PDA

View Full Version : Help ... my lasagne didnt turn out quite right

slworld
07-20-2010, 02:20 PM
I tried the recipe suggested on this thread - http://www.windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=364117 (Easy/favorite lasagna recipe?)

http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2007/06/the_best_lasagn/

except I tried using the Barilla no boil noodles & used ground turkey. I made half the quantity and distributed it in 2 8x8 pans. So basically 4 noddles (there was overlap) in each pan and layered on it. I totally forgot I was using no boil noddles and instead of following the baking temp/times on the box (375deg for 50-60min), I used the ones in the receipe (350deg for 30min). Of course when I took it out & dug into it the noddles were still raw. I put it back in the oven at 375deg for another 30min. Well the noodles at the bottom were still raw. I have another 8x8 pan in the freezer but I am not sure the 375deg for 60min will work. Am I not supposed to have any overlap? Was my pan too small? Any suggestions on how I can get the next batch to bake properly.

Thanks much

ETA - I did assemble it in the morning and baked it for dinner hoping that would soften the noodles. Was there maybe not enough sauce?

jerigirl
07-20-2010, 05:55 PM
Try either more sauce or prep the NIGHT before and bake for dinner. That way the noodles will soften overnight.

alexsmommy
07-21-2010, 12:27 PM
Honestly, even with no boil noodles, I tend to boil fow a few minutes, like 3-4. Otherwise, make sure you put a liberal amount of sauce under or directly on top of noodles.

boolady
07-21-2010, 02:08 PM
I have never been a huge fan of how the no-boil noodles turn out, at least when I make lasagna. My favorite recipe is a Barefoot Contessa recipe where you use regular noodles, but you don't boil them....you let them sit in really hot water for a while, then put into the lasagna as you're layering. Maybe you could let your noodles sit for a while in hot water to soften?

jerigirl
07-21-2010, 02:17 PM
I have never been a huge fan of how the no-boil noodles turn out, at least when I make lasagna. My favorite recipe is a Barefoot Contessa recipe where you use regular noodles, but you don't boil them....you let them sit in really hot water for a while, then put into the lasagna as you're layering. Maybe you could let your noodles sit for a while in hot water to soften? I have done this too when making a lasagna with short notice. But I personally think it tastes better (the flavors mix in) when prepping ahead overnight.

pastrygirl
07-21-2010, 05:45 PM
I bake with those exact noodles every time and it comes out perfectly. The only things I can think of are that I bake mine covered with foil, following the baking instructions on the box, and I make sure there is enough sauce covering the noodles. There shouldn't be any naked noodle visible in any layer. I think the steam from baking it covered helps cook the noodles. I haven't tried that recipe, though. I use cooks illustrated bolognese sauce and follow the Barilla directions for the cheese and layering (without any jarred sauce).

zoestargrove
07-21-2010, 05:55 PM
did you put sauce into the very bottom before the noodles? If not, that will also help. Like everyone said, you have to drench the no cook noodles in sauce so they soften.