PDA

View Full Version : 4 lbs! YIKES!!!!!

dukie41181
07-25-2010, 10:05 AM
Ok, seriously, I just gained 4 lbs. this week! 4 lbs.! I feel terrible. I know I ddin't eat well (lots of crap) these past few days but I was shocked to see that I'd gained 4 lbs. in one week! This has never happened to me before and today I am vowing to stop the madness! I have weight issues to begin with and frankly the fact that I am actually monitoring my weight it astounding, but now I feel just awful. I hear that sometimes weight gain spurts can be common/normal during pregnancy. As of today I am 25 weeks. I wonder if it was just my eating like crap or if it was a combination of factors to create the "perfect storm." Either way, I just don't like it!

marymoo86
07-25-2010, 11:20 AM
I am just a week ahead of you! Funny enough I had the same problem - went on vacation and prior to hadn't gained any weight. Sure enough 4lbs in one week! Freaked me out. Don't worry as soon as you get back to a normal schedule things will even out. I have been monitoring my weight given my back issues as I want to gain enough to be healthy but not too much to put additional strain if not necessary.

Also noticed that the past couple of weeks have been quite the growth spurt too as I have really "popped" so I imagine that has something to do with it as well. Just keep drinking plenty of water and eat healthy - you will be fine :) Everything in moderation!

DrSally
07-25-2010, 01:33 PM
I wonder if a lot of it is water weight.

ETA: there were some weeks where I'd gain lbs. It all evens out.

bostonsmama
07-25-2010, 01:57 PM
I've had DAYS where I'd gain 2-3 lbs, but by another few days it evened out. Sometimes it was swelling/water retention, sometimes it was being backed up intestinally, other times it WAS a string of junky food choices and inactivity. I remember reading somewhere that after 23-24 weeks, the baby gains 6-8oz a week, so almost a half pound of your weight gain each week is baby (not you). That should give you some comfort. I like to weigh myself every to every other day so I can keep tabs on my intake & feel some incentive to make better (healthier) choices at my next meal. I've never struggled w/ anorexia or bulimia (although I was overweight for many years--so healthy weight gain is important to me), so this option makes sense for me. It also encourages me to make exercise a priority, clues me in as to my water intake, and allows me to pass on seconds or dessert.

swissair81
07-25-2010, 02:45 PM
Sometimes, I gain more than usual, but since digestion is slower during pregnancy, it kind of evens out at the end of the week. Not sure what's wrong with me now, but I'm 34 weeks & lost 4 lbs in the last week and a half. I can't eat anything.

luckytwenty
07-25-2010, 05:34 PM
It could also be water retention. It's hot outside! Are your rings/shoes tight? I know mine are!

swissair81
07-25-2010, 06:30 PM
I stopped wearing shoes about 2 weeks ago. Not only do my feet swell, but standing in shoes HURTS.

OctoberMommy2010
07-26-2010, 06:20 PM
I'm 29 weeks along and at last week's appointment I found out that I'd gained 7 lbs since my last appointment (4 weeks prior!!) Seven pounds - I about fell off the scale! My last three gains have been five, five and seven pounds. In fact, I got nervous and posted about it. The Mom's on here are very supportive. I (and they) know how you are feeling. I think what's probably most important is that your body knows what it's doing!

sunnyside
07-26-2010, 09:06 PM
I had some weeks like that. Overall I gained about 60 pounds during my pregnancy. I was horrified. I was fit and trim before and it really bothered me, but I tried not to worry about it. I gave birth to a perfectly healthy normal baby girl.

Since she was born 17 days ago, I've lost 20 pounds of the weight and am continuing to lose about a pound a day or so. I'm breastfeeding and watching what I eat, but I'm not being very restrictive because I don't want to alter my milk supply. Hope that helps some to read someone else's experience.

swissair81
07-26-2010, 10:01 PM
I will freely admit that at one appt during my last pregnancy, I appeared to have gained 14 lbs in one month. My doctor was freaking out so much that he made the nurse reweigh me post appt. It was 10 & he was still not happy. I then went on to not gain weight for the next 4 appts. I wasn't going near that doctor this time though. I don't need anyone freaking out at my weight in my presence.