PDA

View Full Version : Help with planning TS meals

caribbeanmama
07-21-2010, 06:18 PM
Hi all,
Please bear with me...you guessed it, more questions :waving4: DH insisted we try the Plus Dining Plan. I definitely would like to include Character meals. We will be on site at the Polynesian for 5 days, 8/1 - 8/5. So far, I have 2 character meals scheduled:

8/1 Character Dinner at Garden Grill
8/2 open
8/3 open
8/4 open, but *very* tentatively have scheduled a dinner with grandparents
8/5 Character bfst at Crystal Palace

Would like to include a night alone dinner with DH. Any recs for a romantic spot?

Also, if we did another character meal (or two more) would that be just too many? I think my kids would be able to handle four (especially breakfasts), but what do you think? Am I nuts to do that many character meals? TIA

ETA: I was thinking Ohana for character bkfst since we'll be at the Poly.

alien_host
07-21-2010, 06:28 PM
We were at BLT and we really enjoyed the California Grill. It's fine to bring kids there but it also would be an awesome night sans kids. It takes 2 TS credits but the food was really good and the view can't be beat. You can also try to get an ADR around the time for Wishes.

The Wave at the Contemporary was also one of our faves...no characters though.

For a nearby character meal we enjoyed 1900 Park Fare at the Grand Floridian for dinner (Cinderella's Happily Ever After Dinner or something like that)....Cinderella, Prince Charming, Step sisters and Evil Step Mother.

hillview
07-21-2010, 06:29 PM
Ohana rocks for breakfast

I like Crystal Palace (like you have), The Wave at Epcot (no characters but good food), princesses at Epcot or Castle at MK, Liberty Tree was actually very good.
/hillary

alien_host
07-21-2010, 06:34 PM
Do you know which parks you are going to and on which days? Or do you have Park Hopper? That would help in figuring out meals at the park.

Also, if we did another character meal (or two more) would that be just too many? I think my kids would be able to handle four (especially breakfasts), but what do you think? Am I nuts to do that many character meals? TIA

We were there 6 nights and had 3 character meals. I thought we could probably manage one more...DD could but DH maybe not so much. ;)

I forgot, Chef Mickey's at the Contemporary would be easy for you to get to and I thought breakfast was fine...good character interaction. Food was OK. If you want to see Mickey, Goofy, Minnie, Donald and Pluto at one place it works great.

hillview
07-21-2010, 06:36 PM
I agree with Alien -- the wave is good and fun too
/hillary

caribbeanmama
07-21-2010, 06:41 PM
Thanks ladies! No park hopper, but we will spend the first two days at MK. I sooooo would like to do the Park Fare character dinner, but the only time available is 8:30 pm.

alien_host
07-21-2010, 06:51 PM
Thanks ladies! No park hopper, but we will spend the first two days at MK. I sooooo would like to do the Park Fare character dinner, but the only time available is 8:30 pm.

Isn't the Garden Grill at Epcot? Maybe you have the dates mixed up above...is Day 1 your arrival day and you are going to Epcot?

That's too bad about Park Fare....keep checking though, maybe there will be a cancellation.

caribbeanmama
07-21-2010, 07:07 PM
Isn't the Garden Grill at Epcot? Maybe you have the dates mixed up above...is Day 1 your arrival day and you are going to Epcot?

That's too bad about Park Fare....keep checking though, maybe there will be a cancellation.

A huge thanks for pointing that out. I am still trying to figure all these things out as the "World" is a big place to tackle ;) So I guess we will have to reassess dinner for 8/1.

DietCokeLover
07-21-2010, 07:41 PM
We enjoyed breakfast at Hollywood and Vine (playhouse Disney characters) at HS.

hillview
07-21-2010, 08:23 PM
We enjoyed breakfast at Hollywood and Vine (playhouse Disney characters) at HS.

Yes us too!
/hillary

clc053103
07-21-2010, 08:23 PM
We aren't fans of character breakfasts in general- we do one if the kids request it. Chef Mickeys has the Fab Five, ok food. May sound like a silly question but do your kids really like characters- not all kids do- some are terrified and a character meal is actually an act of torture! LOL! If they are really into the characters, collect autographs, etc, then sure, have 3 or 4 breakfasts with different characters. But if they are luke warm on them, I'd limit it to 1 or 2 as you get better food at other places.

I second- oops third- the reccs for The Wave and Cali Grill. An idea for a romantic dinner for two is Citrico's at Grand Floridian-it's 2 TS. We took kids there and it was fine but it really has a more formal atmosphere than more of the nicer Disney restaurants, it's not crowded, and you can see the fireworks too.

Not a character meal, but we enjoyed Ohana for dinner. Also at poly, we love breakfast at Kona Cafe. Not a character meal. but the food is fantastic.

fivi2
07-21-2010, 09:55 PM
Tusker House (at Animal Kingdom, breakfast only) is our favorite character meal.

egoldber
07-21-2010, 10:03 PM
These meals eat up a lot of time. For breakfasts, I would only do them at your hotel first thing or in the park you plan to be in that day, first seating (usually right around 8).