PDA

View Full Version : Sore crotch at 27 weeks?

ourbabygirl
07-22-2010, 11:42 PM
Just wondering if this is happening/ happened to anyone else here? I remember it happening with DD but it seemed like it might have started later, or more after taking more vigorous daily walks with our dog.

Is there anything I should be worried about? I have a dr.'s appt. on Tuesday, so I can ask him, too. It's not like I'm really exercising (it's too hot and I get too tired to take stroller walks with DD), or doing anything that would cause it to be sore, other than keeping up with my toddler (I'm a SAHM). But it's sore when I get up from laying down in the evening, middle of the night (to go to the bathroom), and when I get up for the day.

Any thoughts?

TIA!

Badi Bahu
07-23-2010, 09:01 AM
That definitely sounds like round ligament pain. I'm closing in on 27 weeks myself here, and I've been experiencing the pain for months, but I understand that the time for onset can vary widely. It's just more painful ligament wonderfulness from everything down their stretching and moving around. My soreness depends a lot on how active I am in a day (I need just the right amount of activity), and I think there's no escaping the night and morning ligament pain. If your body has been "cold" and not moving, that ligament gets used to not having to do anything. And it can be *very* slow about responding to your need to move. I find that the only real way to mitigate the discomfort is to be aware of it, and to get out of bed slowly in the morning, put both my feet on the ground before standing, and then take a pause before actually walking. That helps a lot. When I change positions in bed at night, I also have to do that slowly and cautiously. You get used to it.

You should still talk about it with your doctor, but I'd bet dollars to donuts that's what it is.

swissair81
07-23-2010, 09:07 AM
Round ligament pain would not be in your crotch. The ligaments are attached to the sides of your pelvic girdle.

What it could be is SPD or pubis symphysis dysfunction. It starts acting up when your pelvis starts relaxing & your pubis symphysis separates. It will act up more when you lift or are more active physically. It may even bother you doing things like getting out of bed or bending down. If it's that & you discuss it with your doctor, he/she will prescribe Physical Therapy if you want.

Badi Bahu
07-23-2010, 09:11 AM
I beg to differ about it potentially being round ligament pain: http://www.americanpregnancy.org/pregnancyhealth/roundligament.htm

My sister and I both had round ligament pain, and we both experienced it most acutely in the groin.

swissair81
07-23-2010, 09:17 AM
That link says SOME women EVEN experience it in the groin. That means it isn't very common. Regardless, she should definitely check with her doctor.

Actually, maybe your crotch pain is this: http://www.birthsource.com/scripts/article.asp?articleid=189. It certainly sounds like it.

lmh2402
07-23-2010, 09:29 AM
What it could be is SPD or pubis symphysis dysfunction. It starts acting up when your pelvis starts relaxing & your pubis symphysis separates. It will act up more when you lift or are more active physically. It may even bother you doing things like getting out of bed or bending down. If it's that & you discuss it with your doctor, he/she will prescribe Physical Therapy if you want.

:yeahthat:

would be my bet

i actually had pain from lifting one leg at a time to put on pants

it can be extremely painful. get a script for PT!!

sste
07-23-2010, 09:40 AM
I think (??) I had something similar . . . not sure about crotch but very low, certainly in the region.

My OB said that subsequent pregnancies tend to carry lower unless you actively rebuild the muscles via pilates, pelvic floor exercises, etc. in between pregnancies. The baby being lower and muscles being weaker puts more pressure on that area.

My discomfort with this has come and gone. So, don't despair that you have 13 more weeks straight of it. But, overall, there has been a difference, perhaps esp. because with DS I went in as someone who did pilates regularly and my muscles were so strong that poor DS barely seemed to move in there the entire pregnancy! Uh, not the case now.

swissair81
07-23-2010, 09:43 AM
My OB said that subsequent pregnancies tend to carry lower unless you actively rebuild the muscles via pilates, pelvic floor exercises, etc. in between pregnancies. The baby being lower and muscles being weaker puts more pressure on that area.

