PDA

View Full Version : S/O Post your annoyed with drivers or pedestrian stories here!

alien_host
07-23-2010, 01:08 PM
Since my other "letting in thread" has made me super aware of what other drivers are doing I thought this might be fun. You can include parking stories too!

1) The other night I was out doing and errand and it was pitch black dark out, with not much in the way of street lights and 2 young guys are crossing a divided road (not quite a highway but a major 2 lane road) on FOOT. Yes in the dark and had to climb over the divider...I barely saw them b/c you got it, they were wearing DARK colors. Geesh!

2) The car in front of me slowed down to about 20 miles an hour....no traffic or light in sight, no other cars but me and him and he moves to the left lane...I look over and he is texting or whatever on his phone.

3) A car is driving way too slow on a major highway...maybe 40....with the left blinker on as if they were making that eventual left turn. I pass her and it is an old lady talking on her cell phone, clearly oblivious to others on the road or that her blinker has been on for over a mile.

Anyone else care to share? ;)

jgenie
07-23-2010, 01:24 PM
I went to Target yesterday morning with both DC. As I am approaching the store I see a car in the first row about 4 spaces down starting to reverse so I turn into the lane to park when a woman drives through the handicap spaces in the next row and pulls in front of me - then turns on her blinker to show she plans to park in that space. There were hundreds of other spaces in the lot that were empty. I laughed at the absurdity of it and parked further down. I took my double stroller out buckled both DC in and walked into the store right behind her. I just don't get people.

MolieMuts
07-23-2010, 01:29 PM
The other day I was stopped at a red light in the right lane where many people turn right, but is not a turn only lane. The lady behind me kept honking her horn for me to go. Honk! Honk! Honk! The entire light cycle. It's not a turn only lane! After the light turned green she laid on the horn for about 6 seconds. I guess that was my send-off.

Penny's Pappa
07-23-2010, 02:15 PM
While coming home from work one day, the car in front of me decides to completely stop halfway through his right-hand turn. I had to swerve out of the way to not rear-end him. A few minutes later, as I'm driving down a main road, another driver on a side street decides he doesn't want to wait for traffic to pass any longer, so he just pulls right out in front of me. I had to slam on the brakes to keep from T-boning him! Suffice it to say, I was PISSED by the time I got home!

Oh, and I can't tell you how many times I've been riding my bike when a driver pulls out in front of me, or tries to jam me to the curb, or yells at me, or cuts it a little too close when pulling into my lane. And then they act like I'm the one in the wrong! You're the one driving a 2-ton killing machine, asshat!

caleymama
07-23-2010, 03:41 PM
Oh, and I can't tell you how many times I've been riding my bike when a driver pulls out in front of me, or tries to jam me to the curb, or yells at me, or cuts it a little too close when pulling into my lane. And then they act like I'm the one in the wrong! You're the one driving a 2-ton killing machine, asshat!

I'll bitch about this on DH's behalf. Just yesterday he crashed his bike because some jerk decided to make a left turn in front of him. The guy was the first in a line of cars waiting in a left turn lane on a main road. There's no traffic light and he has to cross two lanes of oncoming traffic to get to the side road he's turning on to. DH was approaching at a good pace and the guy pulled out and turned with no regard for the fact that DH was there. DH said he had slowed down a little but he still had to stop suddenly on this busy main road in traffic and ended up crashing. He's running a 32 mile trail race tomorrow and was not happy about landing on his hip. Thankfully it's just a slight bruise and some road rash - could have been a lot worse. The best part is that the guy and his passenger just looked at DH like "huh, that guy riding his bike just crashed" and continued on their way, never acknowledging that they caused the crash or the fact that DH was on the ground in the middle of a busy intersection. Another lady did check on him and he was up quickly, but come on!

HonoluluMom
07-23-2010, 04:26 PM
Yesterday afternoon I was stuck behind a car who decided it was a nice time for a leisurely drive - in the extreme left (fast!) lane on the freeway. I guess he didn't think anything about the 20 cars stacked behind him and the traffic zooming by to his right.

