PDA

View Full Version : Edited: love the nap nanny; see last post!

AnnieW625
07-24-2010, 03:20 AM
That pretty much states it all. Cheapest price I have found on our local Craigslist is $65 for the ugly giraffe print. I know I really should just buy it, but I have a feeling when I try to sell it the resale value will be nil on it and I'll lose money vs. getting one of the regular minky or even one of the dots/minky ones because it's just butt ugly. The nice ones are going for upwards of $80 on Ebay and tack shipping on it's about $100-105. Best deal I have found is Albee Baby for $103.99, but I really just want to spend $60-$70 on one, be able to take DD2 to try it, bring it home with me to use that day, and be able to resell it for that in about a year.

If there are any socal moms/dads who want to sell their non giraffe print nap nanny please send me a PM. Thanks for reading this totally pointless b!tch!

Off to bed.

Corie
07-24-2010, 08:43 AM
Annie,

I don't even know what a nap nanny is!

Good Luck finding one! :)

(I have a 20% off coupon for Babies R Us. Would that work? You
can have it if you want!)

AnnieW625
07-24-2010, 10:38 AM
http://www.toysrus.com/search/index.jsp?kwCatId=&kw=nap%20nanny&origkw=nap%20nanny&f=Taxonomy/TRUS/2255957&sr=1

Corie, the Albee Baby deal is better because it saves me $10 in tax, I have a 20% off coupon too.

ohiomom1121
07-24-2010, 11:47 AM
How much do you think they'd be to ship? (Can never tell if ebay is accurate on real shipping costs!) I've never seen one in person so no clue how heavy it is. There's a like new one on my craigslist for $75. http://cleveland.craigslist.org/bab/1789811088.html I always do searches like nap nanny craigslist and ask people to ship if I find a hard to find item. Good luck! Those look interesting btw...may have to check into one for future DS.

♥ms.pacman♥
07-24-2010, 12:53 PM
the nap nanny is pretty light, but due to the large, unusual shape it is $$$ to ship. i remember when ds was 4mo and we were going to visit my mom in CA, we wanted to take it with us since it was the ONLY way he would nap for more than 30 minutes at a time. however i think i calculated the cost to ship (I'm in tx) and it ended up being a decent amount of $$ so my mom said she would just buy me another one just to have at her house, since we were going to visit there a few times anyway. i think i ended up ordering it on amazon and having it shipped to her house, since shipping was free anyway

i just checked on my local craigslist, someone is sellng a nap nanny for $115. waay to much IMO. i remember when i was thinking of buying one there was one for $75, which i think is a fair price. the thing is though, they aren't a ton of them on CL (unlike exersaucers or jumperoos which are a dime a dozen on CL, and therefore always are about the same price). so because of that some ppl want to charge a ton of $$$

and i agree about the giraffe print..was not my style at all, did NOT like it. the one with big dots looked nice on screen but when i saw it IRL i didn't like it either. i only liked the minky ones without any print. i have blue at home and green at grandma's house.

AnnieW625
07-24-2010, 02:13 PM
There is a lady locally who is selling her plain green one for $100, but that's just too much seeing that I can get a new one from Albee for $3.99 more. I might email her and see if she'll take $80 since her thing has been on there for almost a month.

hobie
07-24-2010, 02:42 PM
Does anyone make extra covers? If so, buy the ugly one, and get a cover. Nevermind...the extra cover is $65!

MamaMolly
07-24-2010, 11:04 PM
Annie, I owe you an apology. I was thinking OMG she needs to get the giraffe print and get over it. Then I thought how bad can it be? EEEEWWWWWWWWWW. Ok, totally get it now. Yuck! http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.livingincomfort.com/images/medium/bk34069-pic.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.livingincomfort.com/bk34069.html&usg=__g6iXlPyMljiSN2omrZZap8Yqdxs=&h=315&w=420&sz=170&hl=en&start=0&tbnid=B1P72k_qW2TpBM:&tbnh=126&tbnw=167&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dnap%2Bnanny%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26clie nt%3Dsafari%26sa%3DN%26rls%3Den%26biw%3D1379%26bih %3D677%26tbs%3Disch:10%2C164&um=1&itbs=1&iact=hc&vpx=657&vpy=189&dur=50&hovh=194&hovw=259&tx=128&ty=100&ei=aKlLTJ6IEIL48Aae8PE3&page=1&ndsp=29&ved=1t:429,r:18,s:0&biw=1379&bih=677

So like I said, sorry about that and good luck on your search! And yes, the non-giraffe is worth extra money.

sarahsthreads
07-24-2010, 11:26 PM
Eep! I was thinking it had (ugly) giraffes on it, not that it looked like someone stuffed part of a giraffe and turned it into a nap nanny. I wouldn't want that either! :)

I have found that my CL is a waste of time, the people who are selling the things I want at a reasonable price are a too far of a drive (and too much gas) away from me. If someone is selling something relatively close to me, apparently I live in what's considered the "affluent" side of the area because they're asking 75%, 80% or more of new and state that the price is firm. In all caps. Dude. Your giant plastic playset that's "nearly brand new" is extremely sun faded, dirty, and warped from water pooling on the flat surfaces...and you expect you're going to get how much for that??

