PDA

View Full Version : Do you pay for a mothers' group membership?

boogiemomz
07-27-2010, 11:00 AM
Not MOMS, I've heard bad things about that. This is a local mothers' group w/ a $15/year dues. Membership includes (quoted text with snips):

many members-only activities and resources, ...age-matched Playgroups, ... online discussion forums, ...our coveted Preschool /Parents Morning Out Directory, join other families at local play-spots, have fun with other moms who share your interests, find a great preschool or Parents Morning Out program, share information with other moms, etc

Is it worth it to do something like this? We just moved back to an area we lived in before, so already have lots of friends but we've never lived here as parents before, so getting in on some of these resources sounds pretty nice to me. Just feels a little like I'm paying for friends. What do you think?

stonecali
07-27-2010, 11:03 AM
I pay yearly dues of $20 for my mom's group. I would pay more! It is so worth it for the playgroups and the local message board/resources.

TwinFoxes
07-27-2010, 11:08 AM
I belong to two mothers of multiples groups that have annual dues of around $12 each. That's a bargain if you ask me! Compare that to cable TV. :)

infocrazy
07-27-2010, 11:18 AM
Yes, the meetup groups I belong to are around $10-15 a year. I figure a $1 a month is pretty good for the events and get togethers.

Nechums
07-27-2010, 11:22 AM
I don't have anything like that, but $15 a year seems like peanuts for such a great resource. Heck, I pay for than $15 a class for Music Together!

luv2bmommy
07-27-2010, 11:33 AM
Mine is $20/year and I agree with PP's, that is nothing at all compared with what you get out.

♥ms.pacman♥
07-27-2010, 11:43 AM
Mine is $20/year and I agree with PP's, that is nothing at all compared with what you get out.

:yeahthat:

i do't think of it as "paying for friends" at all. for the groups i'm in it basically covers the use of websites/resources to schedule events and all that. $15-$20 a year is nothing IMO. it's cheaper than going to see a therapist due to the insanity/depression that often comes along with staying inside the house all day without any sort of adult human contact :)

pomegranate
07-27-2010, 01:26 PM
I pay $35 a year and think it's well worth it. Covers the expenses of the club. Our club also puts on great family parties and if you attend them all, you're definitely getting more than your $35 worth of dues.

boogiemomz
07-27-2010, 03:03 PM
Thanks for the input! I had no idea these were so common, and it sounds like they are really worth it! I'm glad to hear it, as I was kind of wanting to do it but have that knee jerk reaction whenever something has a fee... "Is this something I need, or can I get the same thing on my own with a little leg work?" I emailed the moderator about the next new member welcome meeting. Kind of excited... :shy:

citymama
07-27-2010, 03:14 PM
Erm, the SF moms group (GGMG) has $75 annual dues and about 4000 members, so I guess they think it's worth it! I was a member when dues were about $50 a year and I actually benefited a lot - not from playgroups, which I never did, but the FS/Free listings. monthly newsletters and discounts and the cool events they organized. I'm thinking of rejoining now that I have a new baby again.

wencit
07-27-2010, 03:55 PM
Erm, the SF moms group (GGMG) has $75 annual dues and about 4000 members, so I guess they think it's worth it! Wow, those are the highest dues I've heard of! I guess everything IS more expensive in the city! :p Of course, I'd still pay $75/year in a heartbeat, too, LOL! As a PP said, way cheaper than therapy.

nrp
07-27-2010, 03:59 PM
I think our dues are $25 for our large local group. I don't do a lot of activities (this thread is making me think I should get more involved), but I love the emails and referral archives.

PMJ
07-27-2010, 05:29 PM
I am part of meet-up group that is about $12 / year. And (unlike others), I'm not really understanding the cost... IMO - the leader just plans events, which sometimes are suggested by other members. Whenever we meet or go anywhere -- we still have to pay for entrance; it's not like we get a discount. She said that it costs $$ to have a Meet-up site, which I understand; but I still think she is making some $$ of us.

$12.00 * 50 members = 600.00 / year.

It shouldn't / can't cost that much to have a site thru meetup for 1 yr IMO.

I guess if you are not worried about the $$, then just do it. I'm not worried about the $, just not understanding the principle.

newg
07-27-2010, 05:34 PM
All we have around here,that I know of, are various MOPS groups. Is this the group a PP mentioned to avoid? If it is...I am curios why.

carolinamama
07-27-2010, 06:03 PM
That doesn't sound bad at all. I do MOPS and it costs me $75 per semester! Of course that pays for great organized childcare during meetings and other supplies but $15 seems cheap.

