PDA

View Full Version : Traveling to NY city w/infant - ease of travel?

PMJ
07-27-2010, 06:12 PM
Posting this again, b/c I replied to a current thread instead of a new one.

There will be 5 adults plus DD and we are all traveling to New York city for about 4-5 days. Please tell me which of the options below seems most "Logical/Cost efficient". My mother is being DIFFICULT and does not believe me:

Different options

1) We rent a Van and drive from VA. This will cost about $425 for 1 week. (benefits - will have Van in NY and ease of traveling into the city)

2) Fly to NY and rent a Van when we get to NY. Airline ticket will be $140, plus cost of renting, which will be HIGH.

3) Fly to NY and do not rent a Van. Get around w/ subway. Obviously DD will be in a stroller. How do people travel in NY w/ infants in a taxi?

I hope your answers will allow us to figure this out!

Thanks

cuca_
07-27-2010, 06:25 PM
I think your best option is 3. You can also bring an infant seat that can be strapped without a base (like a Graco) and use this in a taxi. I think a lot of people use taxis without seats, but I would not feel comfortable doing that.

I think when you think about the options with the van, you have to take into consideration parking, which is very expensive in the city. Also, I think driving from one point to another could be painful during certain hours.

Traveling by subway is not bad, between the subway and walking, it will be pretty easy to get around. You can also use buses, but I am not familiar with the bus system, because I do not live in the city. Make sure you take a light stroller with you, because I have had to carry the stroller in stations where the elevator is not working.

HTH

♥ms.pacman♥
07-27-2010, 06:33 PM
]I think your best option is 3. [/B] You can also bring an infant seat that can be strapped without a base (like a Graco) and use this in a taxi. I think a lot of people use taxis without seats, but I would not feel comfortable doing that.

I think when you think about the options with the van, you have to take into consideration parking, which is very expensive in the city. Also, I think driving from one point to another could be painful during certain hours.

Traveling by subway is not bad, between the subway and walking, it will be pretty easy to get around. You can also use buses, but I am not familiar with the bus system, because I do not live in the city. Make sure you take a light stroller with you, because I have had to carry the stroller in stations where the elevator is not working.

HTH

i've been to NYC but never with DS, however earlier this month i spent a week with DS & DH in downtown Toronto (which i imagine may be similar in terms of getting around). we did not have a car the entire time we were there and just got around by walking/subway. it worked out well. a car would have been a pain and not to mention expensive to rent, and as cuca_ mentioned, parking fees are ridiculous, not to mention traffic would be an issue too. we had a lightweight stroller (Mac Volo) which was super-useful not just for the subway but when we went out to lunch/dinner or to convenience stores, etc (all the places in the city are TINY, no way my BJCM would have fit anywhere)

it shoudl be even easier given that u will have other adults to help with the baby. i managed to get around with DS alone on the subway (whenever i had to go upstairs, i had DS in my Pikkolo, collapsed Volo over my shoulder), so imagine it should be doable with your parents/others to help out with carrying stuff up subway stairs and all that (if needed, some stations have elevators i imagine).

about a taxi, we only used one to get from airport to hotel when we first arrived, and then on the way back, so we didn't have DS in a car seat. i don't know NYC rules but in Ontario taxis are exempt from carseat rule and so for me i didn't feel the need to lug carseat just for those 2 rides, but that was me. if he was still in an infant seat it would have been easier to bring along and install (esp without a base) but he was already too big.

Mommy_Again
07-27-2010, 06:35 PM
oops- posted this is your first request on the other thread, too:

Well, I feel as if I can speak from a position of authority of this subject, having just watched the episode of "Bethenny Getting Married?" dealing with baby transportation in the city. You'll have to install and uninstall your car seat in taxis whenever you go somewhere, and throw the stroller in the trunk. So a van would be much more convenient in that respect - except that parking, especially a car of that size, is going to be a nightmare. So it would really be a trade-off...and I don't know HOW people use subways with strollers.

I am sure some NYC-based mamas could chime in with further insight, since my experience is based on a reality show and living in the city for 3 months over 10 years ago.

