didn't use the acv rinse. But maybe I should. I went back to shampoo because it seemed like the bc wasn't getting my hair clean enough. It felt all matted and dreadlock like. I tried washing my hair with conditioner, and that actually worked a little better. But neither really solved my original problem/reason for going no poo, which was my itchy scalp. I am currently using Aveeno baby shampoo and Suave conditioner while I ponder my next step.

Melinda, I think of you often when trying to deal with all my itchies!! I think you should definitely try the ACV rinse, even if you continue with your regular shampoo/conditioner.

I'm giving no 'poo a try because I'm tired of my itchies and rashes that keep popping up. I'm doing my own little experiment to see if cutting out the store bought stuff (even the Whole Food "healthy" stuff I've been using is bothering me now) helps. The first thing I cut out was the shampoo. I tried a different brand, which helped my scalp, but caused my scalp, neck, and forehead to break-out...yuck! It's the DHS clear shampoo if you want to give it a shot. Gets great reviews for itchy scalp, but didn't seem to agree with my skin!

I started the ACV rinse about a month or so ago and it helped almost immediately. It's 1-2 Tablespoons of ACV to 1 cup of water. I use about 2/3 cup on my hair at a time- my hair isn't very long, but it's very thick. The bs is 1 Tablespoon baking soda to 1 cup water. I use about 1/2 cup. I put them in little squirt bottles and squirt them onto my scalp (bs/water first), massage it in, and let it sit for a minute or 2. Follow up with the acv- but not necessarily every time. I swear, my scalp is barely itching at all now. Still don't know how my hair will turn out since I've been wearing it up pretty much all summer, but at least my scalp doesn't itch!

Let me know if you try it. GL!

LarsMal
07-16-2010, 02:23 PM
Try using a drop or two of tea tree oil in with some water every couple of days when you are working out and sweating alot. There are other things you can use too including mint, vitamin e oil, etc.

Would love to hear how it goes for you!!!! Keep us posted!

Good idea- I could rotate that in so I could spread out the bs wash, but still feel like I was cleaning with something. Tea tree oil is good for the scalp, too, which would be good for me.

MamaSnoo
07-16-2010, 02:46 PM
This sounds great to me (really cheap, and enviro friendly).....I have trouble with an itchy scalp, too, and nothing has really helped me.

DD is no-poo, except for 2 x a week, and I just rinse her and condition her (CA baby) on the other days.

Does the BS/ACV method work on all hair types? I have super straight, fine-medium thickness hair.

LarsMal
07-16-2010, 02:48 PM
This sounds great to me (really cheap, and enviro friendly).....I have trouble with an itchy scalp, too, and nothing has really helped me.

DD is no-poo, except for 2 x a week, and I just rinse her and condition her (CA baby) on the other days.

Does the BS/ACV method work on all hair types? I have super straight, fine-medium thickness hair.

MamaKath posted this in another thread and it has a lot of great info.

http://babyslime.livejournal.com/174054.html

MamaSnoo
07-16-2010, 02:51 PM
Thanks, Julie!

maestramommy
07-16-2010, 03:07 PM
Melinda, I think of you often when trying to deal with all my itchies!! I think you should definitely try the ACV rinse, even if you continue with your regular shampoo/conditioner.

I'm giving no 'poo a try because I'm tired of my itchies and rashes that keep popping up. I'm doing my own little experiment to see if cutting out the store bought stuff (even the Whole Food "healthy" stuff I've been using is bothering me now) helps. The first thing I cut out was the shampoo. I tried a different brand, which helped my scalp, but caused my scalp, neck, and forehead to break-out...yuck! It's the DHS clear shampoo if you want to give it a shot. Gets great reviews for itchy scalp, but didn't seem to agree with my skin!

I started the ACV rinse about a month or so ago and it helped almost immediately. It's 1-2 Tablespoons of ACV to 1 cup of water. I use about 2/3 cup on my hair at a time- my hair isn't very long, but it's very thick. The bs is 1 Tablespoon baking soda to 1 cup water. I use about 1/2 cup. I put them in little squirt bottles and squirt them onto my scalp (bs/water first), massage it in, and let it sit for a minute or 2. Follow up with the acv- but not necessarily every time. I swear, my scalp is barely itching at all now. Still don't know how my hair will turn out since I've been wearing it up pretty much all summer, but at least my scalp doesn't itch!

Let me know if you try it. GL!

Wow, thanks! I have been doing the paste. Now you got me wondering whether too much bc is causing the matted feel. I'll definitely try the ACV rinse. I'm sure I have squirt bottles around somewhere!

Trigglet
09-12-2010, 11:40 PM
I haven't used shampoo in about 18 months. I stopped using it because I have curly hair and the sulfates and silicones were ruining it. I use conditioner to 'shampoo' my hair instead. It really works.
I would strongly recommend you take a look at this thread (even if you don't have curly hair) - these girls really know their stuff...

http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/forumdisplay.php?f=28

HTH

LarsMal
09-13-2010, 04:39 PM
Well, it's been almost 2 months and I think I finally have a system down. I went over a month without using shampoo at all. Some days were better than others, and there were several times I just wanted to grab the bottle of shampoo, but fought the urge! With the super hot and humid weather I was wearing my hair up anyway, but I got to the point that I couldn't really wear it down when I wanted to. Even if I washed and dried it, I'd have to at least pull the top back because my hair just looked/felt a little too greasy. I think our water plays a big roll in it.

I broke down and used shampoo a few weeks ago. I'm now using my free-of-everything shampoo once, maybe twice a week. I use the baking soda/water rinse a couple times a week as well. I use my regular (WF 365 brand fragrance free) conditioner whenever I clean my hair. Today I used the bs/water and then the acv/water rinse and my hair looks great! I think my hair plus our water just can't go without *any* shampoo. Doesn't hurt that I finally got a much-needed haircut with some style!

This new routine is really working for me. I'm using a lot less shampoo, my scalp doesn't itch at all, my eczema/irritated skin is well under control, and my hair looks pretty good- if I do say so myself!!

weech
09-14-2010, 11:39 AM
I haven't used shampoo in about 18 months. I stopped using it because I have curly hair and the sulfates and silicones were ruining it. I use conditioner to 'shampoo' my hair instead. It really works.
I would strongly recommend you take a look at this thread (even if you don't have curly hair) - these girls really know their stuff...

http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/forumdisplay.php?f=28

HTH

Totally unrelated: Are you really a curly girl with a 5 month old and two mini schnauzers? I think you may be my BBB twin!

Trigglet
09-15-2010, 11:53 PM
Totally unrelated: Are you really a curly girl with a 5 month old and two mini schnauzers? I think you may be my BBB twin!

:yeahthat: how funny!!! Yep, curly momma to 5 month old DS and two minis :)