PDA

View Full Version : Another Itinerary Critique for a Newbie

lhafer
07-27-2010, 11:32 PM
Ya'll did such a good job critiquing the other poster's itinerary, I am hoping you can do it for mine as well. This will be our first trip, so I want to get in as much as possible, but with a 4 year old and 9 month old, I know we are going to have to be flexible. The 4 year old is SO excited already, and the baby is very easy going. We will have strollers for both children, and they are used to napping on the go. We will be staying at Coronado Springs Resort and using Disney Transportation.

Day 1 - Nov. 27th
- Arrival day - unsure when we are arriving as I have not purchased plane tickets yet. Thinking late morning or early afternoon.
- Go to Magic Kingdom for the afternoon
- 6:15pm - Dinner @ The Crystal Palace
- Try to catch some fireworks, depending on the energy of the kids

Day 2 - Nov. 28th
- Magic Kingdom
- Lunch @ Tony's Square 12:50pm
- Back to resort to rest for the afternoon
- Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party

Day 3 - Nov. 29th
- Probably hang out at pool/resort during morning
- Magic Kingdom in the afternoon/evening
- No dinner reservations this day
- Probably go later in the morning and stay later for fireworks (EMH evening)

Day 4 - Nov. 30th
- "Off" day
- Visit some of the resorts to look at Christmas decorations (Contemporary, Wilderness Lodge)
- Ft. Wilderness wagon ride
- 7:25pm - Dinner at 1900 Park Fare @ The Grand Floridian

Day 5 - Dec. 1st
- Animal Kingdom
- Kilimonjaro Safari
- Lion King show
- Lunch - Tusker House @ 1:25pm, which reserves us a seat at the 3:15pm Finding Nemo musical

Day 6 - Dec. 2nd
- Hollywood Studios
- Would like to try to get Beauty and the Beast showing in here somewhere
- Lunch: Hollywood & Vine @ 12:15pm
- Back to resort to rest after lunch
- 6:30pm Fantasmic! followed by Osborne Lights

Day 7 - Dec. 3rd
- Epcot
- Breakfast - Askershus @ 10:55am (couldn't get earlier - so it will be "brunch")
- Tour the Worlds
- May try to take a break depending on time
- Illuminations @ 9:30pm if the kids can make it!!

Day 8 - Dec. 4th
- Another "Off" day
- Breakfast - Ohana @ 9:20am at the Polynesian
- Go to Downtown Disney and look around
- Maybe go back to a park where we felt like we didn't get to see everything

Day 9 - Dec. 5th
Last day - leave to go home (again, not sure of when)

Momof3Labs
07-28-2010, 12:13 AM
I personally wouldn't do MK 3 days in a row and that's it. I'd scatter it throughout your trip. What days of the week are these? The 27th is a Sat, right? MK can be really busy on weekends, esp. Fri and Sat in early December (and esp later in the day), and then lighter during the week. I haven't noticed the same trend at, say, Epcot.

DHS - I'd skip Fantasmic (it's pretty scary for a 4yo) and instead use that time to walk the Osbourne lights without the crowds. Your kids are the perfect age for Osbourne lights.

clc053103
07-28-2010, 07:50 AM
I agree with Lori, I would break up the three days of MK in a row so it doesn't get monotonous. You may want to try exploring Epcot earlier in the trip as you may find there's things you want to go back and try later- it really varies as some 4 yo love Epcot, others are not interested. Also I really like the Boardwalk area, which is easily accessible from Epcot- in the evenings there is entertainment at different spots like magicians, my 4 yo always enjoys spending time there. The Boardwalk Pizza window is a great place for a quick bite too.

We also skip fantasmic-fear that it would be too intense for DS, like Lori said, and also there's a lot of waiting in line to get in, for the show to start, to get out- especially without a fantasmic package.

alien_host
07-28-2010, 08:02 AM
I think PP's are right...split up MK days. We did every other day and it worked great (MK 3 times). We also did MK on our last day so DD could "say goodbye". That was DD's favorite park and we went back after dinner for a few final rides. Worked out great.

lhafer
07-28-2010, 08:43 AM
I debated that a long time. MK has the christmas party on specific days (just bought the tickets for the 28th, so that date is staying). But I can change the 3rd day around. I chose the parks the way I did to have the longest amount of time available (i.e. they are open longer or may have evening EMH) since we will not have park hopper passes.

Everyone has told me how good fantasmic is, including a friend who went in June with his 5yr old and 2.5 year old. I am not willing to miss the Osborne lights though. We love Christmas lights and Christmas time in general and I am really looking forward to seeing WDW all dolled up for it!! :love5:

I will look into either adding another free day, or swiching some parks around. It will depend on what ADRs I can get. Thanks for the advice.