I'd definitely hold out for something a little less...frightening. Actually, scratch that, I'd just give in and buy new because my CL is, like I said, terrible.

Sarah :)

AnnieW625
07-25-2010, 12:03 AM
Annie, I owe you an apology. I was thinking OMG she needs to get the giraffe print and get over it. Then I thought how bad can it be? EEEEWWWWWWWWWW. Ok, totally get it now. Yuck! http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.livingincomfort.com/images/medium/bk34069-pic.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.livingincomfort.com/bk34069.html&usg=__g6iXlPyMljiSN2omrZZap8Yqdxs=&h=315&w=420&sz=170&hl=en&start=0&tbnid=B1P72k_qW2TpBM:&tbnh=126&tbnw=167&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dnap%2Bnanny%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26clie nt%3Dsafari%26sa%3DN%26rls%3Den%26biw%3D1379%26bih %3D677%26tbs%3Disch:10%2C164&um=1&itbs=1&iact=hc&vpx=657&vpy=189&dur=50&hovh=194&hovw=259&tx=128&ty=100&ei=aKlLTJ6IEIL48Aae8PE3&page=1&ndsp=29&ved=1t:429,r:18,s:0&biw=1379&bih=677

So like I said, sorry about that and good luck on your search! And yes, the non-giraffe is worth extra money.

Seriously not an issue at all; that's what I get for bitching when I should've been sleeping. I spent the entire day telling myself to get over it too. I came close to calling the guy but just couldn't bring myself to do it! I did call the other lady with the $100 one and offered $80, but she wouldn't take it. I just ordered it in sage from Amazon, and applied for their Visa, and got a trial of Amazon prime so I can get it on Tuesday. So my grand total was $89, plus $3 for the overnight shipping. Oh well with my luck it will be on Baby Steals within the week!

Thanks for reading my bitch!:) (and hopefully laughing at me too!)

♥ms.pacman♥
07-25-2010, 01:09 AM
^yay, that is a really good price!! the sage is really nice. also having a gender-neutral color will be good for resale value down the road (if u had gotten pink that would be harder to sell imo bc then only parents of girls could buy it). :)

dotgirl
07-25-2010, 01:19 AM
No advice, but .. I like the giraffe print one!

Maybe I just have bad taste. ;)

AnnieW625
07-25-2010, 01:33 AM
^yay, that is a really good price!! the sage is really nice. also having a gender-neutral color will be good for resale value down the road (if u had gotten pink that would be harder to sell imo bc then only parents of girls could buy it). :)

Exactly what I was thinking. I almost wanted the pink, but decided that sage will sell better. I am much too practical for my own good.

No advice, but .. I like the giraffe print one!

Maybe I just have bad taste. ;)

Oh no not at all, just not me not really big on animal prints. I have a pair of giraffe print shoes that I love (similar to these:http://www.shoewoo.com/Woodson/70202798,default,pd.html?cgid=70287858&itemNum=1&variantSizeClass=&variantColor=LTNBBFB), but the spots are blackish brown, not brown. I think there were just way too many brown spots for my taste.

larig
07-26-2010, 11:40 AM
nap nanny has been recalled.
http://www.chicagobreakingnews.com/2010/07/nap-nanny-baby-recliners-recalled.html

♥ms.pacman♥
07-26-2010, 01:05 PM
nap nanny has been recalled.
http://www.chicagobreakingnews.com/2010/07/nap-nanny-baby-recliners-recalled.html

here is the full article with pictures

http://newsblogs.chicagotribune.com/the-problem-solver/2010/07/infant-death-prompts-recall-of-30000-baby-recliners.html

FWIW the instructions for the nap nanny have always said that they are NOT supposed to be used anywhere but the floor (it even mentions specifically that they are NOT supposed to be used in cribs or on beds). makes sense, bc if the child ever got out she could get stuck between it an the crib bumper, causing suffocation. it's just common sense. i can't believe some parents placed these things in cribs. :shake:

i have the newer version of the Nap Nanny (made in Jan 2010) so in that case the recall just involves watching a video with warnings etc. I already knew that stuff.

nov04
07-26-2010, 02:31 PM
FWIW the instructions for the nap nanny have always said that they are NOT supposed to be used anywhere but the floor (it even mentions specifically that they are NOT supposed to be used in cribs or on beds). makes sense, bc if the child ever got out she could get stuck between it an the crib bumper, causing suffocation. it's just common sense. i can't believe some parents placed these things in cribs. :shake:

i have the newer version of the Nap Nanny (made in Jan 2010) so in that case the recall just involves watching a video with warnings etc. I already knew that stuff.

I wondered if there was some sort of warning not to use near something that could cause a gap where a baby could get stuck. Pretty sad that an item that could be helping tired parents gets recalled because someone couldn't use it as instructed.

Minnifer
07-26-2010, 02:42 PM
FWIW the instructions for the nap nanny have always said that they are NOT supposed to be used anywhere but the floor (it even mentions specifically that they are NOT supposed to be used in cribs or on beds). makes sense, bc if the child ever got out she could get stuck between it an the crib bumper, causing suffocation. it's just common sense.

