PDA

View Full Version : Is it ok to admit that I don't like my new car?

SnuggleBuggles
07-16-2010, 05:17 PM
I have wanted this car forever because it's not big but can carry 6 people. That is honestly why I bought it...plus lots of people IRL like it. My problem is that I finally got this car and my other car is 11yo. I wanted something nice, new and better than what I had before. The Mazda5 is a step *down* from my Civic, I feel like. How can an 11yo car be better than a new one? My Civic has nicer seats, better storage, a better sound system (and it is just the factory installed, most basic model) and just feels better. The new car just kind of feels basic (that's the best word I can come up with). After waiting so long for a new car it should be better than what I had. I know that sounds childish. I so wish that there had been another car like it out there so I could have compared and been able to make an informed choice. I wish I had done the Accord now though the 1st time ds1 wants me to take 2 of his friends somewhere I guess I'll be glad I bought this one. Plus, the Accord probably wouldn't have fit in my tiny 1920's garage. :)

Every time I get in this car I just feel let down and want to go and drive my Civic instead. At least it wasn't all that expensive in the scheme of new cars so we didn't waste a whole lot. We'll still keep it and use it for years to come. I just wish I liked it better.

Beth

hillview
07-16-2010, 05:19 PM
That is how I felt about my Subaru. Good news is that it has grown on me. So sorry you are feeling "fine" about it vs excited!
/hillary

arivecchi
07-16-2010, 05:30 PM
Oh no. :( That stinks. Hope it grows on you.

LarsMal
07-16-2010, 05:57 PM
Oh no- that's too bad. I know that feeling...except it's how I feel about my HOUSE!

liz
07-16-2010, 06:09 PM
Oh, no! I love the way your new car looks! It's good to have 2 different kind of vehicles, for the reasons you described. You will love your new car once you have to transport a bulky item, the next time you make a huge grocery run, when you are picking up friends for your DC. Don't look at the car as being cheaply made. Look at like a highly functional people mover. Seriously, you picked a really nice car! zoom-zoom!

belovedgandp
07-16-2010, 06:16 PM
So sorry. I mourned not driving my Civic too. I did for 10 years before getting my Odyssey.

DH started driving my Civic and we just sold it to get a Mazda5 two weeks ago. I was sad to see the Civic go. DH is having fun with the newer car. I like it; not as much as he does, but that's probably OK since it's "his."

I do think Honda "trains" their customers to like the options at the different levels. There were so many things I liked about the Sienna, but ended up with the Odyssey because the option levels made more sense to me and it just felt more comfortable and familiar to me (controls, seats, etc) after having a Civic and two different Accords in the past. The Mazda5 is our first non-Honda vehicle in over 10 years.

elektra
07-16-2010, 06:28 PM
Choosing a car is such an emotional journey! I hope it grows on you too. Try to remember why you got together in the first place.

HonoluluMom
07-16-2010, 06:40 PM
Sorry you're not enjoying your new car!

When I got pregnant, I had to get rid of my 2-door sports car and got a luxury sedan instead. The sedan is "better" - more safety features, leather, power everything, nifty gadgets, etc. In the beginning I really missed my flashy red sports car with its throaty rumble, but after driving it for a while, the "boring" 4-door sedan really has grown on me. There is more space (interior and trunk), it's a smoother ride, and I feel it has very good safety features.

It may take you a while, but I hope your new car grows on you! Just keep in mind the two cars are different and there are probably a lot of good things about your new car, you just need time to discover them!

niccig
07-16-2010, 08:39 PM
The first carpool with FOUR kids and you'll be loving the car. I wanted a Mazda 5, but with only one DC, it was still too much car for me. I want sliding doors on a car.

MomToOne
07-16-2010, 08:43 PM
I have buyer's remorse with every car I get. Each one has been an upgrade from the next and each one I mourned my last one and regretted giving it up totally forgetting the stuff wrong with each of them. They do grow on you. It just becomes your car and you don't think about it as much. But I'm sorry you're not in love with it

trales
07-16-2010, 08:49 PM
I hear you, my 12 year old accord is so much nicer than our 3 year old Subaru, it was a huge let down. It has really grown on me though. I still like driving our Accord better for long distances, nice seats etc. But the space in the Subaru is nice.

You will love it the first time you use it for its intended purpose.