PDA

View Full Version : Do you like being pregnant?

luckytwenty
07-26-2010, 02:43 PM
I don't. And I am a total ingrate about it, too, especially this pregnancy, when I've had no morning sickness, a few isolated moments of heartburn, no sciatica, no back pain (yet!)--honestly, my only complaints are that I miss wine and raw sushi, miss long distance running, and miss my old clothes! My other two pregnancies were much worse.

Anyway, I LOVE being a mom. I love the newborn stage. I just don't like being big as a house, sweaty, and being stared at!! When I hear about what other people go through to have kids (from IF to pregnancy problems like bedrest, etc.) I feel so guilty. Now I do think hiccups are cute and loved the ultrasounds...but all in all, I can't wait to meet my baby boy!!! 14 weeks, 1 day to go! (But who is counting.)

cindys
07-26-2010, 02:55 PM
I loved loved loved being pregnant..I loved every single thing about it, good and bad...

I loved how I looked, how I felt (even while barfing), I loved buying cute clothes, I loved my changing body, the baby moving etc etc...

And I did have morning sickness with all 3 babies and some bedrest with 2 of them, so it wasnt all peachy keen but I still loved it.

Call me crazy but I also loved the newborn stage of being up every 2hrs to nurse and having a baby who was completly reliant on me..

It saddens me deeply to know I will never get to experience that again...The 3 times I was pregnant were the most magical..

Cindy
Mama to 3 boys...19, 4 & 21mos:love-retry::love-retry::love-retry:

HonoluluMom
07-26-2010, 02:56 PM
I LOVED, LOVED, LOVED being pregnant. Although I could pass on the morning sickness, I loved pretty much everything else. I liked having the belly, the changes that my body underwent, wearing the maternity clothes, the hiccups, the kicks/punches/rolls, ultrasounds, hearing baby's heartbeat, not being as nimble as I used to be, exercising/eating healthy for baby, etc.

LarsMal
07-26-2010, 03:43 PM
I LOVED being pregnant the first and second time around. With my second I had a few weeks of tailbone/coxic pain that I could've done without, but overall was happy with that pregnancy. My third one, though...ugh...I was begging for that one to be over!

pb&j
07-26-2010, 03:47 PM
Hated pretty much every second of being pregnant, though I really miss not having to suck in my stomach all the time.

misshollygolightly
07-26-2010, 04:26 PM
Loved being pregnant (had a relatively easy pregnancy), HATED the labor and delivery (and the 4th degree tear), HATED the postpartum period, not a huge fan of the newborn stage (or really the whole first six months), but pretty much loving having a 2 year old (except for those random tantrums).

Tanya
07-26-2010, 04:35 PM
I'd say that I really appreciate being pregnant. After spending years and thousands and tens of thousands of dollars just to get pregnant each time, I have always tried to enjoy the whole thing. I didn't care for morning sickness and I found the first trimester to be somewhat stressful. I love the 2nd trimester and feeling the baby/babies move. I get sore ribs which usually the chiropractor can help with, but it's not working this time for whatever reason. I love my belly and I love to just sit and watch or feel the movement. I didn't even really mind giving birth (without drugs), but I'd prefer not to go through back labor again. I really just wake up every morning and stroke my belly and tell my babies how much I love them. It's really such an amazing thing. This is my last time and it's twins. It's a bit more terrifying, but I'm still really enjoying it and am really excited.

I'm not a big fan of the newborn stage. I really like sleep. Ha ha. I think it gets better as it gets along though. The first smile is huge for me and the first giggle. I start really enjoying my babies when they start moving (crawling and walking) and talking. I actually LOVE age 2 years. Age 3 is hard, but I choose to find it amusing and remind myself that it will pass.

newg
07-26-2010, 04:39 PM
I love being pregnant...even with all the extra work I have to do as a diabetic. And being on bedrest has made me really appreciate what I was able to do as a pregnant lady before bedrest.

citymama
07-26-2010, 05:15 PM
First pregnancy - yucky first 12 weeks (nausea and exhaustion). Wonderful next 6 months (full of energy, looked and felt great). That pregnancy, overall, I'd say I loved being pregnant.

