PDA

View Full Version : Learning Resources Healthy Foods set - anybody else disappointed?

sansdieu
07-25-2010, 10:11 PM
Remember those were available at Costco for 19.99 for 3 meals (breakfast, lunch, dinner) around X-mas? I jumped on the bandwagon and bought one for DD. Just opened it today (I had enough stuff around X-mas), and I'm so disappointed. It's cheap, bendable plastic, and there are very few foods in each of the 3 baskets. In fact, I got the same basket, with about 5 times as many foods, at Target for about $3 a couple of weeks ago. Yes, these are a little more realistic-looking than the Target stuff, but it's still plastic, and they're so not worth nearly $7/ basket I paid for them.

WatchingThemGrow
07-25-2010, 10:17 PM
I like them. The variety and realism is great IMO. MIL thinks that we seriously leave a slice of cheese on the floor all.the.time. DD loves the baskets also. She uses them to clean up other stuff when I flip out and tell her I'm going to vacuum up any toys on the floor. The set gets constant use here. She actually served up a picnic lunch (a balanced meal!) to her 14yo cousin who visited today. Our cheap playfood dented and squished and got sold when I found these. Give it time. I think they may grow on you.

sansdieu
07-26-2010, 12:35 PM
Hmmm.... I was hoping for it to be a little more balanced (or at least a bit more similar to the kind of food I give her at home). But the dinner has starchy-sugary veggies (potato, corn and peas) AND bread AND grapes. (I haven't looked at the other two closely yet.) Massive carb overload, if you ask me ;)

I do like the baskets - but the $3 Target set came in the exact same basket, same size (but the one from Target was filled to the brim with fruit and veggies).

BayGirl2
07-26-2010, 05:03 PM
I just picked up the cloth food from Ikea and love it. They have a fruit set, veggie set, breakfast set, and dessert set, for around $4 each. Each comes with a basket or cutting board.

Very cute, DS likes it, but its also been the center of discussion with every adult who has visited our house lately.

DrSally
07-26-2010, 06:19 PM
I just picked up the cloth food from Ikea and love it. They have a fruit set, veggie set, breakfast set, and dessert set, for around $4 each. Each comes with a basket or cutting board.

Very cute, DS likes it, but its also been the center of discussion with every adult who has visited our house lately.

I was just at IKEA and didn't see any felt playfood. I'll have to put that on my list to check out next time (not like I need more playfood). The Playwonder stuff on clearance at Target now looks cute too.

sansdieu
07-26-2010, 08:18 PM

I didn't see any last time I was at Ikea (end of June). Is it a new item? Food makes from fabric sounds cool, though.

Seitvonzu
07-26-2010, 08:38 PM
i've been meaning to come on and post about the IKEA playfood. we bought some yesterday and it's REALLY cute. i would describe it as "fabric" food instead of "felt" food.

you can see it here:
http://www.ohdeedoh.com/ohdeedoh/toys-toddler/introducing-ikea-duktig-play-food-122416

(click under the big picture to see the other sets)

the breakfast set is 4.99 and the other sets are 6.99. i picked up fruits and veggies and will probably pick up the dessert set for lu's birthday (i don't know, we have a couple cakes (fabric, plastic decorating set), some cupcakes (recently got the playwonder at target), knit ice cream cones, wooden tiered server with tea treats) and i'm warming up to the breakfast (since i realized what some of the pieces are-- sandwich making stuff).

i really like the basket that comes with the fruit set. and the veggies have SO many for the price-- great value! :) we have tons of food but i just could not resist. our farm market is bursting :)

Seitvonzu
07-26-2010, 08:41 PM
looking at that i just realized that lu will have to have the cake/ice cream set for her birthday because....urm....there are THREE candles. and she'll be THREE :)

i have a problem and i know it :) that is all!

Seitvonzu
07-26-2010, 08:51 PM
dr sally-- we love playwonder food around here :) we have a mac & cheese set, lunch box set, various fruits/veg, and some other "sets" and they are all really cute. i have a hot cocoa set i can't wait to get out during the holidays this year and i have a shish ka bob set & "fair food" set that i should really get out for "summer." i bought the cupcake set and breakfast set from the target sale and would buy the pizza if it went 75% off (we've been waiting for the breakfast set to go on sale because of the maple syrup-- too cute)

gosh, i'm an addict.

DrSally
07-26-2010, 09:12 PM
dr sally-- we love playwonder food around here :) we have a mac & cheese set, lunch box set, various fruits/veg, and some other "sets" and they are all really cute. i have a hot cocoa set i can't wait to get out during the holidays this year and i have a shish ka bob set & "fair food" set that i should really get out for "summer." i bought the cupcake set and breakfast set from the target sale and would buy the pizza if it went 75% off (we've been waiting for the breakfast set to go on sale because of the maple syrup-- too cute)

gosh, i'm an addict.

:) I think it's cute too. I sent the link to the clearanced items to my SIL who was asking for ideas for DD. We already have so much playfood, but who can resist such cute stuff!

ETA: Gosh that IKEA stuff is cute and *such* a good price!

WatchingThemGrow
07-26-2010, 09:37 PM
Wow, that's a lot of playfood. My DC don't pick it up that well, so I sold all the stuff we had previously. All we have is the LR set *which I got for $4.97* and a plastic cutting food set. The other stuff is cute, but we're short on space and storage.

sansdieu
07-26-2010, 11:44 PM
looking at that i just realized that lu will have to have the cake/ice cream set for her birthday because....urm....there are THREE candles. and she'll be THREE :)

i have a problem and i know it :) that is all!

Same here. DD is turning 3 in a couple of months. And there's nothing that she loves more than walking around with a pretend cake and candles and singing "Happy Birthday." (She's been doing that since my birthday.)

Those Ikea sets are adorable. I wonder if DD will think fabric food is weird, compared to all the plastic food she has now...

sansdieu
07-26-2010, 11:45 PM
Wow, that's a lot of playfood. My DC don't pick it up that well, so I sold all the stuff we had previously. All we have is the LR set *which I got for $4.97* and a plastic cutting food set. The other stuff is cute, but we're short on space and storage.

You got all 3 (breakfast, lunch AND dinner) for $4.97?? Nice. I think it would have even been worth $10, but at $20, IMO, it's a little overpriced for what you get.

WatchingThemGrow
07-27-2010, 07:24 AM
You got all 3 (breakfast, lunch AND dinner) for $4.97?? Nice. I think it would have even been worth $10, but at $20, IMO, it's a little overpriced for what you get.Yes. Initially bought it for $20, then my friend saw it for $5. She grabbed me a new one so I could return the $$ one.