PDA

View Full Version : Itinerary critique

caribbeanmama
07-27-2010, 01:26 PM
Hi all,

I am slowly putting together a possible itinerary for our stay at WDW. Can you please give me your honest feedback? I really would like to do the CP character meal, but the only spot available is lunch on our arrival day (we are doing the dinining plan). That has me a bit concerned, but we'll see.

Itinerary:

Sunday, August 1
Arrival (appr. @11 a.m. or earlier)
Check in at the Polynesian Resort
Lunch: The Crystal Palace at Magic Kingdom 12:50 p.m.

Rest of day at Magic Kingdom

Dinner: Open

Monday, August 2
Breakfast: Ohana at Polynesian Resort 8:25 a.m.

Park: Magic Kingdom

Lunch: Open

Break for rest and naps

Tuesday, August 3
Breakfast: Open

Park: Animal Kingdom

Break for rest and naps

Wednesday, August 4
Breakfast: Cape May Café (Beach Club) 7:50 a.m.

Park: Epcot

Break for rest and naps

Dinner: Kona Café at Polynesian 5:20 p.m.

IllumiNations Fireworks at Epcot 9:00 p.m.

Thursday, August 5
Check out: 11:00 a.m. (depart in late afternoon)
Theme Park: Open
Visit Disney’s Hollywood Studios or go back to any other theme park.

After thought: We will at WDW from 8/8 - 8/14 also, but at an off-site resort during that time.

fivi2
07-27-2010, 01:44 PM
Well, everyone has different methods and priorities.

The main issue I see is that you do not have a rope drop anywhere, but it is most impt for you (I would think) at Magic Kingdom. Arrival day you get there midday (HOT!). I doubt you will make CP lunch that day - not sure when your plane gets in. (We thought the food was so bad this past May that I will not return to CP, but YMMV. The characters and setting are fun though) Then the next day you have breakfast ADRS. I am guessing it will be after 10:00 before you get to MK. Fantasyland will be swamped by then and the wait to see fairies or princesses will be long (most likely). With young kids, getting there early worked best for us.

I like tusker house breakfast at AK, and would try to do that your AK day - either the very first breakfast seating or the last breakfast seating (more of a brunch). IMO with non-coaster riders, rope drop at AK isn't critical, but it does get very hot and very crowded there, so earlier is better.

Your Epcot day concerns me. It seems busy, but I am not as familiar with those locations, etc. My girls enjoyed innoventions and world showcase at EP, and didn't like much in future world. WS gets hot though!

I am not sure how the nap thing will work out for you. We tried it our first trip (staying at Grand Flor) and it was a big pain. this last trip, we just stayed at the parks till early afternoon and then left for the day. But everyone tours differently.

You need to look at each park and try to get an idea of what you want to do. For my girls, shows, characters, and parades were more important than rides, but some kids are afraid of characters and bored by shows!

Good luck! I think the park order is fine, but you may need to tweak meals and naps and getting around. It takes time to get places!

(we skipped DHS)

clc053103
07-27-2010, 02:26 PM
We actually like the afternoon nap/rest- gives older kids pool time too- you will find the early afternoon is often the busiest and hottest time of the day in the parks, so it's not a bad time to leave. then everyone is refreshed for the evening. We also don't do rope drop but we don't have autograph seekers in our group either! Just be flexible- if the afternoon nap schedule isn't working for your family, then change it.

I would definitely suggest trying to get an adr for one meal a day it is included in the ddp- if you look now you can find some but I wouldn't count on walk ups anywhere. we love Yak and Yeti at AK for lunch (nice air conditioned break!) and it is usually easier to get a reservation there.

I would suggest at Poly you request a room to the right of the entrance, towards the TTC- that way you can walk easily to the TTC and get back and forth to Epcot much easier!

sewarsh
07-27-2010, 04:28 PM
What is "rope drop"?
Thanks.

fivi2
07-27-2010, 04:38 PM
What is "rope drop"?
Thanks.

arriving when the park opens for the day (or about 15 minutes prior). Sorry - I spent too much time on the disboards before our trip last May. :) Some people don't worry about it, but I found the parks much less crowded during that first hour or so. We were able to get a lot accomplished during that time. And in the August heat, earlier is better, imo.

egoldber
07-27-2010, 08:41 PM
Itinerary:

Sunday, August 1
Arrival (appr. @11 a.m. or earlier)
Check in at the Polynesian Resort
Lunch: The Crystal Palace at Magic Kingdom 12:50 p.m.

Rest of day at Magic Kingdom

No way will you make that lunch. I would do a dinner that day instead.