Second pregnancy - super duper yucky first SIX months (nausea, heinous heartburn, strong food aversions, everything smelled awful, varicose veins, you name it, I felt it!). Pretty good third trimester.

Still, overall, I decided I never wanted to be pregnant again! Love the products of pregnancy, but not crazy about being preggo!

sste
07-26-2010, 05:25 PM
Love the products of pregnancy, but not crazy about being preggo!

This! I think I like my maternity clothes more than my regular clothes (DH dragged me to a really cute local boutique and I must say the man has excellent taste). And adore my new bravado bra and a few gifts of earth mama sprays/lotions I rec'd. I also love some of the rituals and special times, like childbirth class or the structural ultrasound.

But, I go from one kind of sick to the other across the trimesters. My whole emotional system is very sensitive to hormonal and life change and I am all weepy . . . or manic and obsesssive about errands and baby prep. It is a hard time for me not having my mother able to visit or help out an no other family to speak of - - kind of like the holidays can be hard for people. I gain fifty pounds and would look freaking horrible if it weren't for the interventions of dh, clothing shop sales ladies, and my amazing hairdresser. I crave sugar all the time and probably spend more time thinking about food than about the new baby. And my energy level sucks and I get nothing done at work. I wish I was one of those people that never feel better than in pregnancy . . . but in reality I do not think I can do this again.

sunnyside
07-26-2010, 09:09 PM
I loved being pregnant and hope hope hope that I'll be able to do it again. I love my little girl and enjoyed doing my best to take care of her while she was growing inside me.

DrSally
07-26-2010, 09:27 PM
I really liked being pregnant and am kind of sad I'll never experience that again. I liked seeing my belly grow, buying cute clothes, dreaming about the baby, etc. My first preg, I felt better and was able to take better care of myself. So, I'd say the 2nd was less enjoyable b/c I felt nauseous most of the time, rather than just a few weeks, and didn't really have the time to wear the cute clothes I had or meditate on the baby inside me as much as with the first.

WatchingThemGrow
07-26-2010, 09:34 PM
Felt blessed to BE pregnant. Did not enjoy the multitude of side effects from being pregnant. My discomfort was a constant reminder to pray for the little one growing inside me. Kinda like, "Good LORD, grow this baby and get him out of me easily."

swissair81
07-26-2010, 09:36 PM
Overall, I love being pregnant. I have some pretty lousy pregnancy side effects that are hard, but that doesn't take away from the love of being able to grow my children. Also, I love labor & delivery. Not just because of the 'birth experience' either. I love the process of becoming a new mommy all over again.

happymom
07-26-2010, 09:39 PM
Kinda like, "Good LORD, grow this baby and get him out of me easily."

:ROTFLMAO:That cracked me up.

I looooved being pregnant. We had a long, tough 6-year journey getting there, so it was very special for me/us. I was also lucky enough to have an extremely easy and symptom free pregnancy, from beginning to end. Certainly makes it easier to enjoy the pregnancy!!

Oh, and not having to worry about sucking in my stomach was certainly a big plus!! I miss that now...

ewpmsw
07-27-2010, 03:36 PM
I don't love being pregnant. I'm grateful to have had two pretty uneventful pregnancies and am sad this will probably be the last time I'll experience all the cool things involved. I don't like the moodiness and discomfort and anxiety I've experienced both times, and I'm dreading postpartum now that I know how bad it can be - I feel like having that dread hanging over us is making things a lot less enjoyable.

I do love feeling my daughter move, knowing that she's safe and growing inside of me and that we'll be meeting her in a couple of weeks.

nrp
07-27-2010, 03:57 PM
I love it, too. I very much want another child (DH is still on the fence), and at least one small part of it is that I'd like to be pregnant one last time. I haven't had too many issues (other than GD with DS, but in the end that just made me eat healthier and exercise more), no MS, and I love patting on that big round belly!

fumofu
07-27-2010, 08:22 PM
I'm enjoying my pregnancy. I count my lucky stars that it's been an uneventful, smooth ride so far.

The good: Threw up only a couple times during my 1st trimester, have been steadily gaining weight, eating all kinds of food (healthy and not-so-much), enjoying elastic waist pants more than I had thought.

