PDA

View Full Version : Pampers Dry Max question

happymom
07-18-2010, 11:18 PM
We have been using Huggies pretty happily for about a year. For no real reason, we decided to try out Pampers next time we bought diapers. So DH bought a box of Pampers, and I see it says DRY MAX on the box. Bells go off in my head...I remember noticing some threads about Dry Max on here, but I didnt pay much attention at the time since we were loyal Huggies users. Anyways, I just searched for the old threads and I'm horrified of course. Am I missing something? If these dipes are actually causing chemical burns on some babies tushies, why in the world would they not be recalled?? Someone care to explain this to me?

Thanks.

citymama
07-18-2010, 11:37 PM
Pampers is claiming the dipes are safe. And that the complaints are circumstantial, not demonstrating causality. And that Dry Max is the greatest thing since sliced bread!

I think parents on this board have had differing experienced with DM. Some have noticed irritation, some say they've had no problems. We had one box with DM right around the time of the initial hullabaloo, and though we had no problems at all with the dipes, I've avoided buying Pampers with DM - we do Swaddlers Sensitive without DM. I think they should pull them off the market, but I guess like Toyota, they will resist doing so since it would seem like an admission of guilt.

Melbel
07-18-2010, 11:54 PM
Pampers had completely denied there is a problem, but has instead blamed the parents and has completely disregarded the medical opinions of treating pediatricians (not a good PR move IMO). Our pediatrician definitely thinks there is a causal connection. We did not have problems with rashes, but found that the new diapers leaked horribly. We have been trying different diapers, including Pampers Sensitive. Unfortunately, Size 4 Pampers Sensitive diapers have DryMax, but they do not seem to have the same leaking problem because they are thicker.

As for the latest...

A lawsuit has been filed seeking class certification: http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSN1316471620100513

The CSPC is investigating: http://www.nbcconnecticut.com/news/Parents-Claim-Skin-Rashes-Linked-To-DryMax-Diapers-93176669.html

A great overview and assessment by Dr. Z: http://www.zrecommends.com/detail/a-warning-about-pampers-dry-max-diapers

Kitten007
07-19-2010, 08:25 AM
I was one of the users that didn't have serious problems with the Dry Max. That being said, since I believe in the parents more than a company...I think they should be recalled. I unfortunately have a few boxes that I didn't return in time so I have been using Huggies mainly and a Pampers Dry Max every now and then, but it scares me to even use those Dry Max diapers. I have noticed every now and then my boys get a little red (which if I put a Dry Max on, I watch them like a hawk) and I immediately switch back into a Huggies. I am praying they are recalled so I can get my money back.

I am also switching everything from Pampers (wipes and diapers) to any other brand. I noticed a decline in their quality of Sensitive wipes. I used to be able to pull hard on those wipes and they would never rip. Well I gave one for DS2 to play with while changing him and he tore it up in no time. Well I tested it and BAM! ripped right into pieces. I thought Pampers used to be known for quality products, but since Pampers is so expensive and has become cheap IMO, I am looking for better alternatives and sadly have to say that Pampers has lost me as a customer.

So after all my rambling....I am frustrated and hope the CPSC finds something and there is a recall. Until then, I am stuck with a few boxes of the Dry Max diapers and going with Huggies, but need to try Costco's diapers.

c&j04
07-20-2010, 08:11 AM
I have a box of Swaddlers with Dry Max and honestly can't tell the difference between those and the 3 boxes I bought before Dry Max was available. I really wonder what was in my first boxes! I'm also being super watchful and alternating every other diaper between that and baby dry.
In the last article linked above, it seemed to me that all the negative reports were linked to 2 lot numbers. Did I misread?
Anyway, I switched to Baby Dry. Huggies aren't an option on DS!

barkley1
07-22-2010, 11:03 AM
We've always used Pampers w/ no problem. In 12 months, the only rash DS had was when he did a tiny poop that didn't even smell and it was on him for an hour or so before we changed him. It was gone in about a week. The only pampers complaint I have is their nighttime diapers - TOTALLY didn't work for DS, so we switched to Huggies Overnights. But, I called Pampers to complain (since I had bought a box of 64) and they sent me 2 coupons for $10 off.

JBsmom
07-23-2010, 08:55 AM
I have read that Pampers had Dry Max n the diapers before they were labeled with it. Any idea how long the pampers have had dry max? I don't know if it is worth trying to stock up on "old" diapers or not....