PDA

View Full Version : Have you ever done a comparison of multiple types of disposables?

ourbabygirl
07-28-2010, 10:54 PM
I'm definitely a Pampers lady, but since they're so pricey, even when getting them on sale, I'm considering branching out. But I don't want to have to buy a big pack of diapers, use one or two, and hate them and be out the money (though I would definitely donate them). Have you ever bought many different brands and tried them all out to compare? There are so many brands out there, I'm wondering if there's something cheaper than Pampers that I would like as much/ almost as much.

So there's
Pampers
Huggies
Luvs
Target Up & Up

and generic brands from Costco & Sam's Club
and then other generic store brands,
as well as Fisher Price and some others that BRU sells.

Then there's also the more 'earth-friendly' chlorine-free & such.

Which others would you add to the list as good contenders?

Which have you tried, and what were your findings? ;)

Thanks for sharing! :thumbsup:

emily
07-29-2010, 11:27 AM
We were exclusive Pampers with DD. Now that we're buying dipes for two, I've been trying others. So far, we're happy with Luvs. I've stocked up on Amazon S&S 30% off discount.

Huggies - Just not as soft as Pampers. Otherwise, no big complaints.
Costco - I think I read somewhere that these are Huggies in disguise. Our issue wth Costco is different tho. Lately, I've been finding the insides of the dipes (the gel) on DS even when the dipe isnt very saturated.
Walmart - I can't remember why I didnt like these but since I havent bought them since that first pack, there must have been a reason.
CVS - I picked up a pack for a couple of dollars when they were clearing them out at 75%. These have got to be the worst dipes I have come across. When wet they remind me of the big Kotex maxi mads, you know like the pads they give you after you give birth.

azzeps
07-29-2010, 11:54 AM
How old is your baby? I think that makes a bit of a difference.

When my daughter was a wee infant, we had issues with containment if we didn't use Pampers or Huggies. However, now that the BMs are a little more solid, we have been using Target Up & Up, and they're great. I like them the best of the generics I have tried. Of the name brand ones, we are Huggies users, because we didn't like the Pampers perfume smell and wanted to reduce the chemicals in our diapers. Of the earth friendly ones, we like Earth's Best. We did try Seventh Generation when our daughter was tiny, and they leaked for us, but now they'd probably be fine. She's 2.5 (almost) now.

I guess I should say that most of the time, we use cloth diapers, and only use the disposables at nighttime, but we have been on a few trips and used disposables.

ourbabygirl
07-29-2010, 02:44 PM
Thanks.... yeah, my daughter will be 2 this fall, and I've used Pampers from the beginning (first Swaddlers, and now Baby Dry). When I tried Huggies, I didn't like them (probably just the shape & feel of them, not necessarily their
'containment capacity' ;)), and I felt the same/ worse about Up & Up- they get all 'clumpy' when they get wet, and they just seem cheap & like they would be uncomfortable. I'm also back to using cloth during the day (whenever possible), and a Pampers overnight, & when we're on trips or when someone else is baby-sitting DD.
We have a boy due this fall, and I've heard that some moms like Huggies better for boys. I've thought of stocking up before he's born, but then again I don't know if he'll have any sort of 'reaction' to certain diapers. Since DD has always been fine w/Pampers, I'm hoping he will, too, but it would also be nice to find a cheaper brand for him that I like just as well. :)

Thanks to PP for your responses; if anyone else has something to add, please do!

jerigirl
07-29-2010, 03:25 PM
We used Huggies pretty much from the beginning w/ DS1. I don't like the way Luvs and Pampers smell. When DS was about 18 months I switched to Walgreen's diapers. (They had a mega sale!) I thought they were great. They do run a tad small. I didn't size up for DS but some do for their kiddos.

NN317
07-29-2010, 03:25 PM
My kids are 22 months old now, but we've been using all of these diapers for most of their lives (aside from Pampers Swaddlers for the first couple of months):
We use Target Up & Up during the day. Sometimes Luvs when Target is out of their size. For overnight, one of them uses Pampers Extra Protection (it seems like she can pee a gallon) and the other uses Kirkland brand from Costco.
We found that the Kirklands are comparable to Huggies Supreme, with a much better price per diaper.

llama8
07-29-2010, 06:45 PM
Since the Pampers Dryax diapers are horrible for my daughter, I have tried every brand out there. She is now 8 months old.

