PDA

View Full Version : Don't buy electronics here

charmcitymom
07-23-2010, 01:38 PM
Hi Everyone,

I just heard a terrible story from my brother. He went to a very popular electronics store that touts being the best and purchased a tv. Since he couldn't install it right away he waited a couple of days. When he opened the box he saw the tv was broken. He went back to the store and they wouldn't take it back! He has no recourse! He spoke to the manager, etc but got no where. He can't go to the credit card company because he had applied and gotten a store credit card especially for this purchase! So he has to pay $1000 for a tv that doesn't work!!! Can you believe this? I'm never buying anything from there ever again! They have great deals but at what expense!! - I'll tell you - crappy customer service!!!!!

Lesson learned.

TwinFoxes
07-23-2010, 02:03 PM
Do you mean Best Buy? They have notoriously bad customer service. That sucks for your brother. He might try taking it up the corporate chain, or try contacting a consumer help agency.

hillview
07-23-2010, 02:32 PM
Tweet and post to facebook about this for sure
/hillary

AnnieW625
07-23-2010, 04:19 PM
I had issues with Best Buy when I had to return an Ipod when the battery stopped charging. My DH bought the warranty and then in order to return it and get a new one we had to re buy the warranty!? I will not buy anything but movies (if we happen to get a gift card) at that store again.

Penny's Pappa
07-23-2010, 04:25 PM
I've found that Best Buy's in-store customer service stinks -- and that's saying something on a parenting forum! However, I have found their corporate customer service to be more helpful. A couple months ago I wrote them an e-mail (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=cat12104&type=page) and they called me back a couple days later. Though we couldn't resolve my particular situation, the rep was much more attentive and helpful. YMMV.

If that doesn't work, I'd do as TwinFoxes said and either move up the ladder or start contacting a consumer protection agency. I wonder if the TV's manufacturer could help?

Tondi G
07-24-2010, 12:51 AM
thats crazy! I hope he can get someone to understand the situation and work with him.

In the future... go to Costco!

himom
07-24-2010, 07:02 AM
I won't set foot in Best Buy.

We bought an open-box video camera there on the spur of the moment, and when we got it home we found peanut-butter fingerprints all over it --- on the lense, shutter, power, flash, etc. Then the next morning we found the same brand, better model at Costco for $100 cheaper so we decided to return the Best Buy one.

We took it back a few days later and the woman at customer service told us we couldn't return it since the box was opened. When we explained it was and "open box" purchase, she said those couldn't be returned either. We pointed out that we hadn't used it, it was caked in peanut butter, and no one had told us it couldn't be returned. Another saleswoman came over and told her (right in front of us!) not to let us return it, since we had obviously only bought it so we could film Mother's Day for free on the camera!! WTH?? Finally the manager showed up and we fought him and got the return, although he was rude and very reluctant.

I emailed their customer service and never received a reply.

That was 6 years ago.

Between our 4 families (me, my parents, my brother) we have bought computers, laptops, iPods, cameras, televisions, a Wii, 2 Playstations, a few DVD players, a Boes sound system, etc in the last 6 years. NOT ONE of those products came from Best Buy, and not one ever will. I'd rather pay extra than ever give them another penny.

Ooops, sorry....didn't mean to hijack. I do vehemently agree that you should avoid Best Buy!!

WatchingThemGrow
07-24-2010, 07:20 AM
I had no idea. I've only bought a printer from them after making them PM a Black Friday sale.

I was considering them for a large camera purchase, but I will skip them now. thanks for telling me the name of the store!

JBaxter
07-24-2010, 07:32 AM
wow I will watch but I have bought 3 computers, 1 DS, microwave, video camera, 2 big screen TV a DVD, itouch, 2 cell phones and uncountable video games. I have used the protection package to replace the DS 3 times and iTouch they replaced the hard drive on a computer and the keyboard & mother board on another without a blink. I have never had to rebuy a protection plan.

Customer service actually sent me a $40 gift card because my computer came back and one of the issues wasnt addressed and had to be sent back.

I wonder if it specific to each store?

KrisM
07-24-2010, 08:17 AM
I've heard they don't always have good CS. But, I'll through a good one it, to balance it a bit.

DH got a new laptop in June from BB. He wanted one with a 1 gigabit ethernet (I think that's right) and this was advertised as having that, both by BB and Samsung. After opening it, loading software, etc, he finally got the new switch he needed and discovered it didn't support the 1 gigabit feature at all. I took it back and a member of teh Geek Squad played with it, talked to DH on the phone, and finally agreed that it did NOT have that feature and let me return with no restocking fee. I thought it was great.

Oh, and 4 days before returning, I had called and gotten a price adjustment on it. It was an under 5 minute phone call and very easy.

Maybe some stores are improving?

OP - I'd keep going up as well. That is just awfull

wellyes
07-24-2010, 09:44 AM
I don't shop there anyway, their prices are outrageously high compared to online.

shawnandangel
07-24-2010, 12:56 PM
I've bought and returned things to Best Buy without any trouble. That being said, I always open big ticket items while the delivery man is standing there or, if it's a computer, in the store itself.

charmcitymom
07-24-2010, 04:54 PM
So my brother said that after he tried to return the tv, all tvs are basically final sale. I've bought tvs there before and have never been told this. Now I don't know if store policies differ, but it seems that if that is the policy, it should be stated up front.
He has now sent in a letter to the general manager and is waiting to hear. He's actually offering too much in my opinion. He is asking that they replace the broken one and that he will buy another tv as well - to defer the store's losses. Since he already made the offer I guess that's where it stands, but I wouldn't have done that! He did say that all the stores independently owned - so what could corporate do in a case like that?
Finally, thanks for the heads up on costco! I've never bought big stuff like that from the wholesale clubs.

