PDA

View Full Version : stiff fingers--is this arthritis?

DrSally
07-28-2010, 03:40 PM
I just started having a problem where my left ring finger won't bend in the middle joint. It gets "stuck" flat and I have to manually move the joint. It happened last night for a few minutes and then went back to normal. I was holding a bowl of soup prior. Today, I was holding a colander, and it happened again. It also happened in my right hand on the ring finger today for a few minutes.

I'm worried since it's symmetrical, that it may be rheumatoid arthritis. However, I have no pain, swelling, redness, etc. I know that joints can sometimes get "caught", but it's weird that it happened to the same finger in the other hand today.

Is this the beginning of RA? I'm freaked out. I know it could be many other things. I happen to have an appt. for a physical Friday, so I'll be sure to ask.

ETA: I wonder if it may also be this: "trigger finger" http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/topic.cfm?topic=a00024

Myira
07-28-2010, 04:05 PM
I do not know if this is RA or not. But I have had RA scare and I know the first thing my doctor did was check my blood for ANA, CCP and CRP for indicators of inflammation and of course the rheumatoid factor.

Don't freak out though 'cause it need not be RA at all. But definitely follow up, I ignored it for months.

DrSally
07-28-2010, 04:10 PM
I am going to ask my doctor (she's a PA) if she feels the need to run tests when I see her on Friday. So, yours turned out to be nothing?

set81616
07-28-2010, 04:51 PM
I'm an OT and I have RA. It sounds morel like trigger finger. The first symptoms of RA for me were my fingers would be really stiff and a little painful when I held something too long. Also my right elbow wouldn't straighten all the way. It is a little odd having it on both hands. Did you fall on both hands? Used to play volleyball? A lot of times trigger finger gets stick bent but it can happen the other way. Hold the joint below the sticking one with your other hand so you can't bend that joint and then bend the joint that is sticking. This is the exercise I would give a patient with TF. It is helpful to do on all your finger joints.
Good luck.
Shannon

candaceb
07-28-2010, 05:18 PM
I have RA, which causes trigger finger for me when it's bad and not under control (not in a long time), and that does sound like trigger finger.

Myira
07-28-2010, 05:23 PM
yes all my blood markers came out be negative. I even saw a rheumy that my PCP sent me to and she ran even more extensive tests and x-rayed my wrists. So finally, she concluded my vit D level was low (20), that coupled with some other trigger may have caused me wrist pain. I started taking vit D supplements and 6 months later my levels were up to 45 and I felt great. Now after 3 months she is going to check my levels again as well as run all blood markers.

BTW my pain went away even before I saw the rheumy and she has concluded I do not have RA at this point, but does want to keep an eye out for it with regular follow-ups.

DrSally
07-28-2010, 07:56 PM
Thank you guys. It does sound like trigger finger to me too (except it gets caught in the straight position. I don't hear a pop when it bends, but I can feel it "pop".