PDA

View Full Version : Need your Mattress recommendations!!

Corie
07-27-2010, 10:11 PM
We are going to buy a new mattress for our bed.

I do NOT want a Sleep Number bed or a Tempur-Pedic bed.

Any other recommendations??

Thanks!

willow33
07-27-2010, 10:34 PM
Hey Corie!! We just went out yesterday and bought a new mattress too :) We went with a Stearns and Foster with a plush top...can't remember the exact model. We bought it at Mattress Firm. Do you have an Original Mattress Factory near you? They get the top review on Consumer Reports for mattress retailers. I think there were some in Ohio.

Mattress shopping gives me anxiety...hoping we made the right choice! Good luck!!

Corie
07-27-2010, 11:28 PM
Hey Corie!! We just went out yesterday and bought a new mattress too :) We went with a Stearns and Foster with a plush top...can't remember the exact model. We bought it at Mattress Firm. Do you have an Original Mattress Factory near you? They get the top review on Consumer Reports for mattress retailers. I think there were some in Ohio.

Mattress shopping gives me anxiety...hoping we made the right choice! Good luck!!

Thanks!! It looks like we do have Original Mattress Factory stores around here.
We'll have to check them out.

How's Indiana? Are you loving the Midwest? :)

Tondi G
07-28-2010, 12:40 AM
we have a Stearns & Foster cushioned firm... wish we had gone with the plush instead cause I would personally like a little more padding, but my DH who has some back issues likes the firm a lot. We've had it for 5 years. The reason we went with the C-firm instead was that we were concerned with the indentation issues that a lot of pillowtop mattresses can develop. The salesman said ... if you go with the firm and want extra padding you can always get a mattress pad or a feather bed. If you buy a pillowtop mattress, the padding is there and you can take it away if you start to get indentations etc.

we bought ours from a local small independent mattress/furniture store and got a really good price. I highly suggest just going to some local stores and lay on the beds (not just for a couple of seconds... really lay there for a bit... roll over on your side etc and see how it feels). We're shoes you can easily slip on and off and comfy clothes.

I've heard pretty good things about IKEA mattresses too

kep
07-28-2010, 12:43 AM
While we are interested in the Sleep Number for ourselves, the other big contender in my book is Ikea, especially for the "green" qualities. They also seem to have mattresses at lots of different price points. We have a $300 twin Ikea foam matress for DS and we LOVE it.

kristenk
08-10-2010, 11:26 PM
Corie - what did you end up doing about a mattress? DH and I have decided to upgrade from a queen to a king and have to start the dreaded task of mattress shopping.

Corie
08-11-2010, 11:59 AM
Corie - what did you end up doing about a mattress?

Procrastinating. :)

We need to buy one soon since our guest room sits empty. I plan to move
our old mattress in the guest room and then we get a new one for our
bedroom.

bostonsmama
08-11-2010, 01:58 PM
We got our natural latex mattress w/ organic cotton & wool cover (zero chemicals sprayed on the mattress, yet exceeds flammability requirements) from Habitat Furnishings in MA. We ordered a sample kit online, talked to the representative, and with the 6-month in-home trial, we figured we'd give it a try. We've been blown away by how much better we sleep. It is NOT a tempurpedic (HOT!), it actually keeps us cool. It came w/ free pillows & a $100 mattress pad cover & free shipping (unless you return it). Love it so much 2.5 years later that we conviced the ILs to buy one, and they love it, too! You would have to keep your boxspring or buy one separately, but I'm utterly in love. I wish they made one for our DD on the way!

http://www.habitatfurnishings.com/

codex57
08-11-2010, 02:20 PM
Loving Simmons and the individual coils.

I'm another one who can't sleep on a tempurpedic cuz it makes me too hot.

sste
08-11-2010, 02:53 PM
I think we bought a serta (the one with the sheep ads?) which we love. I did alot of trying them out and in fact was referred to as the "princess and the pea" by one salesperson and not as a compliment!

What we found to be effective was to go the a particular manufacturer's "top" line and get the cheapest, promotional one in the top line. So, in other words when you get to the very top of mattress pricing within a mainstream line like simmons, serta, s&f (which I believe is now owned and produced by a cheaper mnfr btw) what starts adding to the cost is kind of imaginary - - extra cm of latex foam, 10 extra springs, etc. If you go to the bottom of the top then you really get their core product at a good price.

Corie
08-15-2010, 11:29 PM
What we found to be effective was to go the a particular manufacturer's "top" line and get the cheapest, promotional one in the top line. So, in other words when you get to the very top of mattress pricing within a mainstream line like simmons, serta, s&f (which I believe is now owned and produced by a cheaper mnfr btw) what starts adding to the cost is kind of imaginary - - extra cm of latex foam, 10 extra springs, etc. If you go to the bottom of the top then you really get their core product at a good price.

Gotcha! This makes a lot of sense! Thank you.

essnce629
08-16-2010, 03:36 AM
If I was buying a mattress today I'd try and go with an all latex one like the one Bostonsmama posted. Traditional mattresses are filled with chemicals and I think we spend about a 1/3 of our lifetime sleeping on and breathing in all these chemicals. Latex ones are naturally hypoallergenic and cannot be inhabited by dustmites.

Neatfreak
08-16-2010, 05:37 AM
We bought our last mattress at Ikea - a Hamnvik. They have similar ones that add a layer of either memory foam or latex on top as well ...

DrSally
08-16-2010, 03:49 PM
If I was buying a mattress today I'd try and go with an all latex one like the one Bostonsmama posted. Traditional mattresses are filled with chemicals and I think we spend about a 1/3 of our lifetime sleeping on and breathing in all these chemicals. Latex ones are naturally hypoallergenic and cannot be inhabited by dustmites.

I did not know that about the bedbugs. DH travels for work and my greatest fear is bedbugs. But, don't some people find them hot? Are they as comfy as a pillowtop spring mattress?