I hate slow drivers in the left lane on the freeway!:32:

nrp
07-23-2010, 04:37 PM
This afternoon I was leaving the gym with DS and went to buckle him in his seat. The car to my left had parked too close and I couldn't get him in on that side, but I wasn't all that annoyed and managed to get him in the other side. As I was backing out the man in the car next to me (I hadn't realized someone was sitting in the car) steps out and starts waving his arms at me. I stop and roll my window down, not imagining what he has to say and then he starts shouting that I was parked in a compact only spot. Well, there was a sign for *his* spot, because it is on the corner of the garage and I guess they've had trouble with people making turns there. I nicely explain that no, it only meant the spots on the end. He keeps shouting that it means the *whole* row of cars (which it does not and would be mean half the lot would be compact-only and I can assure you in Texas that would mean a lot of empty spaces - I even asked the security guard later just to make sure I wasn't crazy). He throws his hands up and gets in his (not-so-compact) car and drives off. I still can't really get his irritation - HE parked too close to me in the first place and its not like he's the parking police anyway.

ehf
07-23-2010, 08:14 PM
Today, in the driving rain, I went to pick up take-out. There were NO spots left--but only because three different cars parked in the middle of two spaces. I was very tempted to key the Mercedes, Lexus, and Audi who decided that they wanted to protect their flanks. Seriously?

SkyrMommy
07-24-2010, 08:38 PM
Light is green... I am driving straight through the intersection... you will have a green arrow in just a few moments... do NOT try to cut in front of me and then have the nerve to give me the finger and curse at me out your window. WAIT YOUR TURN!!!!! Argh... why does everyone have to be in such a rush and rude mindset.

alien_host
10-28-2010, 09:52 AM
Dear pedestrian,

Please DO NOT cross the ON RAMP to the highway in the DARK....yes, we nearly ran you over. At least you weren't wearing all black, but geez, get a brain!

wellyes
10-28-2010, 10:07 AM
Dear drivers of Massachusetts:

1. If you're at a 4 way stop, the stop sign does not mean "tap briefly on the brake, then you get to go". You're supposed to actually observe the other drivers to see if anyone was there before you. They get to go first, even if it means you have to sit at your stop sign for longer than .5 seconds.

2. If you want to make a right turn after a stop sign, you still have to STOP for oncoming traffic. It is a stop sign, not a yield sign. Don't make me slam on my brakes to not hit you so that you don't have to stop at all.

wendibird22
10-28-2010, 10:12 AM
I drive a back country road to/from work. The speed limit is 55. I HATE how most days I get behind someone driving no more than 45 the entire way. Worst yet is being stuck behind a series of cars and none of them will pass the jerk driving so ridiculously slow. I'll pass a slow car when safe to do so. But I won't pass 2 or more cars and I don't get why no one else will pass.

lowrioh
10-28-2010, 10:23 AM
How about a federal law enforcement officer who routinely parks his big SUV right in front of a crosswalk that runs between a Metro station and several office buildings. Oncoming cars can't see that pedestrians are on the curb about to cross the street (not that many of them seem to care that pedestrians in crosswalks have right of way) and several of my co-workers have nearly got run over. One co-worker complained to him and his answer was that he couldn't park in the parking lot because then he couldn't see his vehicle. I guess that he leaves his police dog IN THE CAR and he doesn't want people to "mess with him"....nice.
We actually called Animal Control on him recently, as it is AGAINST THE LAW to leave an animal in a car and he got a ticket.

Another pet peeve on my daily commute are the a-holes who don't want to wait in the line of traffic at the light so the try to sneak up the turn only lane and cut back into traffic right before the light. Drives me batty.

lizzywednesday
10-28-2010, 10:42 AM
To wellyes ... there is a special place in He!! for MA drivers. Right next to the PA drivers and behind the DE drivers.