Really? I wish that was true for me. I always carry high. I wouldn't mind carrying baby a little lower down.

boltfam
07-23-2010, 09:49 AM
I had the same problem around the same time, but it seemed more like just sore muscles. For me, too, nothing seemed to make it especially worse. It was just sore all.the.time. I dealt with it on and off for a while but it seemed to get much better toward the end of my pregnancy. What helped me was a lot of warm baths, which I know is difficult to do when you already have a LO.

luckytwenty
07-23-2010, 09:50 AM
My OB told me I was an anomaly for carrying very high with my 3rd pregnancy (this kid is being grown pretty much between my boobs!) I remember having kind of a weird crotch pain, not shooting but just uncomfortable, at the end of my 2nd pregnancy. Not sure what causes it, but it was not fun.

swissair81
07-23-2010, 09:52 AM
My OB told me I was an anomaly for carrying very high with my 3rd pregnancy (this kid is being grown pretty much between my boobs!)

Oh so maybe I'm just a weirdo. That makes sense. Lol... I'm carrying so high, I have a 'shelf' to lay things on.

luckytwenty
07-23-2010, 10:40 AM
If it makes you feel better, she also told me I had to have really strong abs pre-pregnancy for me to carry "like a first timer." It didn't make ME feel better because I've also heard that women who show really early (that would be me) don't have strong abs, so I think she was buttering me up!

ourbabygirl
07-23-2010, 10:48 AM
Thanks, Everyone!
Yeah, it's weird, it's not like an intense pain or even enough to make me take Tylenol or anything, just sore down there, like I was riding a horse all day or DTD for two days straight (TMI, sorry! :bag).
I've carried low both pregnancies and wish I could carry higher! I feel like I just have a huge beer gut and like the baby's sitting right in my lap when I sit down. I'm 5'3", too, so I do NOT feel very cute when I'm pregnant!
Anyhow, I'll mention it to my doctor and see what he says. I did have an epidural with DD & had A LOT of soreness down there for a LONG time after she was born- probably 2 months?- and I wonder if that contributed to it. I'd love for this recovery to go more quickly since I need to be back in tip-top shape to take care of 2 kids!

boltfam
07-23-2010, 10:59 AM
Thanks, Everyone!
Yeah, it's weird, it's not like an intense pain or even enough to make me take Tylenol or anything, just sore down there, like I was riding a horse all day or DTD for two days straight (TMI, sorry! :bag).
I've carried low both pregnancies and wish I could carry higher! I feel like I just have a huge beer gut and like the baby's sitting right in my lap when I sit down. I'm 5'3", too, so I do NOT feel very cute when I'm pregnant!
Anyhow, I'll mention it to my doctor and see what he says. I did have an epidural with DD & had A LOT of soreness down there for a LONG time after she was born- probably 2 months?- and I wonder if that contributed to it. I'd love for this recovery to go more quickly since I need to be back in tip-top shape to take care of 2 kids!

That was kind of how I felt, too. The best way I could describe it was that I had an episiotomy all over again. I have heard that you generally recover A LOT faster with the second one. That was my case, and hopefully, it will be yours. Hang in there!

swissair81
07-23-2010, 02:06 PM
I recovered a lot faster with my second and third than with my first. The labor was shorter, no epidural & no tearing or episiotomy.

daisymommy
07-23-2010, 03:53 PM
I had the separated pubic bones with 2 of my kiddos. I also had a prolapse...NOT fun at all! I would ask about that.

BigDog
07-26-2010, 09:41 AM
I've been having this same problem, too. I'm currently 34 weeks and have been feeling it for the last month or so. It's just like the OP said, when I get up from laying down, or get up to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night... Ouchy! It goes away after a few minutes, but if I'm on my feet a lot during the day I'll start to feel it again. I never had this pain when I was pregnant with DS, and when I asked my OB about it, she said it's because this is my 2nd pregnancy and my body is just not the same. Don't I know it!