Karinyc
07-27-2010, 06:49 PM
Please, do not rent a van. Fly in & you can very easily get around by subway & walking. For the most part, public transportation is very reliable and accessible (except for the lack of working elevators in many stations). If you feel the need you can always take a taxi (I've lived here all my life & only took a taxi twice!).

Honestly, having a vehicle (especially one as large as a van) in the city can many times be a burden (finding parking, expensive garages, meters, and the overall stress of driving in the city). If you are not going outside of Manhattan then there's no need for the van (and even then you can take the LIRR or MetroNorth). Just keep in mind that strollers (especially bulky ones) are sometimes frowned upon in crowded trains. I highly recommend a lightweight or a carrier. Also, many restaurants don't allow strollers inside. I think you'll be fine if there are 5 adults.

carolinamama
07-27-2010, 07:44 PM
You do NOT want to have a vehicle in the city. The cost of parking would be astronomical and it's often easier to get around by walking, riding the subway or taxis. We have traveled to NYC with an infant. We flew and then took a cab to our hotel. For this trip, I did put DS in a carseat but the few cab rides we took in the city I just held him :bag We walked alot and took PT as well. We have Macs that we use for travel and they are nice and light for PT.

LMPC
07-27-2010, 08:00 PM
As someone who lived in NYC (pre-DD) and has visited there many times with DD, I agree with the PP's that suggest forgetting the van idea. You can easily travel around NYC for 4-5 days and never get into a taxi. The subways and buses are more than adequate. You have lots of hands to help you up and down the subway stairs...and even if you were traveling alone, NYCers are really good about helping parents up and down the stairs. I've been on both ends of that one....it's really nice.

You can hire a car (not that much more than a taxi) from the airport to the Manhattan that will have a car seat. It can keep you from having to bring yours. How old is your DC? I went to NYC in June and got a car from the airport...the guy showed up with a brand new Graco...properly installed!!!

mmommy
07-27-2010, 08:07 PM
I live in the city.

You DO NOT want the hassle of having a vehicle. Parking is a hassle, driving is a hassle. And totally unnecessary.

A lightweight stroller and/or carrier and the subway should be all you need.

You may want to take a cab. (In her 13 months my daughter has only been in 1.) You won't use a carseat in a cab. If you are really worried about that you can call a car service (ask at your hotel) and request a car with a carseat.

NYC is VERY easy to get around, and VERY baby friendly. Have fun!!

ehf
07-27-2010, 08:08 PM
We just did something similar.

We had our car because it was easier to drive from Boston than take a plane.

We parked it near my sister's and never used it again for several days. It's a pain to drive in NYC. Don't bother with a van. You also don't want to drive from Virginia. Too long for a baby. I'd fly in and then take public transportation.

I used the baby carrier for short trips and the stroller for longer ones. It was very easy to throw a stroller in the trunk of the cabs. If you have an infant seat, it's also very easy to install it with the seat belt in cabs. When we went to Miami, we had the snap n go, which was easy. While in NYC, we actually rarely used the carseat in cabs because we had the Bee stroller, which was easier to steer in the city.

With so many other adults, it'll be easy for you to wear the baby and have someone else carry the stroller if you are going in the subway or on a bus.

peanut520
07-27-2010, 08:43 PM
dont forget that parking lots in nyc will run you about 30-40 a day and that is usually without the large vehicle surcharge (5-20) not to mention if you actually use the van it will really add up. Street/meter parking is free in the city on sundays but dont get caught with a parking ticket because they start at 120.00.
we only drive into the city if we are spending one day so parking is not so bad otherwise we take the train or bus in then use the public transit system.

lmh2402
07-27-2010, 08:51 PM
if you want to PM me, i can give you some numbers of local car services that will come with a seat

the honest truth, the seats are NOT in the best condition. i usually do the install myself b/c it takes two min and i know it's in tight

IMO, it is the best solution for times when you just need/want to travel by car - like to/from airport

other than that, i use the quest on the subway all the time

you can get in a cab without a car seat, but it's not safe and the drivers are extremely aggressive...making it even less safe

stick with a light stroller/carrier and have a number for a kid-friendly car service.

have fun ;)