I had another whole itinerary before this one. But everyone's Fantasmic recommendation prompted me to change it. At one point I had 19 various ADRs made until I could cancel the ones from the first itinerary!! :rotflmao:

DebbieJ
07-28-2010, 11:46 AM
We really liked the Tusker House breakfast as well.

lil_acorn
07-28-2010, 01:24 PM
If your kids are big Einstein fans, then you must do Hollywood and Vine, but I warn you..the food is horrible. Probably one of the worst meals I had while on vacation.

Momof3Labs
07-28-2010, 02:15 PM
MK is open late because it is so much more crowded on those days. I find it better to hit the MK when it isn't open so late; believe it or not, we get a lot more done because the lines are so much shorter! You will encounter some pretty long lines that Saturday afternoon.

As far as the MVMCP goes, you can go to a different park earlier in the day. Your MVMCP ticket (not your regular park ticket) will get you into the MK after 4pm (I think).

lhafer
07-28-2010, 10:09 PM
Okay, so I went back and looked at my schedule. I changed a couple of the days around, and was able to get some different ADRs made to accommodate. Take a look and let me know what you think of the new schedule. I was able to move around a couple of days without damaging my ADRs that were already made. I technically have 3 "off" days that we can use to see DTD, the Boardwalk, resorts, go back to a certain park, etc. And that doesn't include the day we are leaving. If we have a lot of time before we leave to come home, then that's some more time to enjoy the resort, the parks, etc.

Day 1 - Sat. Nov. 27th (THE SAME)
- Arrival day - unsure when we are arriving as I have not purchased plane tickets yet. Thinking late morning or early afternoon.
- Go to Magic Kingdom for the afternoon
- 6:15pm - Dinner @ The Crystal Palace
- Try to catch some fireworks, depending on the energy of the kids

Day 2 - Sun. Nov. 28th (THE SAME)
- Magic Kingdom
- Lunch @ Tony's Square 12:50pm
- Back to resort to rest for the afternoon
- Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party - tickets are bought

Day 3 - Mon. Nov. 29th (Changed)
- Hollywood Studios
- Lunch at Sci-Fi Dine-In Theater @ 12:55pm
- Beauty and the Beast showing sometime during the day
- See Fantasmic! show at 6:30pm (most likely)

Day 4 - Tues. Nov. 30th (THE SAME)
- "Off" day
- Visit some of the resorts to look at Christmas decorations (Contemporary, Wilderness Lodge, Ft. Wilderness resort)
- Ft. Wilderness wagon ride
- 7:25pm - Dinner at 1900 Park Fare @ The Grand Floridian

Day 5 - Wed. Dec. 1st (THE SAME)
- Animal Kingdom
- Kilimonjaro Safari
- Lion King show
- Lunch - Tusker House @ 1:25pm, which reserves us a seat at the 3:15pm Finding Nemo musical

Day 6 - Thurs. Dec. 2nd (CHANGED - UP IN THE AIR)
- "Off" day
- POSSIBLY Hollywood Studios
- Block Party Bash Parade @ 3pm
- Lunch: Hollywood & Vine @ 12:15pm - kept this reservation just in case this is what we do this day
- Osborne Lights (park is open til 8 pm this night

Day 7 - Fri. Dec. 3rd (THE SAME)
- Epcot
- Breakfast - Askershus @ 10:55am (couldn't get earlier - so it will be "brunch")
- Tour the Worlds
- May try to take a break depending on time
- Illuminations @ 9:30pm if the kids can make it!!

Day 8 - Sat. Dec. 4th (THE SAME)
- "Off" day
- Breakfast - Ohana @ 9:20am at the Polynesian
- Go to Downtown Disney and look around
- Maybe to go the Boardwalk

Day 9 - Sun. Dec. 5th
Last day - leave to go home (again, not sure of when)

Momof3Labs
07-28-2010, 10:37 PM
Did you confirm that they are doing Fantasmic that Monday night? They don't do it every night during the slow season.

lhafer
07-29-2010, 08:37 AM
Did you confirm that they are doing Fantasmic that Monday night? They don't do it every night during the slow season.

They are having the show on 11/29 and 12/2 the week we are going to be there.

fivi2
07-29-2010, 09:44 AM
From what I can tell you dropped your third MK day - am I reading it right? I would consider doing a third MK on one of your later days - maybe your second dhs day? or just see what you guys liked best. My girls loved MK - we did three partial days there and they could have gone back for more! Or on Day 8 maybe do MK that day? I would do a park my last full day, but ymmv!

