PDA

View Full Version : Lake Tahoe, anyone?

pinkmomagain
07-29-2010, 02:26 PM
So dh has a business trip to Lake Tahoe in a few weeks and thought it might be fun for me to fly out too (without the kiddos). I'm in NY. I'd be looking at tops -- 3 nights. Do you think it's worth it? I've never been and off the top of my head can think of about 500 other places I'd like to visit, but then again, I don't know too much about it.

If anyone is familiar with Lake Tahoe in summer, would you say it's worth a visit?

Sweetum
07-29-2010, 04:36 PM
We're locals. So, it's a really nice weekend trip for us. I'm not sure, though, if I would fly all the way from NY. Would you be able to visit other places - SF in particular, and other places closeby - maybe an afternoon in Napa? Tahoe by itself is BEAUTIFUL- beautiful scenic drives, vista points, some water sports, swimming in the lake, but I'm sure you can have those experiences close to home as well. Maybe someone who's not from here can comment too.

smiles33
07-29-2010, 04:51 PM
3 days sounds sort of long to me unless you're a huge outdoor person. I also wonder how much time your DH has to spend with you. Are you expected to fend for yourself the entire time? Does he have client dinners or would he at least be able to meet you for dinner? You can only spend so much time outdoors by yourself hiking, watersports (do they still allow water-skiing and Seadoos?), or fishing. And you can really only go shopping or get pampered at the new Ritz Carlton for so long...

We only go to Tahoe in the winter so the kids can play in the snow. FIL and MIL have a condo at Northstar (on the North shore of the lake) and it's boring as heck in the summer (at least for me).

pinkmomagain
07-29-2010, 04:52 PM
Yeah, that was kinda my inclination. We've been to Napa and SF many times and love it there! But since he has a conference in Tahoe, that was where we would vacation. It must be beautiful with the mountains, and I'd love time alone with dh, but I don't know that it's worth the babysitting time from my parents and the airfare for me to go. We are on LI and have a beach house so, water time isn't a novel thing for us. After reading reviews, it doesn't even sound like the hotel is superduper nice either.

Thanks for your insights! Maybe I should be lobbying for that long weekend in Paris instead!!!

sonnynyc
07-29-2010, 06:12 PM
it's the outdoors...but the Tahoe side of Nevada is close by for some legal gambling.....