Monday, August 2
Breakfast: Ohana at Polynesian Resort 8:25 a.m.
Park: Magic Kingdom
Break for rest and naps

I think you are staying at the Poly? Can you get an 8am breakfast? Then you could get to the MK by 9.

Tuesday, August 3
Park: Animal Kingdom
Break for rest and naps

How about breakfast at the Rainforest Cafe at the AK? Honestly I thought it was the best meal we had on our last trip and the restaurant was empty!

Wednesday, August 4
Breakfast: Cape May Café (Beach Club) 7:50 a.m.
Park: Epcot
Break for rest and naps
Dinner: Kona Café at Polynesian 5:20 p.m.
IllumiNations Fireworks at Epcot 9:00 p.m.

Do you have a car? If not, getting to Cape May by 7:50 is going to mean leaving the Poly VERY early.

Thursday, August 5
Check out: 11:00 a.m. (depart in late afternoon)
Theme Park: Open
Visit Disney’s Hollywood Studios or go back to any other theme ark.

No thoughts. :)

caribbeanmama
07-27-2010, 10:43 PM
Sorry Beth, don't know how to multi-quote...

[QUOTE=egoldber;2802360]Itinerary:

No way will you make that lunch. I would do a dinner that day instead.

Yep, you're right. I have canceled this. We will do all CS meals on that day.

I think you are staying at the Poly? Can you get an 8am breakfast? Then you could get to the MK by 9.

I switched the Ohana breakfast for our last day instead. This will give us time to get to MK by 9.

How about breakfast at the Rainforest Cafe at the AK? Honestly I thought it was the best meal we had on our last trip and the restaurant was empty!

Great! Will look into that.

Do you have a car? If not, getting to Cape May by 7:50 is going to mean leaving the Poly VERY early.

Yes, we will have our car. DD really likes Minnie, hence the character breakfast :D Are we going to be able to walk to HS from Cape May Cafe?

Thanks!

clc053103
07-28-2010, 08:15 AM
Are we going to be able to walk to HS from Cape May Cafe?

Thanks!

It's about a 10 minute walk, OR you can just walk out to the dock and take a Friendship Boat over. DC may enjoy taking the boat.

egoldber
07-28-2010, 08:20 AM
Are we going to be able to walk to HS from Cape May Cafe?

Do you mean Epcot or DHS? Your plan above said Epcot. Epcot is about a 5 minute walk. DHS is about a 20 minute walk. Unless you are able to walk right onto a boat, it is probably faster to walk than to take a boat.

caribbeanmama
07-28-2010, 10:46 AM
Do you mean Epcot or DHS? Your plan above said Epcot. Epcot is about a 5 minute walk. DHS is about a 20 minute walk. Unless you are able to walk right onto a boat, it is probably faster to walk than to take a boat.

Yes, that's what I meant, EPCOT. I also have some questions re: Epcot, Beth. I was thinking we could have dinner at Epcot before the fireworks. The Unofficial Guide to WDW recommends the San Angel Inn to get a good view of the fireworks as well as, the British pub, Rose and Crown, I think? ADR's at these places are only available early (4 pm ish). Should we do dinner at one of these places, instead of taking the monorail back to the Poly for dinner?

I definitely think we should take a break at some point before the fireworks, hence the idea of going back to the Poly and then doing a 5:20 pm dinner at Kona Cafe. Then, we could monorail back to Epcot for fireworks. My only concern with this plan is not getting a good spot for viewing the fireworks when we return since I read people start claiming spots around 6:30, yikes!

What do you think? Since you have lots of experience with Epcot, what would be a sensible plan for doing this park? We will have grandparents with us too on that day. TIA, TIA, TIA!

egoldber
07-29-2010, 08:53 AM
I think that's OK. If it were me, I might head back a little earlier to Epcot and eat there. We have never staked out a spot for Illuminations. Even if you stand at the back of a crowd, it's not that big of a deal. The real issue is finding a place where the trees don't obstruct your view of the Earth. We typically watch in what is called the "Showcase Paza", the area in between FutureWorld and the World Showcase OR on the bridge between France and England.

caribbeanmama
07-29-2010, 10:42 AM
Thanks fivi2, clc053103 and Beth for your feedback. Three days to go :boogie:

clc053103
07-29-2010, 11:25 AM
Thanks fivi2, clc053103 and Beth for your feedback. Three days to go :boogie:

I am excited for you!!!! Have a great time, be flexible and let your family be your guide as to how much you want to fit into one day! And don't forget to post when you get back. I love love love the Poly!