PDA

View Full Version : Birth Positions for Bad back

marymoo86
07-21-2010, 01:42 PM
Just got the clearance from my ortho that I can deliver vaginally and will not need a c-section - which is good news. Have been relatively pain-free for the past 2 years although now that the belly is getting bigger, the burning and tinglinng are reappearing in my feet. Can't complain b/c that has been the biggest issue so far.

I have been doing some reading on various birth positions. I had no idea there was more that just the standard flat back, knees up one. I would like to avoid this as it seems it would put unnecessary strain on my lower back.

Does anyone have experience with other positions (side, kneeling w/bar, etc) that could give me insight or have any links to share with good info?

I liked to be prepared (as much as possible) with as much info to help make decisions or to discuss with the OB.

Thanks!!

swissair81
07-21-2010, 01:53 PM
What kind of back problems? I have terrible kyphosis. I would have them put the back of the bed all the way up & you can kneel while holding onto the back of the bed. You could also do hands & knees, but that will put more strain on your back, I think. Either of those positions also make it easier to push the baby out for anyone. You could also ask for a squat bar at the end of the bed, but you need fairly strong legs & it may not be so easy when you are tired after a full labor.

SnuggleBuggles
07-21-2010, 01:56 PM
The worst possible birth position is the one that we all know from TV and that most women are subjected to. Luckily I had read ahead of time about my options before ds1 since they don't really go out of their way to tell expectant moms, especially those without epidurals, that they have choices. I did side lying with ds1 because it felt the most comfortable. With ds2 I did hands and knees and side lying.

Even if you choose to have an epidural you aren't limited to that one position. YOu can elect to have the bed back raised so you are sitting rather than laying down. You can have the meds turned off or lowered so you can try a supported squat too.

3 good links:
http://www.storknet.com/cubbies/childbirth/pushingpositions.htm
http://transitiontoparenthood.com/ttp/parented/pain/positions.htm
http://www.obgyn.net/displayarticle.asp?page=/women/articles/reviews/review007

A pregnancy book by Dr. Sears, Ina May Gaskin, Sheila Kitzinger or Penny Simkin should also be good references.

HTH,
Beth

marymoo86
07-21-2010, 01:58 PM
I had a discketomy and laminectomy on my L5-S1 - lucky me had it rupture twice which resulted in deading of the sciatic nerve in my left foot. The disk above is also degenerative and I have arthritis. Love genetics :)

Just want to minimize the pressure and make it easier on my back if possible.

BabyBearsMom
07-21-2010, 02:55 PM
Are you planning on having an epidural? If so, you won't be able to do any standing or squatting positions and will be stuck in you bed.

marymoo86
07-21-2010, 03:31 PM
I am a FTM so not sure what I am in for - my plan is to not have an epidural but if the pain is too great I won't rule it out. Guess it will depend on the length of labor and my pain threshold.

AbbysMom
07-21-2010, 03:39 PM
My back isn't as bad as yours but I had a herniated disc in the same spot 2 years before I gave birth. Spent over a year barely moving, in PT, did pilates etc. I worked out through the whole pregnancy. Walked as much as I could before the epidural and was 7 cm when they did it. It was about 5-6 hours before I gave birth and had no resulting back pain from delivery. Just wanted to tell you that I was VERY nervous to give birth because of my back, met with anasthesia at 20 weeks to make sure I could get the epidural, and was SO happy that it didn't hurt my back. I had a very traditional birth in a hospital on my back. So hope for the best!

SnuggleBuggles
07-21-2010, 05:48 PM
Did they say aboything about not recommending an epidural? I have chatted with moms with back issues who have been told to forgo the epidural b/c there is a risk of getting into a bad position and not feeling it at the time to know you are damaging things more. These women that I talked to said that to be on the safe side they were supposed to go w/o anything that would numb them up too much to be alert for problems.

Beth

marymoo86
07-22-2010, 08:15 AM
No advice one way or another about the epidural. Guess when the time comes I will have to see how things are going. Some may beg to differ but I can't imagine the nerve pain I endured with my pain being less painful than a contraction. Felt like I was being electrocuted!

I have been doing well with the pregnancy and my back until the past couple of days. I am guessing the baby is moving against my sciatic nerve as I am getting the feet tingles during the day and burning sensation at night. Uncomfortable but keeping my feet elevated seems to help.