PDA

View Full Version : When did you stop strenth/weight training?

oneontheway
07-26-2010, 03:02 PM
I'm curious when most people stop working out with weights while pregnant. My routine is about an hour long 2x week and at 27 weeks its getting more challenging but its certaintly doable. Just wondering if I will be able to hang in there the entire 40 weeks (of course with some modifications).
Also when did you pick it back up post prego?

MegBoz
07-26-2010, 03:20 PM
I didn't stop.
I read the book, "Exercising Through your Pregnancy" by Dr. Clapp, which I found fascinating & great motivation to NOT drop off on my routine! :)

I only stopped teaching aerobics at 38 Weeks because I wanted to sleep in & not get up for my 9 AM Saturday class.

I stopped lifting weights at 40 weeks only because if I heard, "No baby yet?" "Still pregnant?" i was going to ATTACK the person, so I couldn't go to the gym. ;)

I started back up walking, easy & slow, when DS was 4 days old. Went back to the gym to lift when he was 4 weeks old (but not regularly yet). Teaching aerobics started back up at 7 weeks.

wellyes
07-26-2010, 03:39 PM
I stopped right before third trimester. It wasn't medically necessary to do but I was just so tired. I have NO regrets for taking it easy.

I'm 4 weeks PP now and ready to start up again.

LarsMal
07-26-2010, 03:40 PM
There is a woman in my body pump class who looks like she is ready to pop any day now. The instructor is also pregnant- I think about 7 months or so- and she has no plan to stop. I think she is only going to be out until she gets the 6 week pp clear from her OB.

I think you can keep going as long as you are comfortable with it, just make some modifications as you get bigger- that might include lightening up a little on the weight for some of the exercises you do and making sure to keep your balance.

The body pump class is an hour long. The only thing the pregnant women don't do is the ab section, but they do all of the other weight lifting. I've noticed the instructor changes her foot position for some of the exercises to help with her balance.

HTH!

pb&j
07-26-2010, 03:43 PM
Never! My last workout was 2 days before each of my kids were born. I ran (till about 20 weeks) walked, swam laps, did the elliptical, and lifted weights throughout my pregnancies.

I had really easy, uncomplicated vaginal deliveries and was back in the gym within 2-3 weeks of giving birth. I could not wait to start working out again! ETA: I started walking daily with both kids just a few days after delivery. After DD was born, I was running within 2 weeks, and ran a 5K when she was 6 weeks old exactly.