The bad: Heartburn was not so fun couple weeks ago. I'm hot and I go potty all the time. Feet, ankles and hands are swollen all the time now. Back gets sore often. But I can deal with all of this, because I am looking forward to diving into parenthood with DH.

DH has been very good to me and belly. The poor thing's on high alert these days though, waking up while I wake up in the middle of the night to pee (we're due any day now).

I know it'll be more difficult if we get pregnant again, juggling with DC1. But I wouldn't mind repeating this all over again in the future!

brgnmom
07-27-2010, 08:40 PM
I've unexpectedly loved being pregnant more during this 2nd time around versus my 1st time around. I think it's b/c I knew what to expect and I have a better support system. I was the first one out of childhood friends to get married and pregnant, and I didn't really have anyone else to talk to about my pregnancy -- except of course my DH and OB.

I've enjoyed this pregnancy so much and how my DS is looking forward to having a baby sister. I would be open to getting pregnant again w/ a closer age gap, since we have more support out on the west coast w/ my relatives being nearby.

wencit
07-27-2010, 09:08 PM
The first time around wasn't too bad, because everything was a totally new experience. With the second one.....let's just say if I could have fast forwarded 9 months and had my baby magically pop into my hands, I would have done it.

egoldber
07-28-2010, 07:26 AM
I don't mind the second trimester, but I can do without the first and third.

In retrosepct, I wish I had been more appreciative of my first, trouble-free pregnancy.

oneontheway
07-28-2010, 08:07 AM
I have enjoyed being pregnant! Although I do miss my wine on occasion. Each pregnancy has been a little harder on me since I have less time to take care of myself and have had progressive back problems with each pregnancy. It is truly is a miracle!

hdubs
07-28-2010, 10:28 AM
Overall, I'd say I'm not a fan of being pregnant... I thought I would be, and I am so ridiculously excited about the day I get to hold my baby, but I could do without a lot of the pregnancy stuff. It's nice to know i'm not the only one!
I've got 14 weeks left until I'm due, and pretty much since I got pregnant I haven't been able to sleep (just uncomfortable all the time), so I'm just kind of worn out all the time. Never got that 2nd tm "energy boost". I'm normally an active person, so the exhaustion coupled with not being able to do a lot of the things I liked to do before getting pregnant has been tough. Also, I love my job, and because of safety reasons, I can't do my job as an instructor pilot and instead I sit behind a desk all day (for the first time in my life). I also am not a fan of being pregnant during the ~95+ deg Mississippi summer! And while I know I shouldn't be stressing over it, the whole getting huge thing is tough for me...
All that said, I think it's totally worth it. I've dreamed about being a Mom for a long, long time and I can't wait to raise a family. I hope to be lucky enough to go through this whole pregnancy thing a couple more times :)

candaceb
07-28-2010, 10:39 AM
It has taken me a long time (4+ years) to get to this point, and I really am loving being pregnant. I especially like watching my belly move as a random knee or elbow goes from one side to the other. I don't know if we'll have other baby due to the combination of infertility and finances, so I'm trying to savor every minute right now.

bostonsmama
07-28-2010, 10:57 AM
Even though this is my 6th pg and first one to go this far, there are definitely aspects about pg that I hate--the biggest one for me would be the early days when things are so uncertain. I get serious anxiety.

Other things I don't like: nightmares about the baby dying after birth (this is normal, though), weight gain, throwing up/nausea, getting tired easily, not being able to run or eat whatever I want

What I love: everything else--the promise of a child in my arms, the kicks and punches in utero, having an increased metabolism & being able to eat, eat, eat, not having to suck it in, thicker nails/hair, better skin (for me), shopping/dreaming about our little girl to come...it's all so magical, wonderful and special after all these years. I could do w/out the other stuff, but overall, I'm okay w/ pg if the ultimate goal is met. :)

MamaMolly
07-28-2010, 11:53 AM
With DD1 yes, I loved it. With DD2? Not so much. Rotten enough I thought I'd NEVER consider it again, but DD2 is such a sweet baby I can help but fantasize now and then. :)

elektra
07-28-2010, 12:16 PM
Hated just about every second of it. Maybe it was ok for about 5 minutes in my second trimester.

lil_acorn
07-28-2010, 01:23 PM
Loved it the first time, grateful and enjoyed it the 2nd time (after 2 m/c) but with this 3rd, I must confess, the time is dragging!!! I'll be happy to have a little one in my arms in 23 short weeks (but who's counting LOL!).

