PDA

View Full Version : Opinions: DS #2 Suddenly Spitting up Again

Indianamom2
07-29-2010, 02:46 PM
Ds#2 was dairy sensitive. He was BF for almost 8 months,during which time I avoided all dairy, then we switched to Enfamil GentleEase formula, which he did just fine on. He used to be a COPIOUS spitter, but I'm pretty sure that since he's been on Enfamil, he hasn't spit up any more.

Since Ds turned one recently, the Dr. recommended that we switch him over to milk. I am nervous to just make the switch, so I started with the Enfamil Enfagrow (gentleEase version) and planned to start slowly mixing it with milk to see how he did, but I wanted to try out the Enfagrow on it's own first. By the way, Ds is only 19 lbs and around the 4th percentile for weight, so the extra formula won't hurt him.)

He's been on Enfagrow for maybe three days (I think today is the third day) and he's spit up three times today. He's not vomitting...it's all liquid and it doesn't upset him at all. It's not a huge amount, but is this a sign that he's not tolerating something in the Enfagrow formula? Is there really a big difference?

Thanks!

KpbS
07-29-2010, 03:48 PM
IME this is a sign of him having a problem with the new formula, intolerance/allergy. For my DC spitting up following the introduction of a new food was a frequent first sign of things to come--stomach upset, rashes, increased eczema, etc. I would go back to the formula he was tolerating and try introducing milk (in milk form or formula) around 15 mo. at the earliest. I recently tried dairy w/ DS2 around 24 mo. and he is still allergic. Some kids just take a while to outgrow their allergies/sensitivities if they are going to. DS1 still hasn't.

AnnieW625
07-29-2010, 04:08 PM
If you are open to soy could you try soy milk instead of cow milk? Have you tried any other dairy with your DS? Lactose intolerance runs in my family, but only for milk. DD1 isn't lactose intolerant, but for whatever reason milk products make her nose run like crazy so she's been on soy since 18 mos. (we tried rice milk and she didn't like that either), but she is fine with all other dairy.

Also, did you ever try regular formula with your DS? I am almost out of my lactose sensitive formula (Up & Up's Comparable to Similac Sensitive) and will need to get more for DD2 here soon. I have a can of regular Enfamil (sample can I got in the mail) but I am wondering if I should even try it? I am thinking not, but since DD2 seemed to spit up equally when I tried the no dairy for a while vs. when I did have dairy in my diet I am not sure she is sensitive to dairy, she just has reflux. WWYD? Just go and get the GentleEase or try the regular Enfamil?

ThreeofUs
07-29-2010, 04:14 PM
IME this is a sign of him having a problem with the new formula, intolerance/allergy. For my DC spitting up following the introduction of a new food was a frequent first sign of things to come--stomach upset, rashes, increased eczema, etc. I would go back to the formula he was tolerating and try introducing milk (in milk form or formula) around 15 mo. at the earliest. I recently tried dairy w/ DS2 around 24 mo. and he is still allergic. Some kids just take a while to outgrow their allergies/sensitivities if they are going to. DS1 still hasn't.

:yeahthat:

In fact, almost exactly that. Both of my kids still can't eat milk-based foods. You can hear them gurping when they have it; if they were still little, they'd be spitting up.

I'd talk to a pediatric allergist about this, even if you don't have your little one tested. According to ours, keeping sensitive kids off cow's milk for longer usually means less chance of the allergy still being there by age 5.

GL!

Indianamom2
07-29-2010, 04:55 PM
Thanks ladies. My gut says that he is still having some milk sensitivity issues too. I just wonder why the Enfagrow GentleEase was so much different than the regular GentleEase. I was hoping he would do okay to save a bit of money.

I guess I'm open to using soy milk, but I'm a bit torn on how that will affect a young boy. Doesn't it mimic estrogen a bit? That seems....iffy to me, Kwim?

For Annie, I never used regular formula with Ds because he would scream for hours when he was very young if I had even a slice of cheese in my diet...it wasn't worth the risk. If you haven't noticed any difference, I guess it would be okay to try, but my gut says that if your little girl is okay with the current formula (and if they are the same price) then stick with what you know is working. Fwiw, I am fairly certain that milk causes my older DD's nose to run like a sieve as well. She does fine with other milk products, but just drinking a glass of milk seems to get her every time.

I guess that I'll be going back to the store to get a new can of formula....sigh!

chlobo
07-29-2010, 05:18 PM
could you check the ingredient list between the two formulas? Maybe it isn't a diary issue. Maybe there is some other ingredient that is bothering him.

Indianamom2
07-29-2010, 05:35 PM
I believe I did check the ingredient list when I first saw the Enfagrow a few months ago. If anything, the Enfagrow might have had slightly less of something (percentage wise) or was missing an ingredient, but they looked virtually indentical. I threw away my last can of GentleEase, but I'm going to double check when I go to the store again.