PDA

View Full Version : Unjust case concerning blind parents

Karinyc
07-27-2010, 09:06 PM
This just sickens me. Completely unbelievable:

http://www.parentdish.com/2010/07/23/blind-couple-reunited-with-baby-taken-away-by-state/

I'm so happy this couple was able to get the legal support needed to fight this travesty and were ultimately reunited. I wonder if they can sue...

MamaKath
07-27-2010, 09:19 PM
Wow! Just wow! To think this stuff happens in this day and age.

swissair81
07-27-2010, 10:03 PM
Kids get taken away all the time for crazy reasons. A few years ago there was a story in Readers Digest about a babysitter who reported parents to social services because she had never seen Mongolian spots before & thought they were bruises. A quick call to the kid's pediatrician would have cleared that up, but instead she was put in foster care for about 6 months. Plus the parents will have the black mark that they have been investigated by Social Services & could be held against them in the future. Social services are scary. As a nurse, I would think a million times before I reported someone. I could literally ruin people's lives because I am a mandatory reporter. (which is problematic for nurses, because if we miss something or neglect to report it, we could be brought up on criminal charges AND lose our licenses permanently.)

MommyofAmaya
07-27-2010, 10:13 PM
This story is shocking and terribly heartbreaking.

sarahsthreads
07-27-2010, 10:38 PM
That's horrifying.

I mean, I can't imagine the logistics of caring for a small child without being able to see them, but I'm sure it can be managed. I can't imagine the logistics of caring for *myself* without being able to see, so those parents have skills I definitely don't have!

How heartbreaking to miss the first two months of your child's life like that. :(

Sarah

Kitten007
07-28-2010, 04:08 AM
That's horrifying.

I mean, I can't imagine the logistics of caring for a small child without being able to see them, but I'm sure it can be managed. I can't imagine the logistics of caring for *myself* without being able to see, so those parents have skills I definitely don't have!

How heartbreaking to miss the first two months of your child's life like that. :(

Sarah

Who the heck is soooo f*ing stupid! This just pisses me off to no end! I cried reading this because I totally agree with Sarah.....you missed the first two months of your child's life, didn't get the chance to hold your child and cherish your brand new baby. Stupid people make me sick. Sorry need to let that out.

klwa
07-28-2010, 06:50 AM
A few years ago there was a story in Readers Digest about a babysitter who reported parents to social services because she had never seen Mongolian spots before & thought they were bruises.

DS has Mongolian spots, which I had never seen quite as prominently as he has. After they appeared, I was SO worried that the doctor was going to say something about his bottom & leg being bruised, but thye just laughed at me. When he started daycare, I made sure that they KNEW that those were Mongolian spots, just so no one would do something similar to the above. Because I could just see my dumpling being taken from me because of a whackadoodle.

Seitvonzu
07-28-2010, 08:51 AM
what a sad story! :( people can be really naive about things they don't understand :( but my main comment is -- what a sweet little girl that baby is! precious! i'm glad she's home now.

swissair81
07-28-2010, 08:52 AM
DS has Mongolian spots, which I had never seen quite as prominently as he has. After they appeared, I was SO worried that the doctor was going to say something about his bottom & leg being bruised, but thye just laughed at me. When he started daycare, I made sure that they KNEW that those were Mongolian spots, just so no one would do something similar to the above. Because I could just see my dumpling being taken from me because of a whackadoodle.

It's unfortunate that you need to do something like that, but it is better to be safe than sorry. Mongolian spots do have a penchant for looking like bruises.