PDA

View Full Version : Is clumsiness a pregnancy thing?

luckytwenty
07-24-2010, 04:53 PM
I am mortified. Went to pour myself a glass of iced tea at a friend's house and somehow managed to drop the entire pitcher (thank goodness it was plastic) and got tea in every crevice of her kitchen. I'm talking inside the drawers, in the grout in between the granite slabs, every appliance.

I'd say it was a one time thing but I keep dropping everything!!! Not sure if I'm just adjusting to my change in balance, absent-minded, have weak hands or what!!

LadyPeter
07-24-2010, 07:14 PM
It is for me! I wasn't clumsy before, but now that it's difficult to bend down, I seem to drop everything. Especially my keys. And then when I do manage to reach them, everything rolls out of my purse. Aarrrgghh! Glad I'm not the only one.

wellyes
07-24-2010, 08:47 PM
Well, I know your ligaments soften up considerably during pregnancy - particularly in the hips - not sure if that applies to arms / shoulders for holding things..... but in this case let's opt to blame that for your mishap.

LadyPeter
07-25-2010, 01:47 PM
What To Expect lists clumsiness as a pregnancy symptom. Not sure what week you're in...this one's mine.

http://www.whattoexpect.com/pregnancy/week-by-week/week-26.aspx

ewpmsw
07-25-2010, 03:44 PM
OMG, yes. Clumsiness is definitely a symptom, at least for me. Both times. I'm 38 weeks with #2 and am so over dropping things. The worst is when I've got my arms full and am herding my toddler into the house from the car and drop my keys. Happens several times a week. Ugh!

swissair81
07-25-2010, 03:46 PM
I'm just going to be quiet now & neglect to mention that I fell down the stairs one fine Saturday morning in May. I will also not mention that I spent 3 hours in the ER & another 4 in L & D being monitored. Oops, I guess I sort of did mention it. Maybe you'll feel less clumsy now?

ThreeofUs
07-25-2010, 04:24 PM
Always was to me. I lost all sense of myself in space - and it extended to the car. I managed to scrape up the front bumper/fender corner (2 pieces! yes!) and push our aluminum fence over.

I had heard about this a long time ago from a friend. I thought she was crazy when she said she took out her mailbox with her car because she was pregnant and had lost that "where am I" consciousness. Turns out she was right. *blush*

At any rate, I had to be a LOT more careful....

luckytwenty
07-25-2010, 05:29 PM
Yikes, Swissair, glad you're OK! I am going to be extra careful around steps.

Lady Peter, I am one week behind you. Sounds like clumsiness is right on schedule for me.

Ivy, I had a minor car scraping thing a few months ago but I blamed the exhaustion/feeling tiredness.

swissair81
07-25-2010, 06:44 PM
Yeah it was lots of fun. Especially since we weren't sure if I broke my ankle. I sprained it pretty badly though & couldn't walk for a few days. At least my car is intact.

alexsmommy
07-25-2010, 08:42 PM
Yep.
I blame it on the relaxin hormone.

Here's on physicians answer...

http://www.pregnancy.org/article/pregnancy-induced-clumsiness

candaceb
07-25-2010, 10:27 PM
I've definitely been dropping things more than usual. I wish it wasn't so hard to pick them up, too!

twowhat?
07-25-2010, 11:27 PM
YES!! Food, drinks got regularly spilled on my keyboard. Corners were regularly bumped and toes regularly stubbed. Elbows regularly slammed into tables, or ANYTHING that stuck out even slightly.

The worst was when I was walking to Subway to get my lunch and walking up the wheelchair ramp - I tripped on one of the grooves etched in the concrete. Yeah, you heard that right. The grooves. To KEEP people from slipping.