PDA

View Full Version : Seventh Generation and other "green" diapers and wipes - reviews?

citymama
07-23-2010, 02:33 AM
I'd love to switch from Pampers to something chlorine-free and with less chemicals. We use Swaddlers Sensitive at the moment with 11 lb DD2 and are pretty happy with them. She hasn't had any kind of reaction or diaper rash so far, so we're not having any problems with the diapers, just thinking about more responsible options.

So tell me about Seventh Generation diapers - blowout frequency, diaper rash issues, softness, quality, etc. Would also be helpful to hear about their wipes (or other less chemically wipes than Pampers Sensitive).

We've been Pampers people since DD1 - we had horrible experiences with Luvs and Huggies (major blowouts and diaper rash issues) and so-so experience with Kirkland's. But I would like to find a more environmentally friendly and safer alternative if possible - although I know that is an oxymoron with disposable dipes. Let me know how/if you like or don't like 7th Generation, or if you have any other suggestions for green dipes/wipes that work well and won't break the bank. Thanks!

larig
07-23-2010, 02:37 AM
They're what I use when I don't CD. I like them just fine. They can't take a full night with my DS, though.

citymama
07-23-2010, 02:49 AM
PS Just found a great review of various "eco-dipes" on the market at one of Slate.com's sites, and it sounds like Earth's Best gets the highest marks in this category. So anyone with experience with this brand, let me know!

http://www.doublex.com/section/kids-parenting/carbon-footprint-my-babys-bottom?page=0,0

jgenie
07-23-2010, 04:52 AM
We've used 7th Gen wipes from the beginning w/ DS1 and continued w/ DS2. We haven't had any issues and have been very happy. Can't help on the dipes - we use huggies once they pass the Pampers swaddler stage.

ETA: Amazon has the best price on the wipes.

AnnieW625
07-23-2010, 04:14 PM
LOVE the 7th Gen. diapers. Never had a blow out with them (now I just jinxed myself) with DD1 and we started using them with her when she got really bad diaper rash from the original Pampers Cruisers when DD1 was just over a year old. We just started using them again for DD2, and so far so good. Her yeast infection has really cleared up just by using the diapers vs. the cloth we had been using, and even the Pampers Swaddlers we used prior to the cloth. Amazon right now has a case of 174 diapers on sale for $33.51, and if you do subscribe and save it brings the price down to $23. PM me your address and I can put a few diapers in the mail to you.

I have never used the wipes so I can't comment. We are currently using the Costco brand wipes and they have been working out okay; they are almost as thick as the original ones they replaced the new ones with. I might try out the 7th gen. wipes when we are done with these Costco wipes, but for the price the Costco ones can't be beat, and I love that they are unscented.

Katigre
07-23-2010, 04:16 PM
I prefer Earth's Best diapers and wipes to 7th Gen when it comes to natural diapering.

PGTB
07-23-2010, 04:44 PM
We use 7th Generation diapers and I love them so far. There are sometimes blowouts, but not frequent enough to blame it on diapers, it's just sometimes DS has better days and sometimes not as far as his pooping intensity is concerned, LOL. I don't have anything else to compare, we order our diapers in bulk and we haven't run out of them yet to try a new brand.

I heard that Tushies diapers are the only ones that don't use the gel in their diapers, so I guess they are more natural than 7th generation, but I am pretty happy with 7th Gen and haven't had a need to switch yet.

As far as wipes are concerned, we use Tushies wipes (http://www.amazon.com/TushiesWipes-Refills-Unscented-Natural-Formula/dp/B000E8UCN8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=baby-products&qid=1279917380&sr=8-1).
They have no chemicals, fragrances and I do like using them a lot. We buy them in bulk from Amazon in refill packs and stuff the entire pack into our Prince Lionheart wipe warmer.

For the diaper rash cream I recently started using Earth Mama Angel Baby bottom balm (http://www.amazon.com/Earth-Mama-Angel-Baby-2-Ounce/dp/B001J6O6B8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=baby-products&qid=1279917484&sr=1-1) and I love it a lot. It's is quite pricey, but seems to last for a while as you only need a little bit at a time. I heard that some people use vaseline with success to prevent the diaper rash, I find our bottom balm to have a similar consistency to vaseline except it's based on natural oils instead of petroleum. Before that we used California Baby diaper rash cream (http://www.amazon.com/California-Baby-Diaper-Rash-Cream/dp/B003BI010M/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=baby-products&qid=1279917651&sr=1-3). This one has zinc if this is what you prefer and it also works great. I just prefer clear oily cream as it is much easier to apply and much less messy and you also seem to need less quantity of it to spread it around.

We rarely get rash because we also try to dry DS's bottom before applying the diaper. We change him always on a changing table and we keep a face wash cloth there to put under his bottom when we change the diaper. We gently pat his bottom and front (by wrapping him in it like in a diaper) after using the wet wipes and then apply the diaper cream. This seems to work to prevent rash and it also helps contain his urine and making things messy when he pees all over or poops right on the table.

citymama
07-23-2010, 05:51 PM
Thanks guys! So helpful. Annie, I'll PM you. Re good diaper creams without yucky chemicals we LOVE Burts Bees. It's great stuff!

Claki
07-23-2010, 05:52 PM
I have been using Earth's Best for about six months with DS. We are big fans. I tried them out of desperation when DS was blowing out all the other big name brands. They recently redesigned the fit but they didn't advertise this and they didn't change the packaging. The packaging says something about new and improved, but that was on there with the old design! We like both the new and older fits, the new is just slightly more flexible.