I saw those instructions but I don't know, it made me wonder - even if used as intended on the floor, couldn't the baby also get/roll out/off? I mean, if it's happening in cribs that babies are somehow coming off of this, couldn't that also happen on the floor? It wouldn't cause suffocation, but doesn't seem great to have happen either.

The company's website says there were "22 reports of infants hanging or falling over the side of the recliner (even when the harness appears to be secured)." Seems bad generally - I wonder what's different about this, if anything, versus a regular bouncy seat in terms of babies not coming/falling out.

♥ms.pacman♥
07-26-2010, 03:12 PM
I wondered if there was some sort of warning not to use near something that could cause a gap where a baby could get stuck. Pretty sad that an item that could be helping tired parents gets recalled because someone couldn't use it as instructed.

yeah, there was a whole list of warnings on the packaging and also on the nap nanny itself. actually i just happened to wash the cover last night and happened to see the tag that had all the warnings (there were a lot of them!). i can't check now since my DS is napping in it, but i remember it said something like "Nap Nanny is designed to be used ONLY on the floor. DO NOT use in a crib. DO NOT use on an elevated surface. DO NOT use nap nanny to transport child. NOT for use as infant car seat etc etc" i can't remember if it said anything about suffocation or something specifically as to WHY one should not use it in a crib, but for me, it was fairly obvious.

and yeah, i agree, it's unfortunate that there are many products out there that get recalled because some parents don't heed the warnings. i'm waiting for the Bumbo seat to get recalled after someone will inevitably put it on a countertop or something and baby falls off and gets injured.

I saw those instructions but I don't know, it made me wonder - even if used as intended on the floor, couldn't the baby also get/roll out/off? I mean, if it's happening in cribs that babies are somehow coming off of this, couldn't that also happen on the floor? It wouldn't cause suffocation, but doesn't seem great to have happen either.

The company's website says there were "22 reports of infants hanging or falling over the side of the recliner (even when the harness appears to be secured)." Seems bad generally - I wonder what's different about this, if anything, versus a regular bouncy seat in terms of babies not coming/falling out.

well first thing is that the packaging etc says that it's not supposed to be used for babies that can sit up on their own in it. my DS can sit up on his own on the floor, but he still cannot pull himself up to sitting, even in the Nap Nanny (and i've seen him try!) i can see that if a baby can sit up on his own in it, even a harness may not be enough to keep the baby from getting out of it.

and i too, wonder how this is so different from the harness on bouncy seats. We have a fisher-price precious planet bouncer, and the harness is the same style as on the Nap Nanny. my guess could be that the Nap Nanny harness can be made a lot looser and thus if you don't make it tight enough, the baby could squirm out somehow. the fisher price bouncer harness was sooo small i couldn't even buckle it at all on DS after 4 months of age (he is a BIG baby).

also, when you take the cover off to wash it, you must secure the velcro straps on the cover to the D-rings on the foam base (it says this somewhere too). if you don't do it, the harness will only be attached to the cloth cover which doesn't provide much security at all. again this was obvious to me but i guess it may not be obvious to everyone who uses it.

ETA: just read that new versions of Nap Nanny will have large warning labels sewn on to the exterior of the cover.

boolady
07-26-2010, 03:19 PM
i'm waiting for the Bumbo seat to get recalled after someone will inevitably put it on a countertop or something and baby falls off and gets injured.

This already happened, maybe 2 years ago. Now it's stickered to include the warning.

citymama
07-26-2010, 03:28 PM
So what are you going to do, Annie? Have them stop shipment or get it anyway?

AnnieW625
07-28-2010, 06:25 PM
I got it yesterday. and well I do really like it. DD slept in it today for just over an hour with a little 5 minute fussy period when she lost her paci; then CIO and went back to sleep. I just put it by the bathroom door when I just took my shower and she is zonked out it in again. I am most likely going to keep the thing. DD1 even sat it in this morning and said "ooh this is comfy." I was a little nervous about keeping her on the floor in her room alone with the door closed (we have a breeze today so the wind was moving the door too much to keep it partially opened), but she did fine with it.

As of now I think it's worth the $90 I paid for it, would I feel the same way if I paid $130 for it to use starting with a 3 mos. old? Probably not, but for $90 with the option that I can probably sell it for $50 to $60 (or more if I want to deal with Ebay) when I am done using it I think it's a good buy.

♥ms.pacman♥
07-28-2010, 06:30 PM
yay, glad your dd liked it! and yeah i liked the portability of it, how i could move it from room to room depending on what i was doing.

that's cool that your older dd liked it too! at the local baby store where i bought mine, one of the store employees said they knew some parents with 5 year olds that used the Nap Nanny for when they had colds etc, so they could sleep propped up. i know that you're not supposed to use the nap nanny for older babies (once they can sit up on their own) but i imagine it's fine for older kids

Edensmum
07-29-2010, 01:59 PM
did you see this nak

AnnieW625
07-29-2010, 04:18 PM
did you see this nak

Yes I did see that on Monday. Thank you.