What about someone who absolutely MUST honk, swerve all over the road and tailgate to get wherever they absolutely need to be ... on a Sunday afternoon?

Not only did the joker in question cut his left-hand turn too close to my car (and honk at me like I did something wrong) but he also passed me on the right, tailgated the car in front of him ... AND passed said car on a very curvy and hilly road with a DOUBLE YELLOW LINE. He tried it after making a turn and the car in front of HIM swerved to the left to block him from passing - all WITH ONCOMING CARS in the opposite direction.

Oh, and he was driving a Volvo crossover.

Indianamom2
10-28-2010, 12:47 PM
Ooo...ooo...ooo!

Yesterday, I was sitting in the rental car we're driving for the foreseeable future, waiting for my clothing to be accepted by Once Upon a Child, when a dufus of a grown man parks right next to me, throws his door open, which in the 50 mph winds we've been having for 2 days, crashes into my RENTAL car. Not a little tap...a major crash.

He looks at me, sees me and my two kids sitting in the car and NEVER EVEN SAYS A WORD!!!

Who in the world does this? After he went in the store, I got out of the car and checked to see how bad the damage was. Thank goodness it hit in an inconspicuous place, but there WAS a chip, and if he'd bothered to look, he would have seen it too.

Have I mentioned that I'm paranoid about trying to keep a rental car clean and damage-free for unknown months?

bubbaray
10-28-2010, 12:59 PM
Dear Vancouver drivers (notoriously horrible drivers):

1) Its rain. Get over it. Seriously. It rains 364 days a year here. If you don't like driving in the rain, MOVE.

2) If you want to drive UNDER speed limit, stay in the RIGHT lane. Oh, and see those signs you drove (slowly) past -- they say SLOW TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT. Same goes for people who drive at or under the speed limit in the HOV lane. Really?

hellokitty
10-28-2010, 01:00 PM
I think most recently, TWO idiots parked their cars taking up TWO spaces at school yesterday. They were not even big cars, both compact, economy cars, so I don't know why they insisted on taking up two space, it was very blatant that they did not give a sh*t when they parked.

I also hate ppl who can't stay on THEIR side of the road and drive down the middle of the road or veer off. So many times I am sure that cell phones are involved with these situations.

kfhf20
10-28-2010, 01:01 PM
My personal favorite was the lady parked facing me, but one car over in the parking lot. She didn't realize I was in my car, and proceeded to pull thru the empty space in front of her, pushing a shopping cart into my driver side door. I quickly opened my door shoving the cart back into her car, and got out and asked her what she thought she was doing. She said she hadn't seen the cart. I told her I saw the whole thing, and in particular saw her purposefully push the cart out of her was, she was watching it the whole time. In response, I got "Well I guess I'm sorry then".

GaPeach_in_Ca
10-28-2010, 01:42 PM
This morning I was almost at work. The last phase of my drive, I take a ramp that makes a 270 turn up on to the road above and you merge into the right lane. I'm coming up to the merge and traffic is all backed up in that lane. Traffic starts to go, so I'm signalling to merge in and this VW purposely does not let me in and speeds up so he is tailgating the person in front of him just to not let me in. I don't understand. OK, I did beep at him for being a jerk. What is the point? He does not go anywhere faster. I can't help it that I need to merge there. I wasn't impeding him, he had to purposely speed up so I can't get in. So I am right behind him and we end up pulling into the parking lot at work at exactly the same time and even being in the elevator together.

I have no idea why people would drive like jerks when the chance of working at the same place is probably at least 50% in that lane at that time. I was staring at him in the elevator and he looked really uncomfortable and wouldn't look up. I really just wanted to ask him, "what was the point??" It has made me laugh the rest of the morning, though.

BabyMine
10-28-2010, 02:52 PM
Stop talking on your cell phone while driving!!!!!

In one day I almost got into 3 accidents becasue the people where on their phone and not paying attention.

If I do something nice for you , either a pedestrian or driver, please wave and acknowledge it.

