PDA

View Full Version : 6 month old doesn't sleep thru the night

czekit7
07-24-2010, 03:35 PM
My pedi was concerned that my 6 month old DS doesn't sleep more than 4 hrs at a time...needs to eat to fall back asleep. Can't just let him lay there crying...he won't stop...he's STARVING! Pedi suggested that I decrease the amt of feeding he gets at midnight and 0400 by 1/2 ounces every 3 days. Tried that the first time...went from 4oz to 3.5oz, woke up sooner (0330). Next tried to decrease him to 3 oz..woke up P.O.'d...ate 6 oz just to spite me (and pedi). He eats 4 times a day at daycare (formula x 4 times and 2 meals of fruit/veggie and cereal). When we get home from work at 7pm, he eats about 1/3c fruit/veggie, and another 4-8oz of formula. Goes to sleep about 8pm and then wakes somewhere between 0000 and 0230, then again at 0430. We then have to get up by 0530 to get to work by 0645. We'd really like to start sleeping a little more, but will it ever happen. DS doesn't agree with the "decreasing formula at night by 1/2 oz".

SnuggleBuggles
07-24-2010, 04:10 PM
I don't agree with it either. Who is to say a 6mo should be sleeping more than 4 hours at a time? No one told my boys that or my friends' babies that. SOmetimes people have great sleepers, regardless of parenting. But, when you don't then you do what you can so everyone can be comfy and get as much sleep as possible. In your case that means regular feedings. Growth spurts happen and he really and truly could be extra hungry. Good sleep will happen, I promise!! So much of sleep and infants/ toddlers is a phase. YOu can have great ones, medium ones and blech ones but things gradually improve and sometimes you might hit good or bad patches along the way. Don't expect good sleep or a while. If it happens then be excited! But, if it doesn't don't go looking for fixes that don't seem right for you or ds. I think your ped was just trying out her theory with you. Mine never was concerned about sleep if he was getting enough, growing and thriving. Peds are good for medical problems and not really so good for parenting info. Everyone has a different philosophy, especially with things like sleep. I bet if you went to 10 peds you'd get 10 dif't opinions. That's all they are, opinions. Just like mine to relax. :)

Beth

LMPC
07-25-2010, 12:37 PM
I could not have said it better myself, snugglebuggles!!

jdruffel
07-25-2010, 01:15 PM
I'd say if the night situation is working for you, then stick with it. If not, then the Ferber method worked great for my oldest DD when she was 7 months. She was waking so much at night and needing to nurse back to sleep we both were miserable. After 4 days of the Ferber method, she never woke or put herself back to sleep in minutes and I never fed her at night again. I thought she'd be starving, but she wasn't and was a much happier baby. Do what's best for your family:)

YouAreTheFocus
07-25-2010, 01:38 PM
I also agreee with Snugglebuggles! Our baby was still eating throughout the night at 6 mos as well. Our ped (& family!) thought we were nuts and told us to let him cry it out. But he would wake up hysterical and ravenously hungry and we just couldn't imagine *not* feeding him--it seemed mean. He ougrew it at 8 mos and now sleeps 12 hrs a night.

Do you top him off before you go to bed? This was a big help to us. My friend clued us in to the "dream feed" and it has allowed us to get more sleep.

czekit7
07-25-2010, 05:27 PM
We will just keep at it. Thank you all.