SnuggleBuggles
07-28-2010, 01:58 PM
I love it. :) Felt my healthiest ever. Probably true as my endocrinologist just told me the other day that that could be true- everything all in good balance. I also like the attention. I really enjoy the special moments when it's baby and me and I can enjoy that private, special connection.

Beth

JenaW
07-28-2010, 02:42 PM
I thought I did. But I have to admit, I am so NOT loving it this time around. Perhaps it is because I am "older?" tho at 34, I'm certainly not "old.". Perhaps it is because it is my 10th pregnancy in 11 years? Who knows. And I feel TOTALLY guilty complaining at all wen I have so many friends and aquaintenances and patients trying desperately for just one and here I am pregnant with my 6th. But I have to tell you - at barely 8 weeks I am FED UP with the "morning sickness" (what a misnomer), tired of the twice daily heparin injections that make me look like a battered woman (and tired of explaining WHY I am black and blue to well-meaning strangers), stressing over every single twinge and cramp after having 4 miscarriages, a prom at 22 weeks with a subsequent 25 week delivery, and a prom at 35 5/7 weeks.

All of that said though, I am fully appreciative and thankful for the 5 blessings I already have, and very jouful that we are getting to do it again.

dylansnan
07-28-2010, 03:49 PM
I thought I did. But I have to admit, I am so NOT loving it this time around. Perhaps it is because I am "older?" tho at 34, I'm certainly not "old.". Perhaps it is because it is my 10th pregnancy in 11 years? Who knows. And I feel TOTALLY guilty complaining at all wen I have so many friends and aquaintenances and patients trying desperately for just one and here I am pregnant with my 6th. But I have to tell you - at barely 8 weeks I am FED UP with the "morning sickness" (what a misnomer), tired of the twice daily heparin injections that make me look like a battered woman (and tired of explaining WHY I am black and blue to well-meaning strangers), stressing over every single twinge and cramp after having 4 miscarriages, a prom at 22 weeks with a subsequent 25 week delivery, and a prom at 35 5/7 weeks.

All of that said though, I am fully appreciative and thankful for the 5 blessings I already have, and very jouful that we are getting to do it again.

J-Is this you outing yourself?!?! :boogie: Congrats!!!

~Cindy

Fairy
07-28-2010, 04:02 PM
I loved being pregnant. I lost 20 lbs pregnant -- real fat lbs -- I never looked better, I never felt better about myself. I wore trendy, tight, belly-showing clothing, and I know I looked good. I had a high risk, difficult pregnancy in many ways, and the end was ... it was horrible. But overall, I did love being pregnant, looked great, felt great, and ... what I got was great!

brittone2
07-28-2010, 04:36 PM
Congrats, JenaW!!!

teedeedee
07-28-2010, 10:06 PM
I'm 36 weeks and getting to the point where I'm super exhausted and am not sleeping well. I also have a lot of sciatic nerve and hip pain. And really, I'm massive and it is H.O.T.

However, I still love being pregnant. We had to do fertility for me to get pregnant with DD and this baby was an incredible surprise for us. I consider myself truly blessed and love everything about being pregnant. I love feeling baby move. I love watching my belly. This will probably be our last DC and so, even with the complaints I already listed, I am trying to cherish every moment.

Now I'm all teary eyed. Hormones, anyone?

bubbaray
07-28-2010, 10:37 PM
Absolutely not. NO no no. I do not like the state of being PG AT ALL. I like the end result (baby). I like achieving PGy (both of my girls are the result of IUI + fertility drugs). But, I do NOT like being PG. I hate the feeling of another life inside of me. I never got used to it and the whole time felt like the movie Alien.

boltfam
07-29-2010, 03:09 PM
Absolutely not. NO no no. I do not like the state of being PG AT ALL. I like the end result (baby).

:yeahthat: 9 months of feeling like I could throw up at any minute, being sore, being emotional, and feeling fat. After DS, I somehow convinced myself that it wasn't so bad and that my second pregnancy would be better. It wasn't. After DD was born, I can't tell you how many times I said, "I'm just so glad NOT to be pregnant anymore."