I like Luvs the best, especially at night.
Huggies Pure and Natural are excellent too, but expensive.
Huggies Little movers are ok (a little leaky at the legs)
Huggies Snug and Dry are good and cheap
Fisher price have been great.

You may need to try a few to see which fit your baby best.

For value, I would say Luvs and Huggies Snug and Dry are the best value of the name-brands. Fisher Price is a close second and pretty cheap too.

MSWR0319
08-03-2010, 09:07 PM
We started DS out in Pampers. I tried Huggies with him early on, maybe 6 mo, and hated them. I got a free pack of the Fisher Price diapers and loved them. I didn't realize how awful Pampers smelled until I got the Fisher Price ones. We then switched to Huggies Pure & natural after I bought a pack on sale and those worked really well and were a little softer than the FP. I can get just as good of deal on Huggies if I buy on sale as I can the FP diapers. So overall I'd say we like Huggies P & N, FP, then Huggies LM. I don't mind Luvs but we haven't used those in awhile.

gobadgers
08-03-2010, 09:22 PM
We've bounced around a lot in the past, and now we use Kirkland because I got sick of chasing down the deals, and Costco always has a decent deal :)

I liked almost all the generics I've tried - Walmart's, CVS and Walgreens. The only brand I've had trouble with is Luvs. We have a big box right now, and if I put DS down for a nap in one of those, it will leak for sure (and forget about nighttime -we learned after the first night!!). I don't know what it is, the capacity or the shape, or maybe some combination. SO now I'm just trying to use them up.

ETA: We used Pampers until DS was done nursing, since they were less leaky with those runny BMs.

DrSally
08-03-2010, 09:50 PM
I think it depends on how they fit the child. We loved swaddlers, but baby dry never fit my big thighed babies well. I also don't like the scent. Seems that Huggies are unscented. I like Kirkland's, Huggies, and Huggies Supremes and Overnights. I've never found a generic dipe that didn't leak for me.

lchang25000
08-03-2010, 10:26 PM
It really depends on the baby. What works for 1 person can work the total opposite for another. We've used Swaddlers, the old Cruisers, Huggies Supreme, Huggis P&N, FP diapers with no problems. Used Luvs for a little bit, but the smell was just way too strong.

Kaylee31
08-03-2010, 10:29 PM
I tried a few brands out when my DS was a newborn: Pampers swaddlers, Huggies Pure & Natural, Luvs, White Cloud. I liked the Swaddlers the best, and used Pampers (Swaddlers, then Cruisers) exclusively until they added the DryMax when DS was 9-10 months old. I tried Luvs again, Huggies Little movers, Pampers Baby Dry, and Up&Up. Out of all of them, I liked the Target brand the best, and its the cheapest! I haven't had any problems with leaks. They aren't quite as soft as Pampers, but soft enough, comfortable, and flexible.

c&j04
08-03-2010, 11:13 PM
Out of all of them, I liked the Target brand the best, and its the cheapest! I haven't had any problems with leaks. They aren't quite as soft as Pampers, but soft enough, comfortable, and flexible.
Just curious-when you say they aren't quite as soft as Pampers, which Pampers are you comparing them to? I was amazed at the difference between Swaddlers and BabyDry!

Kaylee31
08-04-2010, 12:40 AM
Just curious-when you say they aren't quite as soft as Pampers, which Pampers are you comparing them to? I was amazed at the difference between Swaddlers and BabyDry!
The Swaddlers sensitive, which were the last Pampers I used. I got a free jumbo pack of them w/a Diapers.com purchase a few weeks ago. They actually carry them in size 3, which I can't find in stores. I had forgotten how soft they were, because I hadn't used swaddlers for about 6 months. On the outside anyway they are much softer, not sure if my DS can really feel any difference. To me, Pampers is not worth the extra $ though.

vonfirmath
08-04-2010, 08:52 AM
We didn't like Pampers

Especially for Baby (Babies R US) completely did NOT work. They leaked like sieves so I took the box back and Babies R Us gave us our money again. Because of this I never tried Kirkland Signature (which I could only get in boxes)

Early on, I preferred Huggies but Luvs and Target worked fine on my kid so that's what I used more. About size 3, Target changed their diapers and Luvs started leaking more. So I started looking hard for coupons and using Huggies Regular and CVS Supreme (both of which still worked)