PDA

View Full Version : Dear Boss,we are not your "kids"

elektra
07-16-2010, 04:26 PM
My boss who I hated at first but now have warmed up to actually, addresses her emails as "hey kids" when emailing to our entire group and it really bugs me.
All of her prior direct reports are somewhat passive younger women. She inherited me as part of a reorg. She has not actually dared to speak to me in the tone that she uses with one of the other women (sort of my counterpart) especially. I already have my calm, collected, yet WTF response planned if she ever dares.
Anways, should I say something? I really feel like I don't want to create drama over such a small thing, especially because the last person who did this is now on her **** list and I don't want to create a problem for myself.
But hello? "Kids"????

sste
07-16-2010, 04:50 PM
Would writing back, "Hey Mama" or "No problem Mama" be too rude? I would be tempted!!Of course, if she is really so far gone she may not mind being addressed that way.

Perhaps a better tact would be too keep all your emails very professional, short, and formal and use formal titles (e.g., you could use her last name or you could use her first name but then comma or underneath use her title). And always sign with your full name and title. Maybe that is a better way to hint!

twowhat?
07-16-2010, 04:59 PM
I would politely ignore and keep all of your correspondence with her (both in person and over email/phone) professional.

hillview
07-16-2010, 05:00 PM
Ignore it. People are strange.
/hillary

arivecchi
07-16-2010, 05:01 PM
I dunno. I would not say anything if it has the potential to damage your relationship with your boss. It seems pretty minor. If it really drives you bonkers though, maybe you can jokinly say to her that you always feel like a college student when she calls you a kid or something along those lines? This is a hard one.

elektra
07-16-2010, 06:36 PM
Would writing back, "Hey Mama" or "No problem Mama" be too
She would love this! And I think it's just part of her "too cool for school, I am the mama and you are my minions" kind of thing.

She has actually been very respectful to me so far, so I'm thinking I will just not bring it up. I am also much closer to her age than the other women are, and we both have a 3 yo. I am also a more senior person in the group compared to the other girls, hierarchically.
I just think it's condescending but I should probably just continue to ignore it and go about my email responses using her first name in my replies.

Working with so many chicks can take so much effort sometimes.

khm
07-16-2010, 06:52 PM
I have a boss that does this. Bringing it to her attention would be a bad bad very bad thing. I honestly cannot even imagine!

If she keeps a s***list, I'd try my best to stay off of it.

Probably not what you wanna hear.....

maylips
07-16-2010, 07:31 PM
It's probably her passive aggressive way of reminding you that she's your boss.

Keep it professional and remember that everyone reads emails differently, so if you ever decide to respond, do it verbally so the meaning is clear and can't be forwarded on or reread when she's really pissy. :)

twowhat?
07-16-2010, 10:46 PM
Working with so many chicks can take so much effort sometimes.

I hear ya. My office is 95% female. It's a cat eat cat world. The best course of action is to stay out of it, do your job, act like you care about your job (bonus if you actually do), and take your paycheck home so you can be with your kids:)

Kestrel
07-17-2010, 04:31 PM
I might remark that I had to occasionally forward email to others, and "kids" didn't look professional?

wellyes
07-17-2010, 05:01 PM
I think it sounds sexist - in the same way that some people refer to adult women as "girls" but no one ever refers to adult men as "boys".

I might tell her so, for her own good.

ewpmsw
07-18-2010, 03:22 PM
I would politely ignore and keep all of your correspondence with her (both in person and over email/phone) professional.
:yeahthat: Calling everyone "kids" is diminutive, but maybe she think's it's endearing. My mom has always called the employees in her department her "girls", even though they're all 40-65 years old for the most part. I think they put up with it because it's not worth the effort to argue with the boss.

infomama
07-20-2010, 12:48 PM
I had a boss that used to call us kids. He had since passed but in my situation he really did view us as his family. It bothered all of us but we never addressed it...just ignored it. In your case I would probably ask her point blank the next time I was face to face with her why she does that. I may say,"could you help me understand why you address me as "kid", and see what she says.

BabyMine
07-20-2010, 01:48 PM
:yeahthat: Calling everyone "kids" is diminutive, but maybe she think's it's endearing. My mom has always called the employees in her department her "girls", even though they're all 40-65 years old for the most part. I think they put up with it because it's not worth the effort to argue with the boss.

:yeahthat: I don't think she is doing it as a mean spiritated. DH's old boss use to call everyone his peeps. The were all around the same age though.

She might be doing it lighten the work atmosphere.