BabyMine
07-24-2010, 06:44 PM
I found this on their website under returns.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Help-Topics/Returning-In-store-Purchases/pcmcat204400050023.c?id=pcmcat204400050023

Please call 1-888-BEST BUY (1-888-237-8289) if you are returning one of the following:

A scheduled home-delivery item (e.g., major appliance, TV, furniture)
Performance Service Plan
Geek Squad® Black Tie Protection plan

yournamehere
07-24-2010, 09:33 PM
I will never buy anything at best buy again. I had so many problems with my computer within 4 months of buying it. They quoted me 300+ to see if they could figure out what was wrong with it and that it may cost more. They claimed none of it was under warranty.

I didn't like their answer so I asked my cousin who works in IT to take a look at the computer. He called the manufacturer and whadda ya know....EVERYTHING was under warranty and got fixed for no charge! My cousin said best buy is like Jiffy Lube they 'run diagnostics' and charge set fees for each little thing and take advantage of the unknowing.

Penny's Pappa
07-24-2010, 11:28 PM
So my brother said that after he tried to return the tv, all tvs are basically final sale. I've bought tvs there before and have never been told this. Now I don't know if store policies differ, but it seems that if that is the policy, it should be stated up front.
He has now sent in a letter to the general manager and is waiting to hear. He's actually offering too much in my opinion. He is asking that they replace the broken one and that he will buy another tv as well - to defer the store's losses. Since he already made the offer I guess that's where it stands, but I wouldn't have done that! He did say that all the stores independently owned - so what could corporate do in a case like that?
Finally, thanks for the heads up on costco! I've never bought big stuff like that from the wholesale clubs.

Everything about that smells like a steaming pile of bull crap. I see nothing in their online return/refund policy (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Help-Topics/In-Store-Return-Policy/pcmcat204400050028.c?id=pcmcat204400050028) that says all TV sales are final. In fact, these sections imply that you can indeed return a TV:

When a promotional item is returned, the value of the promotional item is deducted from the refund amount. For instance, if you purchase a TV and get a $100 gift card or 50% off of a DVD player, the $100 value of the gift card or the total value of the DVD player would be subtracted from the refund.

and

To exchange or return items that were delivered, such as major appliances, TVs, furniture and included accessories, please call 1-888-BESTBUY (1-888-237-8289).

And the stores are not, AFAIK, independently owned. Sounds like the people at that store are stringing your brother along and he needs to fight back.

dukie41181
07-25-2010, 12:46 AM
Sounds very frustrating and like your brother is being unneccesarily generous with his offer! Is there not another Best Buy within a reasonable driving distance? Perhaps another store would be worth a shot. He could always call and speak with a manager ahead of time. I have never had a problem at Best Buy. I too wonder if it varies by store and/or region.

JBaxter
07-25-2010, 08:53 AM
We have also always bought the protection plans for our big ticket items. I have had my lap top back for various reasons and a new battery ( mostly damage) and its never cost me a cent. Same with the other stuff. The store manager is great at ours. Its got to be a store to store thing.

TwinFoxes
07-25-2010, 11:13 AM
He did say that all the stores independently owned - so what could corporate do in a case like that?

No they're not, if you're talking about Best Buy, which you never actually said, I just guessed. Best Buys are not independently owned, they're all corporate.

ETA: In fact, if you were your DB, an there was another BB store nearby, I'd try to return it there.

squimp
07-26-2010, 03:52 AM
Best Buy return policies and CS absolutely positively sucks! Online truly sucks. I will never ever buy there again. Ever. I'm only buying places where they have a reasonable return policy and stand behind the stuff they sell.

ladysoapmaker
07-26-2010, 10:25 AM
Long time ago in a galaxy far away I use to work at Best Buy. We were not that bad. Actually we helped people who got burned at the old Sun TV stores.

The BBs in our town are still pretty decent. Though I will admit I really go there unless I know exactly what I need.

I really think it depends on where in the country you are as to how good the customer service is.

BTW has your brother called corporate?

charmcitymom
07-30-2010, 10:37 PM
Hello Everyone,

I finally have an update for everyone.

It turns out that in a fury, the night my brother and SIL went to return the tv, they left the tv at the store! So unfortunately, they couldn't try to take it to another store, etc. As a result, they've had to try and negotiate whatever they can with the same store.

As you may recall, my brother had made the offer to the store about buying another tv and getting the broken one replaced but the store rejected this offer. At some point, my brother had also gotten in touch with corporate who offered to sell them 2 at half the price at cost. This was apparently several days ago. According to the corporate guy, the store manager was supposed to call him right away but so far, no call.

In the meantime, no one has been able to cite a specific written policy that says you can't return a broken tv! My SIL has also gotten in touch with the local tv station to see if they'll do a story. This is sooooo ridiculous I can barely believe it.

I used to buy all my electronics at Best Buy, but NO MORE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My brother has said he'll try HHGregg next time. Does anyone have any horror stories about them?