I also would not even attempt fireworks that first night. I would want to rest after a long day traveling and get ready for the next day. I think MK that afternoon is fine - just to take it easy, look at the castle, maybe see a show. But I would plan to go to hotel straight after dinner. They may seem up for it - running on adrenaline, but I think you will pay for a late first night the rest of the week... But again, ymmv! :)

Sounds like a great trip!

lhafer
07-29-2010, 11:04 AM
I figured we could use one of the free days to go back to which ever park we felt like we still missed stuff. Magic Kingdom, Epcot, whatever. I know we won't get to everything anyway. The point is to have a good time. I just would like to mainly know what stuff is going on in which park and certain times. So we can plan our best. But the goal above all else is to have fun!! :boogie:

Heck if we don't get to everything, maybe I can talk my DH into going back sooner!! ;)

clc053103
07-29-2010, 11:45 AM
You are smart to plan it out, to get the most out of your trip. Esp without the park hoppers it's a little more tricky. Definitely be flexible, find the touring style that suits your family and adjust accordingly! our kids love and need the mid afternoon break. Other families I know go rope drop to closing time at a single park every day of their trip!

lhafer
07-29-2010, 11:52 AM
You are smart to plan it out, to get the most out of your trip. Esp without the park hoppers it's a little more tricky. Definitely be flexible, find the touring style that suits your family and adjust accordingly! our kids love and need the mid afternoon break. Other families I know go rope drop to closing time at a single park every day of their trip!

I have a feeling we will be the "break in the middle of the day" kind of family. Which is why I chose the parks the way I did - to do the EMH hours. I know some people hate that, but the park will be open longer, which is important since we won't be park hopping, and we will be taking some time out in the middle of the day.

fivi2
07-29-2010, 02:32 PM
I think the mid day break is just one of those things you will have try for yourself. (I think I put this in the other thread, sorry for the repeat). Our first trip, right before the girls turned 3, we stayed at Gr. Fl. We took a midday break from the MK and it was a disaster. Travel (even so close) ate up a chunk of time, the girls didn't want to leave the park at midday and cried and cried, refused to nap, and then were exhausted by the time we made it back for dinner. But other people love and need the break.

This trip (girls were 4.5) we just did basically half days (or 3/4 days). We got to the parks early, left by midafternoon and did not attempt to go back. It worked beautifully for us (but of course we missed the night time stuff). We did one late morning through dinner day at EP World Showcase.

But, some people swear by the afternoon break and find it works great for their families. Some people (egoldber is one, I think) find that rope drop to night works well, with maybe a break day here and there. You will just have to see what works for you, and don't be afraid to adjust your plan if something isn't working!

Have a great trip!

egoldber
07-29-2010, 02:38 PM
find that rope drop to night works well, with maybe a break day here and there

Well, I don't know that it worked "well". ;) They were cranky monsters a good part of the time.

Also, we split up a lot. I would take younger DD back to the hotel and put her to bed, while DH stayed with older DD for fireworks, etc.

fivi2
07-29-2010, 02:58 PM
Well, I don't know that it worked "well". ;) They were cranky monsters a good part of the time.

Also, we split up a lot. I would take younger DD back to the hotel and put her to bed, while DH stayed with older DD for fireworks, etc.

Sorry to misrepresent you :) I was just always in awe of your kids' stamina :D

egoldber
07-29-2010, 06:20 PM
Well, older DD is 8. And younger DD has NEVER been one to sleep at the best of times.

Momof3Labs
07-29-2010, 09:19 PM
I have a feeling we will be the "break in the middle of the day" kind of family. Which is why I chose the parks the way I did - to do the EMH hours. I know some people hate that, but the park will be open longer, which is important since we won't be park hopping, and we will be taking some time out in the middle of the day.

We take mid-day breaks and still avoid the parks that are open late as that usually means that they are pretty crowded. That said, we did evening EMH at AK once and it was pretty empty. But generally, the longer hours are there because it takes you that much longer to do everything.

"Hate" isn't quite the right word, we have just been to WDW enough times to know how things generally work with respect to park hours, crowds and waits for rides. And we much, much prefer to avoid crowds and lines with the kids.

DebbieJ
07-29-2010, 09:32 PM
We take mid-day breaks and still avoid the parks that are open late as that usually means that they are pretty crowded. That said, we did evening EMH at AK once and it was pretty empty. But generally, the longer hours are there because it takes you that much longer to do everything.

"Hate" isn't quite the right word, we have just been to WDW enough times to know how things generally work with respect to park hours, crowds and waits for rides. And we much, much prefer to avoid crowds and lines with the kids.

The Unofficial Guide to Disney World says the same thing--avoid the park with EMH because there will be more people there.