DS's daycare teacher is very practical and thinks most of the all-natural earth-friendly brands are over-priced and all hype. BUT, she recently told me she noticed how much better Earth's Best work for DS and she is impressed with their performance.

♥ms.pacman♥
07-23-2010, 06:40 PM
i love 7th gen diapers. we use them when we don't CD (at night, when we go out). for us it will last an entire 12 hours (8pm to 8am). love them. didn't give DS a rash.

JBaxter
07-23-2010, 09:54 PM
I cd and I like 7th generation but I like Earths Best MUCH better.

AnnieW625
07-24-2010, 04:02 PM
I prefer Earth's Best diapers and wipes to 7th Gen when it comes to natural diapering.

I cd and I like 7th generation but I like Earths Best MUCH better.

We tried these when they first came out in 2008 and I liked them at first but then felt that they weren't as absorbent for my older DD who was 2 at the time. Natural wise we have also used the Natural Baby Care diapers and those worked for us also, but the cover wasn't as soft as the 7th Generation ones.

kijip
07-24-2010, 07:03 PM
7th generation wipes contain rayon. I steer clear of them in favor of Natracare.

The diapers are ok. Not bad with blowouts and F has especially explosive bowel movements. We don't use them much because we mostly use cloth diapers and cloth wipes.

peanut520
07-24-2010, 08:50 PM
we love seventh generation diapers and earth's best equally. we switched from pampers after they started using dry max. we hated huggies and kirkland's (huggies with the characters) because we would constantly get leaks. as for softness, they arent as soft but not really rough either and dd wasnt bothered by it. the also sag less. i find the wipes to be dry.

Wondermom
07-28-2010, 12:29 AM
I just made what I consider a big switch from Pampers to 7th Generation. This is 2nd son, so been using Pampers a LONG time faithfully. We never had any drymax issues, but I thought if I could go with chlorine free (and since Amazon has them for cheaper right now than even Pampers), why not?

We used one pack of the 7th Generation before I committed to buying the big box. Had NO leakage issues and blow-out poo occurrences were equal to Pampers. I like the velcro tabs on the Pampers ever so slightly better, and DH pointed out that it was easier for him to figure out which side is front with Pampers because of the printing, but other than that, no quality difference.

FWIW, I tried the gimme Huggies Natural and thought they were only okay. After leakage issues with Huggies on DS1, we've NEVER gone back to Huggies. Plus, I didn't think the lining material inside felt as soft.

AnnieW625
07-28-2010, 04:45 PM
Just want to add that my local store was out of 7th Gen diapers (I was waiting for my Amazon S&S order) and I picked up some Huggies Pure & Natural and they are quite nice too. They don't smell like regular Huggies/Pampers, or give DD2 any rashes so that is nice. Probably not the choice for the 100% everything must be 100% Earth friendly(but what disposable is?) mom, but they are nice.

lizzywednesday
08-01-2010, 01:06 PM
Just want to add that my local store was out of 7th Gen diapers (I was waiting for my Amazon S&S order) and I picked up some Huggies Pure & Natural and they are quite nice too. They don't smell like regular Huggies/Pampers, or give DD2 any rashes so that is nice. Probably not the choice for the 100% everything must be 100% Earth friendly(but what disposable is?) mom, but they are nice.

These are the only dipes that don't give my DD diaper rash and we've tried Pampers Sensitive (they used these in the hospital & DD had a rash from day 1!), regular Huggies, Pampers BabyDry, Pampers DryMax & Luvs.

I'm sold on the lack of perfumes/fragrances second. The "pure & natural" thing is a gimmick, IMO.

We may try EB & Nature BabyCare, though, depending on whether or not they keep working.

As for the 7th Gen wipes ... we don't like these as well as Up & Up Sensitive.

citymama
09-07-2010, 07:12 PM
Thanks everyone. I have a box each of Nature BabyCare and Earth's Best to try once DD moves up to the next size. Thanks to Annie sending me diaper samples (yes, we are a little nuts), I tried Seventh Generation and Huggies Pure and Natural. I will post comparisons once we try them all. Decided not to try Tushies because of bulk and price. We don't shop at Whole Foods, so I haven't tried their dipes, but they get good reviews.

We have already been using the Earth's Best wipes and like them a lot. I think I prefer Pampers Sensitive in terms of thickness, but not in terms of the smell and junk on the wipes. I also like Nature BabyCare wipes, but some have complained they are dry. We wet wipes before use as a general practice, and wring out the chemicals, so it doesn't matter to us. NCB wipes contain one additional ingredient of concern (I forget what at this moment) so EB gets higher marks on the low toxins indicator.

We actually have a diaper composting service locally that will compost NCB diapers, and if the dipes work for us, we will consider this option. Until then, the "green" factor is more to keep chemicals away from baby's tushie than for the greater good of the planet, in all honesty.

Meanwhile, having spent hours and hours researching the web to compare the various "greener" diaper options, here are two resources (in addition to amazon.com and diapers.com reviews) that I found helpful when deciding what to buy. Hope they help someone else as well.

Slate magazine comparison "Finding the best eco-friendly diaper": http://www.doublex.com/section/kids-parenting/carbon-footprint-my-babys-bottom?page=0,0

MamaStories blog: http://blog.bolandbol.com/product-reviews/green-diapers-review/ [this is a little dated, but really breaks down the issues at stake]