PDA

View Full Version : glucose test ?

brgnmom
07-20-2010, 12:43 PM
I went to my first appointment with my new OB earlier this month, and the OB said I could take a fasting glucose test (instead of having to drink the solution beforehand) in early August. I tested negative for gestational diabetes for my first pregnancy, and as a result, the OB gave me this option of not eating anything after midnight (only drinking water), and having my appointment first thing at 7:30 am the next morning to get my blood drawn. Would you take this fasting option, or opt for drinking the solution beforehand and not fast?

Thank you!

swissair81
07-20-2010, 12:50 PM
Do you get dizzy when you fast?

WolfpackMom
07-20-2010, 12:53 PM
I would totally go for the non-drinking option, I have bad memories. That stuff made me feel terrible and it took everything in me not to throw up and have to start over. I would probably do anything they asked of me to not have to drink it again...lol

swissair81
07-20-2010, 12:55 PM
Or you could do what I did. I did a jellybean test. There was a NIH study showing that there was no difference in the results. 28 jellybeans vs glucola & jellybeans win every time.

brgnmom
07-20-2010, 01:06 PM
Do you get dizzy when you fast?

I think I would --well I know that I need to eat every few hours now, otherwise I feel light-headed from the low blood sugar level. Would eating a small protein early morning snack ruin the results? I should probably call the OB office... I think I may be able to handle the 7 or 8-hour overnight fast if I can sneak in a small protein shake or something.

brgnmom
07-20-2010, 01:07 PM
Or you could do what I did. I did a jellybean test. There was a NIH study showing that there was no difference in the results. 28 jellybeans vs glucola & jellybeans win every time.

ooh thank you for the reminder! I remember your thread now about the jellybeans, in place of the glucola, to test glucose tolerance.

swissair81
07-20-2010, 01:11 PM
I think I would --well I know that I need to eat every few hours now, otherwise I feel light-headed from the low blood sugar level. Would eating a small protein early morning snack ruin the results? I should probably call the OB office... I think I may be able to handle the 7 or 8-hour overnight fast if I can sneak in a small protein shake or something.

Fasting blood sugar usually has to be on a completely empty stomach. The range for normal of FBS is quite different than for the non-fasting GTT. If you think it will be a problem, have someone drive you.

swissair81
07-20-2010, 01:12 PM
ooh thank you for the reminder! I remember your thread now about the jellybeans, in place of the glucola, to test glucose tolerance.

Hey, no problem. No need to suffer, if you can have junk food instead.

Badi Bahu
07-23-2010, 09:10 AM
I so very deeply want to eat jellybeans instead of drinking the yucky orange sugar drink.