PDA

View Full Version : Any way to alter this dress to fit?

MommyofAmaya
07-29-2010, 12:49 PM
I bought a "goal" dress probably a year ago and finally have an occassion to wear it. I tried it on, thinking it wouldn't even zip at all and was surprised to find that it zipped up easily... to my bra line. It is a back-zip. I don't see how it will EVER zip over that area. The dress is a 12. Bra size is 40F.

I'm actually considering just getting a shrug and wearing it anyway (zipped to only the bra line, and snapped between shoulders), but I'd love to have other options. Any ideas? I've looked on Ebay for the same dress in a bigger size, but no luck.

SM23Mama21
07-29-2010, 01:04 PM
Could you post a picture of the dress or one of the same style?

ltmommy
07-29-2010, 01:36 PM
Well, depending on the style, material, and construction, there might possibly be a way to let the side seams or add material on the sides, I would think.

MommyofAmaya
07-29-2010, 01:39 PM
I'll post a pic in a bit. Thanks.

babybunny
07-30-2010, 08:52 AM
My girlfriend once borrowed a costume dress from our folk dance company that she wanted to wear for Halloween. It did not zip close at all from the waist up. Do we got heavy duty grosgrain ribbon and constructed a corset style back - similar to a wedding gown. We tucked under the zipper pieces at an attractive angle and pinned the ribbon on (like shoe laces would tie shoes). Sorry for the terrible description. She wore a sheer "wrap" over it. It looked amazing. Of course a second person would have to to this for you while you are in the dress and then get you out of it.

Twoboos
07-30-2010, 08:58 AM
I have seen something that you can put in a deep vneck to make it less revealing. It's a piece of material that sticks inside the V. You might be able to put something like this in the back?

I am going to google...

ETA: Cleavage Cover!!

http://www.cleavagecoverup.com/

Honestly, looking at this you could probably get similar color fabric, double sided fabric tape, and make a go of it. GL!!

MamaKath
07-30-2010, 09:02 AM
Well, depending on the style, material, and construction, there might possibly be a way to let the side seams or add material on the sides, I would think.
This would work depending on styling. If you have to add fabric, you would most likely want to do it under the arms at the side seams. But this doesn't work on all pieces or fabrics.

The corset style lace up might work, but really has to go with the styling of the dress.

soontobe
07-30-2010, 10:30 AM
I have seen something that you can put in a deep vneck to make it less revealing. It's a piece of material that sticks inside the V. You might be able to put something like this in the back?

I am going to google...

ETA: Cleavage Cover!!

http://www.cleavagecoverup.com/

Honestly, looking at this you could probably get similar color fabric, double sided fabric tape, and make a go of it. GL!!

This is genius!!!

MommyofAmaya
08-01-2010, 04:43 PM
Thanks for the ideas ladies. I love the Cleavage Cover for the front, as I often have a spillover problem in that area. Not sure it would work for the back though. The ribbon idea may work. As for the dress, it is a burnt orange Banana Republic dress similar to this one, but more decorative ornamentation around the waist in the front only. The back of the dress is nearly identical.

http://www.zappos.com/tahari-by-asl-sl-textured-pique-with-gold-bamboo-ring-white

ThreeofUs
08-01-2010, 06:08 PM
Fold it into a deep V shape, with the wings that don't zip inside and stitch lightly. Put a decorative pin - something wide and fairly thin, like a bow or an art deco piece - at the new top of the zipper so it looks finished. If you need some more support up there so the dress doesn't come forward, stitch in a ribbon across the top back, nearer to your neck, that can be tied or snapped.

You may decide to keep it this way!

GL!

MommyofAmaya
08-03-2010, 09:59 AM
Fold it into a deep V shape, with the wings that don't zip inside and stitch lightly. Put a decorative pin - something wide and fairly thin, like a bow or an art deco piece - at the new top of the zipper so it looks finished. If you need some more support up there so the dress doesn't come forward, stitch in a ribbon across the top back, nearer to your neck, that can be tied or snapped.

You may decide to keep it this way!

GL!

This might work! Thanks.