PDA

View Full Version : Activity table for older kids

lhafer
07-23-2010, 03:16 PM
My daughter is 4 years old. She enjoys trains, cars, little people, and other imagination toys.

We have a step 2 table that she does arts and crafts at, but it's not big enough for these other activities. What table would you suggest for her? Thinking she might like legos soon too. I don't want to spend a lot of money and watch craigslist religiously. I need a table that's for taller kids. Most of the train tables I see are way short and made more for toddlers.

Anyone have experience with this one: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Kidkraft-2In1-Activity-Table/9919077

I know it's shorter, but comes with a lot and doesn't seem to take up a lot of room. But would it be big enough on the flip side if that coin?

GraceH
07-24-2010, 12:45 AM
I've mentioned before that we have the Nilo basic block table (33.5" by 25.5" top, 21" high) for DS & we really love it, ours came with the removable double-sided Lego/Duplo inserts - plus many of the Nilo tables have longer leg sets available for order to raise the height.

lhafer
07-24-2010, 09:19 PM
Would the table I listed above be sufficiant for a 4 year old? I could get it for $60 EUC or $77 NIB w/legos and train stuff.

There's a Nilo table for sale on craigslist for $100 in good shape. I know they are taller, but it's also a lot bigger in general. I was wanting to put this in the living room, and have the room for it. Just didn't really want it taking up a lot of space.

fivi2
07-25-2010, 06:51 PM
My daughter is 4 years old. She enjoys trains, cars, little people, and other imagination toys.

We have a step 2 table that she does arts and crafts at, but it's not big enough for these other activities. What table would you suggest for her? Thinking she might like legos soon too. I don't want to spend a lot of money and watch craigslist religiously. I need a table that's for taller kids. Most of the train tables I see are way short and made more for toddlers.

Anyone have experience with this one: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Kidkraft-2In1-Activity-Table/9919077

I know it's shorter, but comes with a lot and doesn't seem to take up a lot of room. But would it be big enough on the flip side if that coin?

My dds are 4.5 and we just got rid of our train table. They do duplos, trains, cars, playmobil, etc on the floor. They actually do most of their crafts on the floor or at the kitchen table. I found that the train table wasn't being used for play - just for holding things. We are much happier without it. Of course, ymmv, but I wouldn't spend the money on an activity table!

GraceH
07-26-2010, 03:28 AM
I'm just concerned the tables from Walmart seem a little small -- the basic block table that I have and listed the dimensions above is half the size of their regular table has space sufficient for a basic figure eight and not much more... and of course the aforementioned height issue

egoldber
07-26-2010, 07:00 AM
Honestly, my kids just use our coffee table or the floor. I deliberately bought a coffee table that was very sturdy and made from distressed wood, so that the kids could use it easily.

We also have a rectangular Ikea Mammut table adn that works well too. My 8 year old can still squeeze at it. It's the perfect size for my 3.75 year old.

kristac
07-26-2010, 07:44 AM
I would definately consider just a kids table set with chairs and add some Lego Base Plates vs an activity table at this age.