Use your blinkers!!!!! They aren't there for decoration.

I don't want to hear the music in your car. Please put your windows up. You aren't cool.

When there are Stop signs in shopping areas they actually mean you have to stop. It doesn't mean you slow down and make the pedestrian walk faster.

Gena
10-28-2010, 02:56 PM
My peeve is with drivers who do not pull over for emergency vehicles.

DH is a Volunteer Fire Fighter/EMT is our community. We have a combined department with career FFs serving during the day and the Volly crews do nights, weekends, and holidays. Vollies respond from their homes, so their personal vehicles are equiped with lights and sirens. when the fire pager goes off, the Vollies have 4 minutes to get to the fire station, put their gear on, and get the rigs rolling. So they need to get to the station fast. DH and the other Vollies constantly have issues with drivers who do not yield to them when they are running with lights and sirens. This just shocks me.

And it's not just a problem for the volunteers going to the station. I've seen drivers refuse to pull over for the Fire Trucks and the Ambulance too. It's incredible.

I don't know if it's a matter of arrogance - drivers think that wherever they are going is more important than someone else's emergency. Or if drivers just do not pay attention to what is going on around them.

HonoluluMom
10-28-2010, 03:56 PM
Mr. Pedestrian - Please take your face out of your IPhone, Blackberry, etc. and stop texting to look for cars before you step into the roadway!

crl
10-28-2010, 04:57 PM
Dear Drivers,

Please stop pulling through the intersection before I am finished crossing with my baby in the stroller and my 7 year old in tow. We hurry across as best we can. Whizzing by right behind us before we can get on the sidewalk saves you all of 5 seconds.

Sincerely,
Catherine

alien_host
10-28-2010, 05:23 PM
Dear Parents Driving your kid to school,

I get it that you (and I) are running late, but there is no need to come from behind me to make a left turn when I have my left signal on and will turn when I actually get to the intersection. You don't need to drive into the on-coming traffic lane to pass two stopped cars and make your left turn. Please just wait a few minutes as the traffic ahead of us moves forward, THEN it will be your turn to make a left after I do.

Thank you,

TamiRuns
10-28-2010, 06:27 PM
Dear Drivers in my tiny town,

Believe it or not, many walkers and runners are out at 6:00 am so could you please respect the speed limit, stop signs and if its not too much to ask, share the road. At least give me some space. I'm lit up like a friggin' Christmas tree with blinking lights and reflective clothing, you can't miss me.

Thanks. Bye.

niccig
10-28-2010, 08:41 PM
I was on the freeway today and the right 2 lanes were backed up as it's merging onto another freeway. I wait my turn, sitting in the line. Cars always drive by in the other lane and try to push their way into our lanes so they can get on the other freeway and not wait in the backed up traffic. There are always some people that time it too late and are driving in the space between one freeway and the merging lanes - it's not part of the road.

Today I see a Highway Patrol car there, but some drivers didn't and they start to drive in the non-road space and they all got pulled over. It was awesome :jammin:

happymom
10-28-2010, 08:53 PM
I hate when the traffic light turns green and the car across the intersection quickly turns left before I can drive straight through the intersection. Drives me crazy!

HIU8
10-28-2010, 10:05 PM
Dear drivers in my neighborhood. That big red octagon that says "stop" actually means you have to stop your car, not slow down to 15 mph and run the stop and hit me as I'm taking MY turn to go. Oh, and please line of cars at the stop...you actually have to take turns and let others go. 7 cars cannot go through the stop without stopping and letting someone else go for heavens sake. I really wish a cop would sit at this stop sign. I swear, they would make a killing in tickets there!

gcc2k
10-29-2010, 10:55 AM
Ugh, please don't pull out in front of me on a 2-lane road, cutting me off and making me slam on my brakes, then putz along under the speed limit. If you're going to cut me off, at least drive fast and get out of my way (preferably sight) so I don't have to be reminded of your rudeness.