♥ms.pacman♥
07-27-2010, 06:09 PM
All we have around here,that I know of, are various MOPS groups. Is this the group a PP mentioned to avoid? If it is...I am curios why.

no i think she was talking about MOMS club. i've never joined, but i think i've seen a few ppl here complain about how they weren't a fan of some of the rules and the general attitude towards working mothers.. i think the club is for stay-at-home moms only, and to be a member you can't have any job at all that you get paid for. i'm a SAHM but that rule kinda turned me off a bit too, since i plan to reenter the workforce in a couple years.

Swimfreak78
07-27-2010, 06:10 PM
How do you find one of these groups? Recently moved and would love to find one in the Chicago area.

PMJ
07-27-2010, 06:13 PM
How do you find one of these groups? Recently moved and would love to find one in the Chicago area.

try Meetup.com and search for Mommy groups etc..

♥ms.pacman♥
07-27-2010, 06:25 PM
I am part of meet-up group that is about $12 / year. And (unlike others), I'm not really understanding the cost... IMO - the leader just plans events, which sometimes are suggested by other members. Whenever we meet or go anywhere -- we still have to pay for entrance; it's not like we get a discount. She said that it costs $$ to have a Meet-up site, which I understand; but I still think she is making some $$ of us.

$12.00 * 50 members = 600.00 / year.

It shouldn't / can't cost that much to have a site thru meetup for 1 yr IMO.

I guess if you are not worried about the $$, then just do it. I'm not worried about the $, just not understanding the principle.

i have a few friends who are organizers for groups on Meetup. one of them told me (and i looked it up to confirm) that it costs $12/mo just to have a site on there (so almost $150/year). one of my friends organizes a singles group on Meetup hosts things like mixers/speed dating events, which can cost hundreds of dollars just to book the room/hall where it is held. so while they sometimes charge a fee to attend events like these, it probably doesn't cover all the costs...some it probably comes out of the member dues.

i give a lot of credit to the the moms of little ones who manage these groups and organize events bc i know i could never have the time/energy to handle it all myself. in a previous life (pre-DS) i've organized social events before and it was somewhat difficult & complicated then, i can't imagine doing it with a baby.

belovedgandp
07-27-2010, 07:03 PM
Start looking for playgroups and moms groups in your area.

I am in a MOMS Club and have loved it. It's all about finding other people staying at home with small kids. There are a lot of people doing it in some areas, but finding them can be hard. Plus if you're like me and need out of the house a lot that takes a whole other type of personality.

It's definitely a check it out and see the feel of each group. Some mother's groups I've been in have been more focused on social/evening activities when I was looking for daytime. The MOPS in my area are pretty expensive and focus on the two meetings a month during the day, but not much else.

hellokitty
07-28-2010, 12:17 AM
Our MOMS Club is $20/yr. It is IMO CHEAP, for what I get out of being a part of this group. I'd pay much more if they asked me to. I've always found it very odd that some moms balk at paying the $20 (these are ppl who can afford it). I mean organized activities that you don't have to organize on your own? $20 is a steal!

essnce629
07-28-2010, 05:28 AM
I pay $30 a year for my MOMS Club and really like it. It's not just SAHM's either. Several of the moms in my playgroup WOH. Once a month we have a group social and have a guest speaker (EMT, ped. dentist, etc) come talk to the group which is nice.

TwinFoxes
07-28-2010, 07:37 AM
I actually benefited a lot - not from playgroups, which I never did, but the FS/Free listings. monthly newsletters and discounts and the cool events they organized.

I just wanted to give a big :yeahthat: to this. One of my groups I don't do much social stuff with, but they have good speakers, and their classifieds are great. Whenever I read about Craigslist woes on here, I feel lucky that I can sell stuff to other club members...it's also how I got our new condition Learning Tower for $80. :) Also, we had to supplement with formula, and people were always offering their Enfamil checks for free.

kristac
07-28-2010, 08:32 AM
I belong to a mommies network site which is free. But if that was not available I would definately pay $$ for such support. They have been invaluable to me.

(Check them out- they have sites all over the country!)
http://www.themommiesnetwork.org/index.shtml

boogiemomz
07-28-2010, 09:53 AM
I belong to a mommies network site which is free. But if that was not available I would definately pay $$ for such support. They have been invaluable to me.

(Check them out- they have sites all over the country!)
http://www.themommiesnetwork.org/index.shtml

That is great! They have one for my area so I'm going to join that too! And I'm going to the mom's group new member welcome this morning as soon as DD wakes up. Thanks so much for all the input!