PDA

View Full Version : wool carpet vs nylon

Nicsmom
07-28-2010, 08:33 PM
I recently bought a house and I am replacing the carpet in the bedrooms. I was hoping there was hardwood underneath but there is not. I am used to having hardwood and I'm not a big fan of carpet, so I need your advice on what is better: wool carpet or nylon? I like that wool is more eco-friendly, and I like the look of wool sisal. It looks very clean, simple and more modern. But the installer tells me it's not as plush and soft as nylon and very often people who buy wool carpet end up replacing it for nylon after 5 years. What do you think? What has been your experience?

Thanks for your help

Dr C
07-28-2010, 09:16 PM
My parents have wool. It WAS beautiful but it stains easily and is very difficult to clean. It's also very $$$. We went with synthetic.
Is installing hardwood or vinyl flooring an option? We have installed a hardwood floor ourselves and it was easier than we thought it would be. Compared to wool carpet... I would think installing hardwood would be an option. If not... you can install vinyl almost anywhere. Bamboo? Tile? Just throwing out ideas.

Nicsmom
07-29-2010, 09:38 AM
We thought about installing hardwood, but we wanted to change the flooring before the movers bring the furniture, and we do not have enough time. But it's good to know the cons of wool carpet. I knew it was more expensive but not that it was more difficult to clean. It;s a shame because I really like the look and that it's natural and therefore more "green" than the synthetic.

Kindra178
07-29-2010, 02:55 PM
Wool. Less off gassing. Wool is naturally stain repellent, so fewer chemicals used. Upgrade your pad too. I can't recomment wool enough.