PDA

View Full Version : Leapster?

vonfirmath
07-19-2010, 08:18 AM
Anyone have experience with Leapster for their 3 year old?

A friend just got one for her 3 year old for his birthday and I'm wondering if I was putting off considering it for no reason.

Melaine
07-19-2010, 08:20 AM
We got them for the girls for their 3rd birthday too. Only because I found a great deal ($18 clearance at Kmart). They have used them a bit but I hadn't given them any games. They will be getting a princess game today for our beach trip, so we'll see how those go over. Until now, they have just played with the drawing game that comes with it, which they do enjoy.

hellokitty
07-19-2010, 10:08 AM
Both of my boys have leapsters and my opinion is that they really aren't ready to use them until they are closer to 4 yrs old. If I were you, I'd keep my eyes perked up for a deal on one and some games, get it when the price is good and then give it as a gift when your child is 4.

kochh2
07-20-2010, 08:34 PM
ITA, hellokitty... DS is almost 6 and still has a lot of play value in his, too... he wants a DS, but I am holding off hopefully another year.... i love when he tells me something educational that he learned from his leapster LOL!!

YMMV, but there are often super cheap games at marshalls and maxx!!

alien_host
07-20-2010, 08:39 PM
I agree with PPs that 4 is a better age. DD got hers at 4 and was still frustrated w/ some games. At 5 she is really good at it.

I haven't looked for games at TJs or Marshalls, thx foe the tip!

hillview
07-20-2010, 09:30 PM
When DS1 was almost 5 he was still not that into it so I'd hold off.
/hillary

christiedavid3
07-21-2010, 10:24 AM
My DS is almost 3 and I got a Leapster original on super sale a few months ago. It holds his interest for a few minutes, but not long. He plays with the coloring game, and the rabbit hopping game (don't know the real name. lol). The games are really above his ability, but he does enjoy it some.

vonfirmath
07-21-2010, 11:17 AM
I've decided to hold off for now. Look at getting the Tag instead.

(I buy SO many Leapfrogs...)

HIU8
07-21-2010, 12:06 PM
Got DD a Leapster for her 3rd bday in June. She loves it. She has one game. She can now recognize numbers 1-10 and most of her letters. She had always wanted to play DS's (he didn't start using his until age 5. He had a hard time with the fine motor skills it takes to do the buttons properly etc...>). DD picked it up on the first try. She draws on it and does the game we got her. BUt, I think she took to it better b/c DS was using his already.