PDA

View Full Version : DIY speech therapy resources?

luza
07-27-2010, 02:15 PM
DD is almost 6 and has some trouble with saying "r" sounds. We were at her ped yesterday and he said he thought she should see a speech therapist but couldn't recommend one. We are overseas and I have doubts about the quality of any we might turn up here. Can anyone suggest online resources or books that might help us diagnose and work with her at home? DH and all his family can't say "th" and I had speech therapy as a child so I'm afraid she may have gotten our bad genes...

Gena
07-27-2010, 02:40 PM
Super Duper Publications has great products for speech therapy:

http://www.superduperinc.com/default.aspx

They also have a lot of free handouts available (link on the sidebar). If you use the pulll down topics to search the handouts for "articulation", you will probably find some that can help you.

However, the "r" sound is one of the last to develop and many kids don't gain it until age 7, so if that's her only issue I wouldn't worry yet.

luza
07-27-2010, 04:40 PM
Thanks Gena! I had heard that the "r" sound develops late but then started getting worried about other sounds when our pedi mentioned it. I admit that I no longer really notice DH's lisp and I'm afraid that DD is mispronouncing other sounds and I'm not noticing. I may end up waiting until school starts and see what her teachers say. We are a bilingual family and most of the people around us have accents when they speak English so that isn't helping matters.

cchavez
07-27-2010, 05:09 PM
I am an slp, I would wait until she is older.

luza
07-28-2010, 02:28 PM
Thanks cchavez, you are making feel better.

tny915
07-28-2010, 04:36 PM
Deleted...Starting my own thread

mom2binsd
07-28-2010, 05:04 PM
I am an slp, I would wait until she is older.

I'm an SLP too and I agree, R is tricky, there are so many variations of R as well, and it often "comes on it's own" somewhere between 6 and 8....in the schools it's not usually a sound worked on until 2nd grade.