PDA

View Full Version : Totally lost!! Where to begin? What to read?

sewarsh
07-22-2010, 10:39 PM
I've been to www.disboards.com, but are there any recommended magazines/books, etc. that i should get to help us with our 1st trip to DW?

I'm so overwhelmed! We're going in Nov and just heard that people make dinner reservations 180 days in advance!! UM, MISSED the boat there.

I'm a total research dork and I don't even know where to begin!

HELP!

egoldber
07-23-2010, 06:51 AM
If you have the dining plan, then you do need to make reservations ASAP.

For me, I always make a spreadsheet. :o

I put the week in a grid. For each day we will be there I put...

1) Park hours that day for each park
2) I note any early opening or late closing days
3) I note the times for parades, fireworks, etc.

Based on the above, I lay out a tentative plan. So for example, when we go, we want to see each fireworks show, so I think about which park days to do when to make that happen. This is most important at the MK, because not all parades and firework shows occur every day.

Then based on that, I think about dining reservations. My kids have been many times, so they have favorites. We do NOT get the dining plan, so I don't need to plan a sit down meal every day which simplifies things. I usually plan....

1) 1 princess meal
2) 1 non-princess character meal
3) 1 non-character meal

But that's all we do for pre-planned meals. We typically eat off-site at least once and order Domino's to the room at least once. (WDW will not volunteer this info, but if you ask at the desk they will give the number of the local Dominos and Papa Johns that deliver to your WDW resort.)

I also have general plan for each day, but that is mainly in my head. I also plan for a mid-week break spent hanging out at the hotel or at a water park. I also leave an "open" day at the end of the week. We spend the last day going around doing "favorites" and seeing whatever the kids want. We will sometimes hit 3 parks in one day that day. :)

ETA: The disboards are overwhelming. But they are also HIGHLY repetitive. I would recommend reading/scanning them for about 1-2 weeks. The same topics come up over and over again and that 1-2 weeks should give you the info you need.

I also like allears.net for research. It gives me most of the high level info I need. Also, read the "rehabs and closures" section, so I know what attractions will not be open when we go. My kids have favs, so I generally need to prep them if a favorite attraction will be closed while we are there.

sewarsh
07-23-2010, 08:49 AM
Thank you so much Beth. This is so helpful. Really. Is there any literature I should get to review or did you just do all your research on the sites you mentioned and the disneyworld website?

That's kinda the issue...I don't know what's at each park, let alone what parks there are! Literally I'm CLUELESS! :)

hillview
07-23-2010, 08:59 AM
100% what Beth said :)

I also do a spreadsheet (I think Beth responded to me on that which is why I do it). In my spreadsheet I have what Beth says plus a row for every meal so it looks like this:

July 23 -- MK
Breakfast
Lunch
Dinner

I have were we are planning to eat, if it is open I note some ideas based on disboards, research (so counter service ideas etc) or my reservation place and confirmation number. Also the location (in the park, at the Contempory etc) and if needed, how to best get there ("take monorail") and the time if it is a reservation.

I have a comments section for any random notes. I also used ridemax to get a sense of what rides to do when. I don't think it is a must but I like things like that. I did a fair amount of looking up rides to see what would be good for DSs etc.
/hillary

egoldber
07-23-2010, 09:13 AM
Maybe start here? http://allears.net/pl/planning.htm

And this will tell you what is in each park: http://allears.net/tp/themeparks.htm

fivi2
07-23-2010, 09:19 AM
As far as books go, I liked the Unofficial Guide to WDW (either the with kids or regular version). I would just see what your library has though. Any of the books will help you get a handle on things. The Unofficial Guide has touring plan suggestions in the back also. After reading through the book, the sites like the disboards were more accessible for me.

The pps are the disney experts though! When in Nov are you going? Thanksgiving will be packed, but we went a week or two before thanksgiving one year, and it was not at all crowded and very pleasant.

alien_host
07-23-2010, 09:20 AM
I also made a similar spreadsheet to what Beth mentioned, it is very helpful.

If you want a book The Unofficial Guide is great. It's a bit bulky (lots of info on resorts/lodging so you can skip reading that part if you know where you are staying) but I found the info to be helpful. I read that first then went to disboards. http://www.amazon.com/Unofficial-Guide-Disney-World-Guides/dp/0470460261/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1279891138&sr=8-1

I got mine at Borders with a 40% off coupon. You could check your library too.

ITA with Beth, disboards is very overwhelming if you don't have a sense of what you are looking for.

billysmommy
07-23-2010, 09:24 AM
The Unofficial Guide and Birnbaum's Guide to Walt Disney World are both great. It gives lots of info, tips, etc on all the parks, attractions, resorts, dining, photopass, etc without being too wordy. It has great pics too.

TwinFoxes
07-23-2010, 09:39 AM
If you are a book person I highly recommend "The Unofficial Guide to Disneyworld". Lots of good advice that seems unbiased. Have fun!

ETA: I think the Birnbaum book pp recommends is the OFFICIAL guide. Lots of info, and not a negative word to be found. Even restaurants that are pretty universally panned get rosy descriptions.

billysmommy
07-23-2010, 09:50 AM
If you are a book person I highly recommend "The Unofficial Guide to Disneyworld". Lots of good advice that seems unbiased. Have fun!

ETA: I think the Birnbaum book pp recommends is the OFFICIAL guide. Lots of info, and not a negative word to be found. Even restaurants that are pretty universally panned get rosy descriptions.

You're right :). I forgot to put the "and" in there. I've used them both and do like the Unofficial Guide better for planning. I bring the Birnbaum's guide with us and the boys love to look at it on the plane....the pictures and attraction descriptions are great.

DebbieJ
07-23-2010, 10:06 AM
Another vote for the Unofficial Guide. We went in June, used their touring plans, and they were spot on.

bnme
07-23-2010, 05:14 PM
I like Birnbaums guide. It is an easy read. Or allears.net, like pp mentioned. Just go through each park and the rides etc. I also do a spread sheet with park & parade hours, etc.